Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Riviera Stuff FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
noneed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bummerbus wrote:
In talking with the guys at peninsula glass, the felt and u channel are not normally sold so there are no part numbers for them but if you call and ask for 3/16th u-vinyl and sliding felt they will know what you are talking about. Price is $1.?? A foot for the felt

Nice.
Does that felt channel fit the OG VW sliders or the Rivi style sliders ?

I have the late VW sliders in my camper and ONE "screw thru the seal" type screen.
I was also trying to figure out how to make it removable like someone posted previously. Nice for camping but I refuse to screw it back on through the new rubber.
Has anyone conjured up a clean way to do it ?

Schwing wrote:
Bondo is like make-up, it fools the eye from the ugly truth
bummerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The felt fits the channel on the mid 70's riviera windows that I have. The channel is about 3/8ths wide so in theory if my math is right it should fit others around that size.
noneed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3/8" sounds about right....
If it wasn't 20 degrees outside and dark I'd be out there with a tape measure right now ~

Has anyone looked into having the screw in type screen frames for the late sliders made ?
I took the one I have to a local old school hardware store that still does screen and frame work.
I showed the owner mine and just got the deer in the headlights look...
Getting similar aluminum doesn't seem to be an issue, but bending those 2 curved corners is where I lost the few people I've showed mine to.

Schwing wrote:
manikmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone looked into having the screw in type screen frames for the late sliders made ?

We have some serious custom screen shops down here, what with home outdoor pool business and all. If some of you are in need, I could bring one of my screen to one or two spots and see what they say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noneed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manikmike wrote:
Quote:

We have some serious custom screen shops down here, what with home outdoor pool business and all. If some of you are in need, I could bring one of my screen to one or two spots and see what they say.

That would be awesome. Thank you !
I'd be interested in one if someone can make them like the originals.
No rush on my end...By all means take your time.

Anyone else in need ?

Schwing wrote:
manikmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - no luck at either spot - the hang up? The bend in the forward frame corners - neither place can do it... this really surprised me.

I've another place I want to hit... and then try the local RV dealer, since so many other parts of the conversion are standard RV parts. I can find bent frames online ( http://www.all-rite.com/custom-replacement-window-screens-p-101.html ), so maybe an RV dealer can narrow down a supplier...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoyWonder wrote:
I was at a VW show this spring and saw this pass-through Riviera. The thing that I thought was the coolest was the pedestal he had for the table. The table leg rested in it just like the socket mounted on the floor of the bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wow! good job finding that! I think it might be the exact OE Riviera part. Very cool idea Riviera had was to be able to set up the table outside the door , then move the stove outdoors (made possible cause the stove hooked up with a flex hose to the gas connector. Whole stove assembly stowed under the back seat when not in use. Frees up the counter space most of the time.)
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody found a source for the white plastic molding/ seal that goes all around the pop top where it meets the steel roof? Probably some off the shelf RV part. ASI did stuff that way. Westy moved that direction as well. (Mine is a 1976, but I think many years are the same.

Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
dugfresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
Has anybody found a source for the white plastic molding/ seal that goes all around the pop top where it meets the steel roof? Probably some off the shelf RV part. ASI did stuff that way. Westy moved that direction as well. (Mine is a 1976, but I think many years are the same.

Al

Mine is missing all that trim too. Not a huge priority for me, but something to think about locating.
EMPIFLAKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if the tripod leg setup these people sell

http://www.dyersonline.com/heng-s-porta-leggs-folding-table-leg-base.html

will fit the OG tube and table?? Also has anyone ever found the white trim for the top??
redbus Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also has anyone ever found the white trim for the top??

I used Pinch Welt that is used on the inside of a bug's pop out window. Here is a picture I had in the gallery.

The bus is dirty and the ratty canvas has since been replaced, but it shows the Pinch Welt. It had been on for about 7 years when the picture was taken. It looks the same today, about 4 years later.

The link is for j-bugs, but I don't know what brand I used. My local vw parts store had it on a big roll behind the counter. I used the white one, it also comes in black.

http://www.jbugs.com/product/113-131B-WH.html?Category_Code=PopOutWindows

"Her shaft is bent and the rear end leaks, you can fix her quick with an oily rag, use a nail to start her I lost the key. Don't pay any mind to that whirring sound. She uses a little oil but outside of that she's cherry." -- C.W. McCall
68aircooler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 75 Riveria! Do you guys know where I can get all of the info on these things? ps It has half of a westy interior, that needs to be fixed.
type2much
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the purpose of the small pop top on a riviera? Is it so you can stand up in the bus?

Did a Riviera small pop top bus start as a passenger sunroof bus or a a kombi/westy body with the hole or did Riviera cut in the hole?

Did they have belly pans to compensate for the hole in the roof?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

type2much wrote:
what is the purpose of the small pop top on a riviera? Is it so you can stand up in the bus?

Did a Riviera small pop top bus start as a passenger sunroof bus or a a kombi/westy body with the hole or did Riviera cut in the hole?

It is there to provide standing room, and a chimney effect for venting in warm weather. Not sure about the other questions.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
type2much wrote:

It is there to provide standing room, and a chimney effect for venting in warm weather..

X2, all of the Riv's I've seen started out as Kombi's or SW's and Riviera cut the hole in the roof, there are a few on former sunroofs and even some Westfalia holes but most seem to be added later. No belly pans or extra reinforcement, the attitude seemed to be "just get that camper whipped up and fast, cheap and out the door so we can make more, the public is eating them up and don't seem to notice the difference!".

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KaferBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Latches!! Reply with quote

bummerbus wrote:
So I was trolling around on the samba the other day and was looking at posts about the side windows. This inevitably lead me to look up the peninsula glass co. and it's associated companies, where I found these.

http://www.boatwindows.com/shop-parts/#!/~/product/category=2987891&id=13097628

They look almost exactly like some of the window latches I saw in pictures. I ordered some and haven't have had a chance to install them, but they line up just about perfectly with the holes in the windows.

Cheers fellow rivierians!

I was just going to post to see if anyone had come across these! I am missing just one of the screws and nut....might as well replace the latches too! I have a 77' Bay with Riviera interior.....but I suspect someone removed the pop-top and put what looks like a Adventurewagen high-top on it.
69 Deluxe Bus
1971 Super Beetle
BusThang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my '78 Rivi when I first brought it home.....

[/URL]

[/URL]

And now . . . . so far . . . . . .

[/URL]

Link to my build -

http://athensvwclub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1311
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Pondering a Rivi conversion Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've located a functioning and structurally sound, complete Riviera top in my area and a seller willing to cut the entire roof off of the Rivi as it's mainly a parts bus at this point.

I have a '75 Westfalia Weekender camper (love the Westy interior, not loving the tin-top) for which a pop top would be perfect. I love the Westy interior/Rivi top combo...IMO it's the best of both worlds given the Camper I already have (knowing it's solid, well maintained and with a great interior). We're a family of 4 (kids are 8 and 4) and a dog, and it's hard to see all of us fitting in the Weekender as-is (we do have a child cot for over the front seats).

I'll be having my Camper repainted in the next year or so and thought that might be the best time to have the Rivi top installed...but before I buy the top and begin putting the wheels in motion for this I wanted to get the opinion of folks in this topic (definitely more Rivi-friendly than those in the greater Bay forum, where I'm sure I'd hear "don't do that!").

The top functions as designed, has decent usable canvas but of course the screens have some holes. All the support struts, springs and hold-downs appear to be intact. I believe the seals are there but I'd want to replace those if they're available. Because I get the entire roof I have the entire complement of trim material.

What are the hard-to-find parts that would deteriorate over time and need to be replaced?

Anyone have topic links to anyone who has tried this before (I know there's that one external 'family' blog, but I can't find any details of the conversion on the site)?

Any general concerns or benefits I may have missed?

Thanks in advance!
- Doug
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh, Riviera top deal fell through :-/ I had been trying to contact the seller all week after seeing the top, to send my PayPal payment, and after 5 days finally hear that he sold the entire camper to someone else. Likely better for the camper and him, but I'm back to square 1.

Anyone know of any decent Riviera tips sitting atop long gone campers, or other Riviera tops that might be for sale?

Thanks!
- Doug
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wrenchman12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread! I've had a 73 Rivieria for 15 yrs or so. love camping in it! Here's a picture..

So anyways I am looking at replacing the white pop top seal and I was wondering if anyone has used this product from BD?

http://www.busdepot.com/231070100

its hard to tell from the picture what it really looks like.. you can order it by the foot which is nice. Its obviously black and not white though. wonder how that would look? Really more interested in knowing how well it goes on and stays on?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: