Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front wheel alinement
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: front wheel alinement Reply with quote

we just put a narrowed front beam on my boys bug, and have an alinement problem with the pasenger front wheel. its in quite a bit at the bottom. we've checked everthing, it has all new parts plus drop spindals. what i was wondering was we had several front ends apart and could we have one of the spindal mounting parts (the part the link pins go through) upside down. i guess what i'm trying to say is we may have two for the same side, only one of them is upside down. what do you think Confused Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teuton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be one of the spindles is bent. I'd suggest other possibilities but I don't know how your front end is set up. Pics would help.

If you have extreme positive camber on the right front wheel, you could always let the air out of the tires on the left side of the car to bring things into alignment.
Egorspyle65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have both top and bottom torsion arms in the right places. Also check to make sure you have the link pins shimmed correctly. The haynes manual has a chart for shimming them.
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the air pressure thing why didn't i thjnk of that Laughing the spindles are new could they have been made that way, bent i mean. i check the part that the king pin gos through on another set and they have the same part no. i just can't see anything wrong the pasenger tire is in at the bottom probibly 1 - 11/2 in. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Egorspyle65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the bottom arms have the shock mounts on them?
teuton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bent trailing arm? Worn bushings/bearings inside the beam. Did you do the check with the straight-edge to determine the correct number of shims between the trailing arms and the link/king pin assy?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=408937&highlight=king+pin+shims
Egorspyle65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some pics of the set up. Might give us a better idea of whats going on.
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torsion springs could have been drilled wrong when they were narrowed.
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everthing looks as it should, i here that some people have got new drop spindles that were bent. this is a narrowed beam and is in perfect alinment. trailing arms look to be ok, checked both sides with a protractor. it has no torsion bars we have a threaded rod and air shocks. about the only thing it can be is the spindle. i don't have pictures as the car is now about 200 miles from me at my boys house but i may be able to get him to post some pics. i have a question though are the king pin holders the part the king pin gos in changable from right to left thanks
Egorspyle65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carriers on the back of the spindles are side specific if im not badly mistaken. That could also be a problem. Who built the spindles?
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a local import shop do the spindles. they should now better but notice i said should. anyway thats what i think is wrong. i can't look at the car its at my boys house now 200 mi away. we're trying to get this figured out over the phone. i'm thinking we gave them two of the carriers to put on the spindles for the same side they just turned one over and put it on.i think that they are differant they have differant king pin angles or maybe i'am thinking to much Smile
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a stock set up camber is controlled by the shim pack and where they go.

The measurment between the plain of the trailing arm faces determines where the shims go.

It is VERY extreamly important when narrowing a link pin beam that great care be taken to assure you don't get out of range of the shim chart for those trailing arms.

if one tube is cut shorter then the other, this will cause big troubles.

But in your case, you have no torsion bars, a narrow beam and drop spindles. Not much stock there to go by!

I would start back at the trailing arm faces and see just how close you are to the measurment in the book. If you are way off the shim chart specs, this could be where your trouble is.

Other wise, you may be on the right track with your spindles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: