Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Riviera Stuff FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Latches!! Reply with quote

bummerbus wrote:
So I was trolling around on the samba the other day and was looking at posts about the side windows. This inevitably lead me to look up the peninsula glass co. and it's associated companies, where I found these.

http://www.boatwindows.com/shop-parts/#!/~/product/category=2987891&id=13097628

They look almost exactly like some of the window latches I saw in pictures. I ordered some and haven't have had a chance to install them, but they line up just about perfectly with the holes in the windows.

Cheers fellow rivierians!

Did you buy the series 1200 latch kit? Looks like a good match.
bummerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did buy the 1200 series.
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Latches!! Reply with quote

bummerbus wrote:
So I was trolling around on the samba the other day and was looking at posts about the side windows. This inevitably lead me to look up the peninsula glass co. and it's associated companies, where I found these.

http://www.boatwindows.com/shop-parts/#!/~/product/category=2987891&id=13097628

They look almost exactly like some of the window latches I saw in pictures. I ordered some and haven't have had a chance to install them, but they line up just about perfectly with the holes in the windows.

Cheers fellow rivierians!

I'm thinking this could have been ASI's original supplier, as the site says they have over 30 years experience with camper conversion windows as well being in Vancouver Washington as is ASI; Riviera Motors was right across in Beaverton, they are all within 20 miles of each other. That is very cool. Very Happy
EMPIFLAKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen this thread befor pretty cool! Happy to see theres a thread we can talk Rivi in! Heres some pics of my 77 Rivi I picked up late 2012 ! I think its all original ! Love it its been a blast to camp in and love the pop top!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

velo96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMPIFLAKE wrote:
Never seen this thread befor pretty cool! Happy to see theres a thread we can talk Rivi in! Heres some pics of my 77 Rivi I picked up late 2012 ! I think its all original ! Love it its been a blast to camp in and love the pop top!!

Nice looking bus!! I'm a rivi guy myself. Mine is a 79 weekender.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bummerbus wrote:
Yes I did buy the 1200 series.

Cool. thanks for posting that info.
bummerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Cdennisg, I was super excited to randomly find them. Finally get to take out my wine cork blocks to keep them from sliding around.

Nathansnathon, it is my understanding that yes these guy are the orgional suppliers. Though other members previous interactions with them shows that no one there knows that they made windows for buses back in the day.

***UPDATE***

I finally had some time to install one of the latches and its a drop in replacement. The only difference I can spot is the mounting sleeves that go through the glass and the screws, screw into are now plastic. The old catches I had on my frames are aligned perfectly.

I will try and post some pics in the next few days.
BoyWonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:
I found a link to a thread that Karl had put up in 2005 that explains the 'knobbed' riviera sliders; they are 78-79.

He talks about the vw sliders in there, too.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145177

Are we sure this slider is made by ASI? I thought this was a late bay slider from VW with the Riviera screen simply screwed into the trim? I have the same set up on my 79 Riviera. I will post pictures of mine below.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoyWonder wrote:
nathansnathan wrote:
I found a link to a thread that Karl had put up in 2005 that explains the 'knobbed' riviera sliders; they are 78-79.

Are we sure this slider is made by ASI? I thought this was a late bay slider from VW with the Riviera screen simply screwed into the trim? I have the same set up on my 79 Riviera. I will post pictures of mine below.

I am pretty sure that you are correct. Riviera may have added the screens, but the windows were widely used on 78-79 bays that were not campers.
BoyWonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below are some pictures of my Riviera before and after restore. There is some debate on whether or not the interior was a PO install or not. Whatever the case may be I guess it would be considered a "weekender". The only thing that is different from the original is the upholstery; the bed, closet/jumpseat and table all stayed the same. I am still working on the curtness but I went with the same flush mounted style plastic runners.

Before:

After:

This is the link to my re-buld thread if you want more pictures. On page 4 another Samba member posted some pictures of his interior that is identical to mine right down to the heating vent on the floor.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=485350&start=60
BoyWonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at a VW show this spring and saw this pass-through Riviera. The thing that I thought was the coolest was the pedestal he had for the table. The table leg rested in it just like the socket mounted on the floor of the bus.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoyWonder wrote:
The table leg rested in it just like the socket mounted on the floor of the bus.

Here's a folding version, pretty cool, may just get one for the truck camper Cool

http://www.dyersonline.com/heng-s-porta-leggs-folding-table-leg-base.html

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bummerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoyWonder wrote:
nathansnathan wrote:

It is my understanding from the various window threads that Riviera used a few different styles of sliders over the years. There seems to be an early type with screw in frames or trim,  I have seen on split windows and possibly early bays. Next is the type that I have and the posted latches fit into, made by the peninsula glass co. also seen in EMPIFLAKE's photos above. And then a third type you posted using the standard VW slider.  

It could also be a reflection of the options for Riviera converted campers, as I recall reading somewhere that you could bring your van in to have an interior converted.
BoyWonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bummerbus wrote:
BoyWonder wrote:
nathansnathan wrote:

It is my understanding from the various window threads that Riviera used a few different styles of sliders over the years. There seems to be an early type with screw in frames or trim,  I have seen on split windows and possibly early bays. Next is the type that I have and the posted latches fit into, made by the peninsula glass co. also seen in EMPIFLAKE's photos above. And then a third type you posted using the standard VW slider.  

It could also be a reflection of the options for Riviera converted campers, as I recall reading somewhere that you could bring your van in to have an interior converted.

That all makes sense, it's kind of a bummer the way my screens where just screwed into the window rubber and the lip that the rubber rests on. A little rust cleanup was needed when i replaced the rubber.

I am hesitant to put them back on for the same reason. I wish I could figure out a way to make them removable so that I can actually open the sliders while I am driving. They whistle so badly if you drive more then 10MPH but they sure are nice on a hot summer night....
BoyWonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
BoyWonder wrote:
The table leg rested in it just like the socket mounted on the floor of the bus.

Here's a folding version, pretty cool, may just get one for the truck camper Cool

http://www.dyersonline.com/heng-s-porta-leggs-folding-table-leg-base.html

That thing is cool, it would be nice to be able to use the table outside the Bus for sure.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoyWonder wrote:
bummerbus wrote:
BoyWonder wrote:
nathansnathan wrote:

That all makes sense, it's kind of a bummer the way my screens where just screwed into the window rubber and the lip that the rubber rests on. A little rust cleanup was needed when i replaced the rubber.

I am hesitant to put them back on for the same reason. I wish I could figure out a way to make them removable so that I can actually open the sliders while I am driving. They whistle so badly if you drive more then 10MPH but they sure are nice on a hot summer night....

I have wondered about how to make them easily R&R'ed, too. Screens make too much noise in the wind. I have the earlier style of Riv sliders and I always slide the screen back if the window will be open while driving.
BoyWonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
BoyWonder wrote:
bummerbus wrote:
BoyWonder wrote:
nathansnathan wrote:

I have wondered about how to make them easily R&R'ed, too. Screens make too much noise in the wind. I have the earlier style of Riv sliders and I always slide the screen back if the window will be open while driving.

I was toying with some sort of top and bottom channels that they can slide into but I can't see how it wouldn't end up looking horrible with the screen off or what I like to call "most of the time". I have had good luck with rare earth magnets (i used them on one of my cushions instead of snaps and they work great) but cant figure out how to make it work.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoyWonder wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
BoyWonder wrote:
bummerbus wrote:
BoyWonder wrote:
nathansnathan wrote:

I was toying with some sort of top and bottom channels that they can slide into but I can't see how it wouldn't end up looking horrible with the screen off or what I like to call "most of the time". I have had good luck with rare earth magnets (i used them on one of my cushions instead of snaps and they work great) but cant figure out how to make it work.

Magnets may be the trick. Plus, if you paint the screen frame black and use black screen, I think they will become much less obvious and ugly. Be sure to make yourself a little sign that you stick over the speedo that says "Remove Screen!" or something like that, so you don't drive away and lose the screens.
bummerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I though I would let you all know that I have been doing some more looking into the sliding windows and the current products produced by peninsula glass. I came across their 900 series windows, which based off of their images has seals and felt sliding tracks similar to ours. I emailed them looking for more details, and potentially getting some samples sent my way, as well as the ability to purchase the seals by the foot if they fit the bill. I will let y'all know what I hear back from them.

****update****

Ok so I got a reply from the folks at peninsula glass. In the email I was directed to the 1/4 inch glazing spline used in their higher end window models. Seen here http://www.rvwindows.com/shop-parts/#!/~/product/category=3270220&id=13953753

I prodded a bit more and got some samples sent my way. Here is what they sent me.

The stationary glass seal;

The felt sliding window track unfolded;

The felt sliding window track folded into the u shape;

I test fitted the felt seal and it fitted fairly well. It looks like these are some very good possibilities for rebuilding the windows. I am going to email them and get some part numbers for anyone who wants to purchase the seals from peninsula glass.
bummerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In talking with the guys at peninsula glass, the felt and u channel are not normally sold so there are no part numbers for them but if you call and ask for 3/16th u-vinyl and sliding felt they will know what you are talking about. Price is $1.?? A foot for the felt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: