Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Thank you Salim. Love my 3.27 R&P with my 1.8T. Would do it again without hesitation!

That is great news. I am excited to get more gears and have more customers enjoy their van. Thank you again for taking the leap.

Regards,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Update:

They are here!! I have three ratios available now, 3.73, 3.27 and 3.08. The 3.73 is good for the 2.1, 2.2,2.3,2.4,2.5 WBX motors, 2.2 Subaru,tico and other motors with less than 135 HP. Once you get to the Subaru 2.5, VW 1.8T and similar HP then the 3.27 is the preferred ratio. For everyone with a V6, TDI or with a motor over 190HP then the 3.08 would work great.

Get yours today at www.countryhomescampers.com

Cheers,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I just received confirmation that the container with my Reimo half tops are on the water and are expected in Oakland on November 30. I should be able to pick up your items about 5 days later. Email me if you interested in these tops:
[email protected]

Cheers,
mikterkris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

I'm extremely satisfied with Salim'S 3.27 gears and highly recommend them! It's the perfect match for my 2.5 SOHC Subaru in my 1986 Westy.

Trans was rebuilt by GTA with RV torque converter, Peloquin LSD and tweaked valve body for the 2.5. I used a Derale 13760 trans cooler with a GW heat sink cooler in line as well. I had it so I used it. No issues with temps, trans shifts like a dream and gears are quiet.

Matt Steedle Transmissions in Atco NJ installed the R&P for me. Matt had the gears REM polished at a local shop. Matt did a fantastic job and I highly recommend him for any trans work here on the East Coast!
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I will be receiving new gears by the end of January 2018. They are waiting at the airport ready to catch a plane. I will be getting more 3.27 R&Ps and 3.73 R&Ps. I have been selling my 3.08 R&P to Vanaru and Stephans Autohaus. They really like this ratio as well. I also can get a 4.45 R&P for the automatic transmission. Going higher means higher RPMs and but lots of torque.

Happy New Year!
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

What is the difference in torque and rpms between a 3.08 and 3.27 mated to a 1.8T auto?
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

@TYJ,

Depending on your tire size the 3.08R&P will drop your RPMs by 150 to 250. As for torque not sure what the difference would be. I would suspect it would be a slight difference. The turbo gives you a great advantage to generate torque fast. This ratio was developed for the 6 cylinder WB motor. I checked the Horsepower and found out there was three variants of this motor. They had 165HP, 170HP and 175HP. Anyway the 3.08 dropped the RPMs by 1000 compared to the stock 4.09 ratio.

Cheers,
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

New gears are here! They look fantastic.

Cheers,
DrMesmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Greetings, just found this forum. Are all r&ps spoken for? and will the 3.3 work with the 2.2 subaru?

I have a 1987 Weekender with 2.2 Subaru, automatic.

Thanks,

Tom Hobbs
Huntington Beach, CA
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Tom,

Welcome to the Forum. I have all ratios in-stock. Do you do a lot of mountain driving or flat land driving? Do you drive your vehicle everyday? Since you have a Weekender I would suggest the 3.27. If you had the camper I would suggest the 3.73. You can contact me at [email protected] or check out my website at www.countryhomescampers.com.

Cheers,
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

I had the 3.08 R&P installed a few hundred miles ago, in my Westy Multivan, auto trans. I have a 1.8T engine, including SAH's performance exhaust system. Advertised power with this setup is 200hp. My tires are 215/60/R16, so slightly taller than stock.

Prior to the 3.08 I had the 3.27 R&P for several thousand miles. (It broke, due to a problem with installation, by someone who won't be doing any more of them, so no need to ask who.) I may be one of very few people who have lived with both configurations for any length of time. I haven't yet done a long road trip, but around town here in Santa Cruz, driving over Highway 17 a couple times (a fairly steep and winding mountain pass, 50mph speed limit), and all around the SF Bay Area, I'm very happy with the change to the 3.08.

The 3.27 R&P with the 1.8T and the auto trans was perfectly satisfactory (and pure joy compared to stock), but there were small quirks that I occasionally wondered about. It would shift out of 1st really quickly, and be in 3rd before you knew it. At speeds around 50-55 on certain inclines, I sometimes I felt like 3rd gear was a little too tall, and 2nd gear a little too low (high revs).

With the 3.08 (so far), this seems to be cured. Shift points are a little higher. Accelerating onto a freeway (not floored, but nearly), it shifts to 3rd around 50mph or so. Maneuvering around town it spends a little more time in 2nd than it used to, and it feels right. Climbing steeper highway stretches, it will shift down to 2nd more readily, but it doesn't feel too low (too high revving) when it does.

At 65 to 70 on the flats, RPMs are around 3000 to slightly above, maybe 150 to 200 lower than with the 3.27. (Just a guess, don't sue me if my estimate is off.) That small difference has resulted in a noticeable change in how it drives, and I'm very happy with the result. I believe SAH is now recommending the 3.08 for new 1.8T/auto installations.

Dan
p.s. I don't yet have a sense of what impact there may have been on mpg.
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

katzenjammer wrote:
I had the 3.08 R&P installed a few hundred miles ago, in my Westy Multivan, auto trans. I have a 1.8T engine, including SAH's performance exhaust system. Advertised power with this setup is 200hp. My tires are 215/60/R16, so slightly taller than stock.

Prior to the 3.08 I had the 3.27 R&P for several thousand miles. (It broke, due to a problem with installation, by someone who won't be doing any more of them, so no need to ask who.) I may be one of very few people who have lived with both configurations for any length of time. I haven't yet done a long road trip, but around town here in Santa Cruz, driving over Highway 17 a couple times (a fairly steep and winding mountain pass, 50mph speed limit), and all around the SF Bay Area, I'm very happy with the change to the 3.08.

The 3.27 R&P with the 1.8T and the auto trans was perfectly satisfactory (and pure joy compared to stock), but there were small quirks that I occasionally wondered about. It would shift out of 1st really quickly, and be in 3rd before you knew it. At speeds around 50-55 on certain inclines, I sometimes I felt like 3rd gear was a little too tall, and 2nd gear a little too low (high revs).

With the 3.08 (so far), this seems to be cured. Shift points are a little higher. Accelerating onto a freeway (not floored, but nearly), it shifts to 3rd around 50mph or so. Maneuvering around town it spends a little more time in 2nd than it used to, and it feels right. Climbing steeper highway stretches, it will shift down to 2nd more readily, but it doesn't feel too low (too high revving) when it does.

At 65 to 70 on the flats, RPMs are around 3000 to slightly above, maybe 150 to 200 lower than with the 3.27. (Just a guess, don't sue me if my estimate is off.) That small difference has resulted in a noticeable change in how it drives, and I'm very happy with the result. I believe SAH is now recommending the 3.08 for new 1.8T/auto installations.

Dan
p.s. I don't yet have a sense of what impact there may have been on mpg.

AyAyAy....more to consider as I was just about to pull the trigger on the 3.3 for my recently converted 2.0T. Let me make sure I am following....

Shouldn't the 3.3R/P shift from first to second, and second to third, LATER than the stock 4.09R/P?

You are saying that, with the 3.3, it was still feeling like it was shifting too early?

I appreciate your thoughts!
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Another question for the group:

On the CHC website, on the 3.27R/p page, and under the "technical data" tab, is the following information:

Quote:
Table I

4.09 vs 3.27 Super Flier Ring and Pinion Comparison: Heat (Temperature in Celsius) and mean RPM

Our tests to determine transmission heat changes gave us the following results. They show that there is minimal difference in transmission temperature between the two R&Ps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Comparing stock to the 3.27 at 70mph, it shows the temperature INCREASING 81C to 94C, or from 178F to 201F.

Is this really a "minimal difference," as they say? This would suggest that with the new RP, the transmission in their test set up would generally be running 20F hotter than stock.

From this source:
http://transmissionrepairguy.com/transmission-temperature-gauge/
Quote:
The ideal range for fluid temperature is between 175 and 225 degrees, and every 20 degree drop in fluid temperature can help to double the life of your transmission..."

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The inverse of this is of course that a 20F INCREASE in operating temperature would be expected to HALVE the life of the transmission.

Thoughts on this?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Do those temp figures include an external ATF cooler? If not, then you'd want to factor in a means of mitigating those temp increases via a large heat exchanger. I wouldn't run an engine with higher torque output or taller R&P ratios without a cooler.

Needs more information.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:
katzenjammer wrote:
The 3.27 R&P with the 1.8T and the auto trans was perfectly satisfactory (and pure joy compared to stock), but there were small quirks that I occasionally wondered about. It would shift out of 1st really quickly, and be in 3rd before you knew it. At speeds around 50-55 on certain inclines, I sometimes I felt like 3rd gear was a little too tall, and 2nd gear a little too low (high revs). ...

AyAyAy....more to consider as I was just about to pull the trigger on the 3.3 for my recently converted 2.0T. Let me make sure I am following....

Shouldn't the 3.3R/P shift from first to second, and second to third, LATER than the stock 4.09R/P?

You are saying that, with the 3.3, it was still feeling like it was shifting too early?

I appreciate your thoughts!

Yes, that's what I'm saying. However, please understand a few things to put that in context:

a) I'm no expert in these matters, just some joker who drives a Vanagon and made some casual observations.

b) I made little to no effort to rigorously evaluate the before and after when changing from stock R&P with the WBX to the 3.27 R&P with the 1.8T, other than to say "Wow, this is a lot better!"

c) Similarly, I did not rigorously evaluate the change from 3.27 to 3.08 either. I do think I like it even better with the 3.08, but I didn't carefully note the shift points before, so I can't *carefully* compare them after.

d) Lots of people are happily driving the 1.8T Auto w/ 3.27 R&P and offering zero complaints about shift points, drivability, etc.

e) I don't know a darn thing about the 2.0T you mention, so I have no opinions about what R&P ratio would be best.

f) In deciding whether to replace my 3.27 with another of the same ratio, or go with the 3.08, I just asked Stephan White what to do and trusted his judgement.

Best of luck with your van.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Aren't the shift points regulated by throttle position relative to RPMs? Aren't there adjustments that can be made to move the shift points up or down relative to those data inputs? I don't have any experience servicing these transmissions, but on offbrand units I can adjust those settings via the throttle input cable.

I'm asking because I regularly service an RJE 2.3L that has tons of low end torque, but the trans inevitably upshifts before hitting peak torque, which is a kind of blue balls situation. No bueno.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Do those temp figures include an external ATF cooler? If not, then you'd want to factor in a means of mitigating those temp increases via a large heat exchanger. I wouldn't run an engine with higher torque output or taller R&P ratios without a cooler.

Needs more information.

It doesn't explicitly say, but I thought the chart was giving essentially pre and post cooler temps ("temp in" and "temp out",) which I would presume would mean they were using an external cooler---no way to get these figures if it was a stock cooler.

EDIT: Also, they sell this cooler, so I can't imagine they didn't have it set up on their test rig. https://countryhomescampers.com/shop/super-flier-transmission-cooler-kit/
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Man.. this stinks.. if you bought 10 they are 760 bucks.. $1,600 seems like a lot of money for just the gears.
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

?????
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Just got my van back from the install--VW 2.0T, ~165HP and ~200ft. lbs @2500.

Having driven about 1000 miles on the engine conversion with the stock gearing, I can say that there is noticeable reduction in off-the line acceleration with the new gearing, and it feels a little more sluggish up to about 45mph. Its still way better than the stock gearing/WBX combo. So, around town, a little less oomph, needs a little more throttle.

Stays in 2nd until 40-45 usually, depending on load. Kicks down from 3rd to 2nd up to about 60mph.

At 60-70mph, its really very noticeably quieter and smoother. Acceleration doesn't feel much different at these higher speeds--probably because the engine is now revving closer to its power band at highway speeds?

I have a temp sensor installed in the send line to my transmission cooler, and the trans does appear to be running ~20F hotter with the new gears. I am now fairly easily hitting 200F on a sustained mild incline in 60F ambient temps. I am thinking I will add a version of TKs air scoop to my trans oil pan, and if that doesn't suffice, move to a bigger trans cooler.

I'll be taking it on a longish 4 day trip next weekend, including over the mountain pass, so I'll be curious how it feels there and what fuel economy I see.

Also, a little plug for Ed's transmission in Seattle: They are the go-to place for vanagon AT transmission work around here. I had this transmission rebuilt by them a few years ago, with a Peloquin installed at that time, and they were a real pleasure to work with then. They did the 3.27 R&P and were again wonderful.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: