Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'72 SB Opinions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: '72 SB Opinions Reply with quote

Hello all, I'm stepping over from the dark side. I'm normally found in the Bay Window forum. I'm looking at a '72 SB for possible purchase.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are some rust issues.

The pans are solid with no rust, even under the battery. The motor is strong and was rebuilt by C & C VW Repair in N.C. The seller is asking $2000. With these issues how long until I would need to address them. I'm looking for a DD out of this and not expecting to do any major repairs until my buses are done. I realize the left coast has rust free bugs for this price but this is the rust coast. I had a '73 SB 30 years ago and a '69 20 years ago so I'm not a noob. But I'm more of a bus guy as I'm on my 5th and 6th buses currently. Is this worth it? Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
forested665
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rust along the running board is normal i very rarely see a bug on our end that doesnt have some rust there.

Im not sure what that fourth picture is so i cant give you an opinion.

But from what you've shown me the biggest thing i would be worried about is the rust in the trunk.

Supers have mcpherson struts, theres no torsion bar on the front so that panel in the turnk is load bearing for the entire car if it gets bad enough the strut can come through the fender and the body sink to the ground or if god forbid it happen while your driving its sure to be totalled and could probably kill who ever is in it. i would be leary of that and ahve it checked out or have a new body piece welded immediately
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks forrested, the 4th pic is rust around the torsion tube plate. I've seen a few SBs with rot near the strut tower and I think Mid America sells a replacement piece to weld in.
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you really like bodywork, ie: replacing rocker areas of heater channels or at the worst the whole heater channel and the area in the trunk, I would steer clear of this one especially for $2000. The best thing this car has going for it are the Marathon wheels and they aren't supposed to be on that car as it isn't a Baja/Marathon edition.

My guess is that if you kept digging deeper you would find even more rust. I would keep looking, you are bound to find a better candidate for less.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
gcan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an MGB with similar rust issues, rails fenders, and quarters....thinking I would repair it and have a nice car. Two years later it's on a trailer waiting to go to the junk yard. Way to much time and $$ invested and still needed to be invested. I look back and wish I had paid more or been more patient and shopped harder and then actually spent the time I wasted working on it to actually enjoy the car.

Bottom line, and what I missed, you need to keep in mind.... do you want to drive the car or work on it? For $2K I believe you could find one that you doesn't need such extensive repairs on the metal right away.

Just my $.02....it's your time and $$ being invsted

PS - when I bought my bug I spent the $$'s to get one that I can piddle with but still can drive everyday
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies (3). I told the seller I'll pass. I was thinking along the same lines and the thought was reinforced. I'll just save the dimes and get a desert car in time. BTW you late beetle guys don't talk alot. I would have had a crap ton more responses on the Bay forum. But thanks, I'll be back when I get one. Very Happy
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
Thanks for the replies (3). I told the seller I'll pass. I was thinking along the same lines and the thought was reinforced. I'll just save the dimes and get a desert car in time. BTW you late beetle guys don't talk alot. I would have had a crap ton more responses on the Bay forum. But thanks, I'll be back when I get one. Very Happy

Laughing We're just precise and to the point.

Your idea to bide your time, save your pennies and find a more solid candidate is the best decision. Supers are great if you will drive the car on a regular basis, they definately have pluses with relatively few minors IMHO. Rust issues are basically the same with Standards and Supers except for the trunk issue in your Super picture. The shimmies are relatively easy to work out, you have better trunk space, better ride, better turn radius and the babes will just flock to you.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Finks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get how Florida gets clustered with us true rust coasters in NE, especially when considering pricing. The big factor is the rain coupled with the salt from the snow removal. You for sure only have the moisture. 2k for that rust bucket is 1k too much imo, that is assuming it drives perfect and is stickered.

:edit: Being someone who peruses both bay and the late model beetle forums, we actually talk far more, just your topic was kinda vague. You will see by how quickly your post is pushed off the page due to countless "Can I put early model fenders/bumpers on my super" threads.

Quote:
Do Bentley's share a lot of the same parts as VW's? Wouldn't it make more sense to get the right manual for the car? Am I missing something?
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finks wrote:
I don't get how Florida gets clustered with us true rust coasters in NE, especially when considering pricing. The big factor is the rain coupled with the salt from the snow removal. You for sure only have the moisture. 2k for that rust bucket is 1k too much imo, that is assuming it drives perfect and is stickered.

:edit: Being someone who peruses both bay and the late model beetle forums, we actually talk far more, just your topic was kinda vague. You will see by how quickly your post is pushed off the page due to countless "Can I put early model fenders/bumpers on my super" threads.

Oh let's not start that shit all over again. I think the next person to start a thread posing that question should be banned for a month and allowed back only when they can prove they have mastered the search function.
1973 Super Beetle
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You will see by how quickly your post is pushed off the page due to countless "Can I put early model fenders/bumpers on my super" threads.

That's funny. The seller said he had to sell due to the economy. BUT... he wanted to RESTORE it "with those double bumper overider european bumpers". Laughing
brycastillo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sides under the door is part of the heater channel which is a frame for the body.

in the trunk, it's your suspension support

I would take a rotten floor pan than a rotten heater channel and suspension tower.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: