Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn Signal Issue
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kvorhies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Turn Signal Issue Reply with quote

I was cleaning all of my grounds in my vanagon, and when I was done realized I had missed one or two when putting them back on which had caused some problems Embarassed

However, now they are all on, all clean, no wires are touching each other, and I have a new problem. Now my turn signals work fine when my headlight switch is off, but when it's on my left turn signal light stays on solid in the back with the tail light as if it were a tail light and doesn't work as a turn signal, but the right turn signal works fine. I can't figure out what's causing it, and I'm getting really tired of sticking my arm out the window every time I turn left at night. Any suggestions?

Oh, and just so you know:

81 vanagon
air-cooled
manual
2.0L FI
snuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a bad bulb.
Switch the right turn signal bulb to the left side and left bulb to right side.
If same thing happens in opposite, replace Bulb(s).
yggdrasil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: I have a similar problem. Reply with quote

I have a simliar problem.
My front right turn signal when the lights are off lights up both of the elements as it blinks. It blinks faster than the other side which usually indicates that it is burned out.
The problem is that when the running lights are on it doesn't blink at all.
I'll have to check if both elements are turned on.
either way it just seems like you got a short in there, trace the wires back....
kvorhies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulbs are brand new... I haven't been able to find a short, but I'll keep looking.
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got the same problem myself only my left signal makes a loud buzzing sound when i turn it on. I have to manually move the turn signal bar to make it blink. If the lights are on it doesnt work at all but, the right works fine weither the lights are on or not. I checked all the bulbs and connections and everything looks in check and bulbs are good so im at a loss? Is there seperate flasher relays for the left and right? Any help from a more experanced member would be great!!! Thanks for any and all replies.
Cold Steel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiveraRambler wrote:
Ive got the same problem myself only my left signal makes a loud buzzing sound when i turn it on. I have to manually move the turn signal bar to make it blink. If the lights are on it doesnt work at all but, the right works fine weither the lights are on or not. I checked all the bulbs and connections and everything looks in check and bulbs are good so im at a loss? Is there seperate flasher relays for the left and right? Any help from a more experanced member would be great!!! Thanks for any and all replies.

me too....
heliodon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a new member of the Westfalia community I am so grateful to folks on Samba who share their experience-based wisdom. Without this resource I would be well and truly lost. Thank you.

I have also had turn signal weirdness in my 1990 Westfalia. I think I have fixed it but would like your opinion. The problem: my turn signals and emergency flasher worked fine until I turned on the parking lights or headlights. But with the parking lights on the turn signal would cause the lights in all four corners to flash dimly and more rapidly than normal.

I spent a pleasant couple of hours going over my new Bentley manual. I confess that the wiring diagrams are a humbling experience. Following the turning signal / parking light trace leads me to traces 58L and 58R which seem to connect to trace 58 at the light switch. If I follow trace 58 to page 97.133 it terminates in what looks like relay #7 but I cannot find mention of relay #7’s function (it doesn’t appear in the relay schedule on page 97.119).

Taking a break from the Bentley I went to the vehicle and removed all of the bulb holders to check their wiring and bulbs. They looked ok except the left rear assembly had some corrosion that led the PO to install a few jumpers (which checked out ok with a multimeter). I have read every Samba forum post I can find on turn signals and many point to ground discontinuities as a source of trouble. So, I made a 20-foot length of wire with alligator clips on each end. Using this I established a good ground between the main battery’s grounding strap and the grounds on various lamp holders. When I connected this test ground to the ground terminal on the left front parking/turn light assembly my problem went away.

I have now added a new local ground to that assembly. The fix only works if I keep the older ground connected too so there must be a relationship with grounds elsewhere.

Is this new local ground a reasonable fix? Is there anything else I should be looking for or can I give myself a pat on the back?

While I am asking for advice where can I find an explanation of the main traces in fuse panel “zone” of the wiring diagrams (e.g., 30, 15, X, 31)? And perhaps explanation of relays like #2 (2 in black rectangle at top of page 97.123), which are not listed in the relay schedule?
90 Westfalia (current)
91 Cabriolet (current)
60 Bugeye Sprite (good prep for VWs)
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey cris

not sure if this is what you want in part, but i found a table in the bentley, I can't give you a page number cause I scribed its contents off the site alldatadiy.com and the page # wasnt transferred in the copy.
the rails at the top of the pages Id as
1- ign coil/ ign distributor low voltage/ tach signal
15- switched batt+ voltage [B+] from ign/starter switch
30- [B+] battery positive voltage- hot at all times
31- ground
50- starter control, switched [B+] from ign/ starter switch
56- switched headlight [B+] from light switch
58- switched parking light, tail light illumination from B+ light switch
S- Key in ign circuit switched B+ from ign/starter switch
X- loaded reduction circuit, switched B+ from load reduction relay

voltage flows down from the top of the page to the ground rail at the bottom. These were good reminders for me when I went looking again.

I also had the tail lite harnass burn up from either a hot exhaust leak or a riding condition where all 4 or 5 wires right over the right rear bumper reciever were all melted together. that produced similar symptoms to what you describe, at least in part.

Last edited by thummmper on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heliodon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Todd - thanks, that helps a lot in understanding the wiring diagrams.
90 Westfalia (current)
91 Cabriolet (current)
60 Bugeye Sprite (good prep for VWs)

Last edited by heliodon on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
yield27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My front passenger signal stopped working on my 84 gl recently. I popped it open and discovered the socket that the bulb sits in was rusted really badly. I just replaced both sockets today and all is fine again.
yggdrasil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: this has been ppissing me off lately. Reply with quote

My problem as stated aerlier in this thread is still there. I am going to dig into it tomorrow.
linpatmcmillan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: signal lights Reply with quote

I had a rapid sigal light issue on the front left light. Fixed that with a new relay switch and shortly afterwards developed a problem similar to the some of the problems described in this forum.
There is a load buzz/rapid click sound that (sometimes) goes away or becomes quieter when
1. the vehicle speed is greater than 40MPH or so
2. when the signal light indicator is on
3. when the headlights are on highbeam

I was thinking about just changing the signal light switch and lever to see if that fixes it. Has anybody tried that solution? I'm not much of an electrician for sure.
Thanks for any advice.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for correct connections. Fixed my problem lickety-split...(identical to this thread's OP).

- RECENT SIMILAR THREAD -

linpatmcmillan wrote:
There is a load <loUd???> buzz/rapid click sound that (sometimes) goes away or becomes quieter when
1. the vehicle speed is greater than 40MPH or so
2. when the signal light indicator is on
3. when the headlights are on highbeam

Confused...
Buzz/click happens with turn signal & highbeams on, BELOW 40mph & goes AWAY above 40mph?

Cleaned all your grounds lately? What's your alternator putting out?
It may be marginal but managing to clear up the problem w/the higher revs.

Probably time to check the charging system, too...
http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs038/1101366761443/archive/1102264999530.html

Wink

Happy Trails!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
scubabrian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Turn signals don't work when headlights are on Reply with quote

I'm having a problem with my turn signals. The left signal is flashing fast and neither signal works when the headlights or parking lights are on. I've checked all the bulbs and grounds and all seems ok. I don't know if its related but I replaced the front clip and installed the SA Grill. I have the GoWesty light relays installed. All other electrical items are working properly. Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As posted in my previous link: Check your front signal wiring.
Common oversight after a paint job/grill upgrade/etc/etc/etc...

Passenger Side: (Note - ground in this pic is yellow instead of the usual brown)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Driver's side:

...Better yet? Good luck!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
ohheybrah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Running lights on driver side Reply with quote

yield27 wrote:
My front passenger signal stopped working on my 84 gl recently. I popped it open and discovered the socket that the bulb sits in was rusted really badly. I just replaced both sockets today and all is fine again.

Currently my driver side running lights only do not work. I checked and replaced all bulbs and that is not the cause. I did notice a little corrosion on the front socket but the turn signal still works. Would a bad socket on the driver side effect the rest of the running lights on the driver side? Just curious before I try and replace that socket as a next step.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
As posted in my previous link: Check your front signal wiring.
Common oversight after a paint job/grill upgrade/etc/etc/etc...

Passenger Side: (Note - ground in this pic is yellow instead of the usual brown)

Driver's side:

...Better yet? Good luck!

FWIW, I don't know if it's just me but my '85 was just the opposite. Brown/tan on center post is correct of course but the two outer wires switched makes everything work correctly (and no buzzing).

When I had them like the picture above everything worked except the turn signals blinked rapidly.

I did just put on new bulb holders from gowesty so I guess it's possibly there is a difference from the origianl holders. I don't have original ones to compare, a previous owner had the turn signals rigged.
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Issue Reply with quote

1983.5 Vanagon
Seems so simple.
The front parking/turn signals are both running too bright, as they are using both filaments at all times. The result is that when the turn signal is selected, the lamp blows.
I installed a new relay, checked the fuse connections and hunted for ground fault issues.
The bulb holders are new.
The lamps are new.
The ground tree is clean, all spades and connectors are new.
The SUSPECT seems latent in the wiring that supplies power to the passenger side front. The fuse does not blow, only the flasher/turn element.
Stumped. Anyone been here before?
There has been no definitive answer posted to previous inquiries : )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Issue Reply with quote

Check that you don’t inadvertently have a single filiment bulb installed which has a single contact in the middle which is shorting two of the circuits inside the bulb holder. The proper bulb has two contacts offset to line up with each circuit instead of shorting them like the single one does.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Issue Reply with quote

I had a similar issue. The previous owner had simply switched one of the wires at the turn signal. It is simply a matter of switching the wires back to the proper locations. I can’t tell you which wire is switched off the top of my head but this is most likely the issue. I had the exact same symptoms that you had. Exact. Hope this helps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: