Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Easiest/best way to remove rear spring?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Easiest/best way to remove rear spring? Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I need to take the rear driver side spring out to replace the rubber bump stop and the pad, both missing on my Syncro. But those spring compressors in the $35 range look pretty cheesy and I think you need two of them, no, for each spring?

Any way to fab a compressor? Or maybe just hold the spring together, then jack up the rear of the van?

Searched the archives, didn't find a lot.

Any simple way to do this?
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Easiest/best way to remove rear spring? Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
Hey folks,

I need to take the rear driver side spring out to replace the rubber bump stop and the pad, both missing on my Syncro. But those spring compressors in the $35 range look pretty cheesy and I think you need two of them, no, for each spring?

Any way to fab a compressor? Or maybe just hold the spring together, then jack up the rear of the van?

Searched the archives, didn't find a lot.

Any simple way to do this?

Its been written about.. but is always buried in a thread about installing lift springs.
And yes.. the $35 jobbers are junk.

Anyway.. You should not need spring compressors to remove rear (or front) springs.

Unbolt the shock.. make sure your brake line (flex) is free to move.

Put a foot on the control arm and push down hard.
(You should have the vehicle on jack stands under the frame members.)

The spring will be free enough to move around by hand.. a large screw drive or small pry bar is all you might need to pop the lowest coil of the spring over the perch bump that "holds" it in place.

If you have too much resistance and the swingarm won't droop far enough, it is likely your CVs that are holding the swing arm up.. two choices, then. Unbolt a CV, or use a spring compressor.
But niether my stock 2WD Westy GL springs or my replacement syncro.org springs required use of a spring compressor.
Others may chime in on the GW springs.

If your spring is new and shiny.. you might want to use some protection to help minimize scratching the spring paint/coating.

Installation is the reverse.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..

Last edited by j_dirge on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the rear springs just as described. No need for compressors. I've also used the $35 spring compressors on other vehicles. You get two at Harbor Freight for that price. They worked fine. I'd use them once or twice, but not if I were a full time mechanic.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all I need to know...except why that bump stop would be missing in the first place...
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
Thanks, all I need to know...except why that bump stop would be missing in the first place...

One of mine went missing after installing AirLift bags (since removed)inside the springs.
I think the bump stop working against the bag broke it loose. (They are only held in place by a button of rubber pressed inside the column?)
But how the thing got out from inside the coils? Its a mystery to me.

I am wanting to put new ones in.. but won't be tearing it down again for awhile.

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge, question for you. Most of the air lift bags I have seen have the fill valve in the center. What did you do to provide for a way to fill them? Thank you.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
j_dirge, question for you. Most of the air lift bags I have seen have the fill valve in the center. What did you do to provide for a way to fill them? Thank you.

We are talking the little pink bags from AirLift? correct?
Per Airlift, I turned them on thier sides and ran the tubing out between the coils of the spring.. then ran the lines (allowing excess for travel) up along the frame back to the license plate opening.. where I left the two filling valves separate for independent adjustment.

It worked OK for 6 months.
Leaks developed at the nipple of one.. and then same with its replacement.
Other side worked fine.

danfromsyr wrote:
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the spring may have damaged the valve? Do you have a link to the air bags you are talking about? I remember a thread where someone had deleted their springs and replaced them with heavy duty air bags. I like the idea of having both. Thank you.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Do you think the spring may have damaged the valve?

Yes.

Check your PM.

danfromsyr wrote:
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, spring hitting the air inlet is a worry I have. Just installed these today.

Turns out the stop bump area was all rusted out, so I welded on a 1" pipe coupling and crammed a piece of radiator hose around it. I had to burn a couple of 3/64" sticks in there to get it to hold. We'll see if it lasts.

The airlift cushions seem like they work to hold the van up a bit, and it seems to handle a little better on the freeway. Time will tell if they last. Somehow I can't imagine them getting too far on washboard.

Pop! Pop! At least I'll know what it is.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: