Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Riviera Stuff FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of Riviera is this? It has the roof cut all the way back to the rear hinges, so no sleeping up there i guess. Just alot of extra head room.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
compdrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only picture I have of mine with the top open. 68 Rivi Currently redoing a lot of the interior.

But here are some of her when we bought her about a month ago.

freaknbusses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

this is my riviera pop top late bay from 1975

i'm missing the roller from the shelf
somebody can make a detail picture from that?

Casey Ryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

golf-classic wrote:
hi

i'm missing the roller from the shelf
somebody can make a detail picture from that?

Where'd you get those awesome pillows?

Blog: www.facebook.com/VWBusBlog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
colbythompson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://imageshack.us/a/img96/1448/d2j8.jpg

Necropost!

This thread could keep being helpful for more riviera folks, anyone have any recommendations on how the hell to get my hands on new seals for my sliding glass windows? I've contacted a few dealers, busdepot, westcoastmetric, and they always reply with "Don't have those, look at the samba." Any help would be really appreciated! In case the link doesn't work, I have the same sliding window as on the above bus (Casey Ryan's post)
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Riviera ASI ? Jump seat and storage box Reply with quote

Riviera ASI ? Jump seat and storage box

westy_LA_fade_away
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff Reply with quote

Hi All - can anyone tell me anything about this stove/table? I just scored the stove and i believe it is for a 74-75ish Rivi? Top metal was a little rough, so I just cleaned it up with a little paint - looks pretty good.

I only have the top part, not the full cabinet, so I plan to build a cabinet for it and drop a vintage coleman fridge in underneath... also, any idea of what the table application is for?? Never seen this one before...The laminate is a perfect match to my other Rivi tables - it was in the drawer, and is pretty small. No hinges, but a couple of bare wood pieces on the underside (almost like the old westy cushion that went between the jumpseat and coolbox??).

I'm going to try to pick up a few other trannys for more options.

Quote:
JacsWagen

Sometimes function over looks isn't bad, unless you're at a bar.

Cheers!

Marc Schumer
1990 Westfalia Camper
[email protected]

_______
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff Reply with quote

The small table top looks like the piece I have sitting on top of my sink. It covers the sink opening and I guess you could use it as a cutting board. Picture below. By the way, I got a good laugh reading the quotes at the bottom of your post...too funny!

VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff Reply with quote

westy_LA_fade_away wrote:

I only have the top part, not the full cabinet, so I plan to build a cabinet for it

If you are wondering, the stove unit you have there fits on the jumpseat(pictured in the post from LazyLightning75), but with the cushions removed(the back is on snaps and the bottom lifts out):

LazyLightning75 wrote:

The connection from the stove propane line to the tank mounted below the floor of the Bus is located inside the jumpseat base. Kind of an inside/outside cooking set-up Wink

In my Riviera(was a 1978) the stove was stored beneath the rear bed/seat.

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff Reply with quote

click on link
ASI (Automotive Services Inc. (Beaverton, Oregon USA)

Look for the model number on the stove and do a search. There are couple of Coleman stove manuals that have been archived.

Good luck
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

Rustymetty wrote: Original pop top mattress from our 73 Riviera.

GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

Hey guys,

we're in the process of planning Big Emma's restoration, and once more we find ourselves dreaming of a roofbox on the Riviera top.

Regardless of all the issues it brings - how to attach, how to pop the top with it, and countless more - has anyone here ever seen (and maybe taken a picture) of a Rivi with a roof box?

I feel like we can't be the only people having this desire, and somebody must have done it before in the last 40 years. I mean... right?

Any pointers are appreciated, thanks guys!

Sven
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

Wow, Sven....
I think you're asking a lot of a design not meant to handle a load like that.

...Any roof box would have to be attached securely to the fiberglass top, without creating stress fractures in the fiberglass.
...Then, the raising mechanism would need to be beefed up to handle the additional load (which probably would be the easiest part of the project).
...Finally, you'll want B.E. to handle safely after raising the center of gravity.

That's a lot of obstacles to overcome. And I'm sure others will chime in with additional concerns.

Can ya tell I have doubts about this idea? Laughing

Ben built and installed a roof box on his splitty for one season of Kombi Life. I vaguely remember a comment by him of the mistake in doing it. Have you discussed the concept with him?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

Gotta go with KentPS on this one- When my top came off for rebuild- I was amazed at how flaky the wood round the top was and those little nylon rollers were not working well after years of neglect- (worn flat from not rolling.)--

There is the space on top of the cab- I'm planning a 5gal side mt propane tank for there, (more ground clearance with the under tank removed) Then a small boat gas can and one of those H.F. 800 wt gens. No solar, or other over weight items.

I think I can store all my blankets and cloths up top when the upper bunk is with out a mattress-(might just double up the mattress below -in case of company) then use the clothes closet for the heavy stuff.

Hope to meet you guys on the road some day- Very Happy

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

the Bay ASI tops are much stronger than the Vanagons ASI tops.. but I wouldn't put racks up there without a good backer on the inside side of the fiberglass to spread the loads..

IMO the ASI roof is a better candidate than the early 73-down Westfalia tops.. those are fairly flimsy.. and you see racks on those all the time..

as mentioned you would need to update the rollers.. the CHC guys sell new HD ones with bearings.. but at @$34 a 'truck' I think there's 10 'trucks' on a top.

also you would need to either stiffen the assist springs, or some other method to aid the counter balance. at the minimum a prop rod, you wouldn't want the roof to settle down on you overnight..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

Mine did come with some cross bar rack- but one was torn off by low over head. It was fastened to sides with a "fake gutter" piece.

[img]
[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

Check out this Vanagon build where he is adding carbon fiber to reinforce the westy roof. Some good ideas there. You could always fiber glass/carbon fiber in all your roof mounts for really strong rigidity and then repaint the roof.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8248630

When I refreshed my Rivi top I sanded the insides and applied another sheet of fiberglass cloth with a thick coat of resin before painting. Just adding another layer of fiberglass made the top much more rigid and it doesn't have much flex at all now. I haven't added any roof racks, boxes, etc. though so I don't have any real world experience on that topic.
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers and pictures, guys!

Kent, Bill, I hear you. I know it wouldn't be easy, and maybe it's a terrible idea in general. But it just would be sooo nice to have the storage space.

So as far as I can see it there are the following issues:
- Roof and box will be too heavy to push up.
- Fiberglass might not be strong and rigid enough to support the weight of a filled roofbox.
- The hardware (rollers specifically) are not built for this kind of weight.

I could use hydraulic struts or stronger springs to overcome issue #1. Maybe I could reinforce the roof with another layer of fiberglass or even build a wooden or metal reinforcement into it to solve #2. I'm sure there's a way to build/get stronger hardware somehow.. Huh.

The bottom line is, nobody seems to have ever seen a Rivi with a roofbox as far as I can tell. If I ever manage to get Big Emma one, she's gonna be even more one-of-a-kind than she already is.

Ives, I'll check out the Vanagon thread, thanks!

Bill, let's try to meet up next summer when we're back on the road. Maybe you'll even see B.E. with a roof box Razz

Thanks again guys, I'll ponder this question for another while. If I actually build it, I'll start a thread about it. Won't be til spring though Smile

Sven
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westy_LA_fade_away
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

Hey Sven - what about a trailer hitch mounted box... or something like this?

I'm going to try to pick up a few other trannys for more options.

Quote:
JacsWagen

Sometimes function over looks isn't bad, unless you're at a bar.

Cheers!

Marc Schumer
1990 Westfalia Camper
[email protected]

_______
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

has anyone ever turned the front luggage fiberglass area into a box? look stock, but squared off on top and lid/cubbie doors for putting stuff?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: