Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help With AZ Emissions?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
learningbymistake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Help With AZ Emissions? Reply with quote

I just moved to Peoria from Utah, and my '67 (body is a '72) Beetle is now going to have to pass emissions.

I'm pretty new to VW's, and don't know a whole lot. A buddy helped me get it running pretty well in Utah before I came down, but now that I'm here, it's failing emissions HORRIBLY.

Hydrocarbons are coming in at 1500 loaded and 1100 idle, and my CO readings passed at load, but failed at idle (it was higher at idle than at load).

I was assuming my mixture to my carb was too rich, so I tried to adjust it but can't tell much of a difference in the "smell" department of the exhaust. I have an extra carb, so I put that on, and it smells less rich, but I can't get it to idle when warmed up.

Anyone have any ideas, or willing to help me out this weekend? My temporary registration is up on the 18th, and need it to get to work so my wife doesn't have to get up at 4:00 am to take me.

Thanks guys.
lupin..the..3rd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would a 43 year old car have to pass emissions? Something doesn't sound right about that. Check your local laws again. There is no way a 43 year old car is going to meet the same emissions standard as a modern car.

Remember, your '67 beetle has NO emissions equipment, no catalytic converter, no EGR, nothing at all. How could it possibly pass a modern emissions test?

In VA where I live, all cars older than 25 years are automatically exempt from emissions testing. I'll bet your state has something similar, or at least a special "Historic" registration you can get that will exempt you.
learningbymistake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In AZ, '67 and new must pass emissions.

Utah was '68 and newer.

I've checked, trust me. Only way out of it is to have collector car insurance, but you can only have that (with my company at least) if you drive less than 8,000 miles a year and park it in a garage.
lupin..the..3rd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that everyone's good friend, Benjamin Franklin, can help you "pass" an emissions test in most states... Wink
po7g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn I just looked up AZ emissions they say 66 and older are exempt. in Indiana it 75 and older. I would say if you know someone in a area that doesn't have emissions you can try and register it in there area with there name and address and you wont have to get emissions. I guess you could look up to see how the car was originally set up and they should be using the specs for your car for that year i cant see them changing the specs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car has to meet emissions standards for year of manufacture.
Contact Daryll at Bugzyla in Mesa. He can help you out.
Registering it out of county is a risk. If you commute to Maricopa county (in this case) you need the test done.
bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
learningbymistake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registering it out of county with another address will not be an option. I live in the city, and I work for the city to enforce the laws, so breaking them really isn't an option Wink

Don't think the bribe will either.

Unless you were saying Benjamin Franklin would help, i.e. spending the money to fix the problem. I'm sure that's what you meant Very Happy
vwman85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karls custom vw off Indian School is where I took my bug when I failed emissions. Paid like $75 for a tune up and carb re-jet. Good luck
lupin..the..3rd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

learningbymistake wrote:

Don't think the bribe will either.

In DC, there is ONE vehicle inspection / emissions test station for the entire city. It's the only place you can go if your car is registered in DC. It's a large facility with a lot of workers. The bribing there was so rampant in recent years, they just recently fired ALL the workers and hired all new staff. Everyone! It didn't even take $100, all you needed was $20 and you'd get yourself a "passed" sticker. Laughing The workers loved it though, they went home every day of the week with a roll of $20's the size of your fist. Shocked
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, '67 needs to pass here, AZ more strict than California. Like the few older vehicles make a giant impact here, but only in two largest counties yet !!! You may not only need collector insurance, AZ may require a historic plate (extra $$$) for that exemption.

The '67 needs to only pass the 1967 requirements, not modern-day ones. I think you need to have a mechanic look at it, they'd have test equipment so could at least check at idle and rev'd, even though they wouldn't have the treadmill set-up. I used to ALWAYS clean or replace plugs, tune-up, and clean my aftermarket air cleaner before the test.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2005 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Calexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryll in Mesa is amazing when it comes to tuning for emissions. I've taken my '74 to him both times I needed it adjusted for emissions. For 20 bucks he'll get you to pass emissions and tune it back to proper driving condition.

Here's his website: http://www.bugzyla.com/
learningbymistake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called Daryll and he's got a pretty sweet deal. He'll set you up to pass, and you go to get it run. If it fails, he won't charge you, and if you pass, you go back and he'll get it running sweet then charge you. Sounds like a good deal to me. I like people with the confidence to not charge unless they do it right. Won't be able to do it this weekend, but going in on Friday. Let you guys know how it goes!

Thanks for all the help guys!
Azsilverbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check with Hagerty insurance. They have collectors insurance and no limit on mileage.
65 Dune Buggy

You can tune a piano but you can't tune a fish
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give some perspective, when I was a smog tech in So Cal, late cars with dual vacuum distributors had to have idle tailpipe emissions of 400ppm HC at idle with ignition timing at 5 degrees atdc. So with that we can agree your engine is not as clean as it could be. It's been a few years but as I recall an older car with base timing about 5-10 degrees btdc @ idle will have an HC reading around 600-800 ppm. What specs do you need to meet or is a reduction sufficient to pass. HC is unburned hydrocarbons from an ignition problem or too rich or too lean to cause a miss-fire. Hopefully you locate a tech or shop that will help ypou get your engine in compliance PLUS running well. Let us know what happens, Bill.
learningbymistake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugzyla has been awesome. went to his shop today. he's been awesome trying to help me out. we haven't worked out all the kinks, but we're working on it. Later this week, we should have a passing emissions. m bug has needed lot of work and he's been awesome to help me out.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job!

For other readers,VW Performance is in PH, but was in California before 2001. Steve Hollingsworth has forgotten more about getting an aircooled to pass emissions than most people today know. He's got a new web-site too!

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: