Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How bad do I want that hot shower?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: How bad do I want that hot shower? Reply with quote

This guy has for the most part created what I have drawn up for my van. But, my god, seeing it all together like that, I think this just requires too much. Really this is for the fam, because I can surely get by with a fraction of this.

I don't mind toting around propane because there are many good uses. The hoses, meh, no big deal. Mounting a water pump and wiring it up...I think that could work fine. The 23"x6"x14" heater? Jeebus, that thing is huge.

Any ideas on reducing that clunky POS?

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad do I want that hot shower? Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
This guy has for the most part created what I have drawn up for my van. But, my god, seeing it all together like that, I think this just requires too much. Really this is for the fam, because I can surely get by with a fraction of this.

I don't mind toting around propane because there are many good uses. The hoses, meh, no big deal. Mounting a water pump and wiring it up...I think that could work fine. The 23"x6"x14" heater? Jeebus, that thing is huge.

Pilgrim you stutter Very Happy Very Happy

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad do I want that hot shower? Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:

Huh?

I have been mulling this one over for a while, but the reviews make it sound like this things is a junker.

Link

The instant hot water for a cup of joe is awesome, and it is much smaller as well. Not sure if it stays hot enough for a shower, as it shows someone manually holding the hot setting. I like the fact that you can hook it up to a tank, but the fact that you have to use their water source is just LAME.

carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad do I want that hot shower? Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:
Classicvibe wrote:

Oh, you are talking about the other exactly titled thread with a link to a shower instead of this one without a link? I confuse Embarassed
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad do I want that hot shower? Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:

Huh?

"Vis" is probably referring to the fact you made two threads, except this one doesn't have the link. Wink

Anyway, I prefer to haul around as little as possible and the smaller the items the better. My van came with the Zodi Hot Shower: http://www.zodi.com/Consumer/zodihottaptravelshower.html . I've yet to use it (hopefully will on an upcoming trip), but the reviews are pretty positive. It's compact, not heavy and costs less than that DIY version and the Coleman. It's not as "whiz-bang" as the Coleman, but "whiz-bang" isn't what gets this girl to buy a product. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Hot Shower Reply with quote

I'm buying one of these:

http://www.roadshower.com/onlinestore.html[/url]
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up...the other is deleted. I edited that post the minute after I submitted it. Not sure how that caused the 2X.

Anyway, here is that link:

http://www.campertrailers.org/water_heater.htm

Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot shower on demand installation
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4057487#4057487

a hand pump shower, you have to heat the water first, or fill it from a hot faucet
http://www.wetsandsurfshop.com/product.asp?prodid=2928

a battery powered shower pump, drop it into a container with hot water and youre done
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3337346#3337346

and here is a thread with a link to the $200 roadshower, and clear PVC pipe, if you want to make your own roadshower
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4760299#4760299

personally any shower that is solar, including the roadshower, is a non starter in most of the places I need hot water, which is, when I park in the shade, when I park in the fog, and when I park in the snow.. for me solar showers dont work in winter sun either..
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a search on "Propane Shower"

Jon_slider wrote:
> here is Bills shower and schematic

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the above install:

That unit gets too dang hot IMHO, and off-gasses. I have been kicking around a swing-away adaption that would get that out of the cab when functioning, otherwise that schematic is helpful, thanks.

ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
Regarding the above install:

That unit gets too dang hot IMHO, and off-gasses. I have been kicking around a swing-away adaption that would get that out of the cab when functioning, otherwise that schematic is helpful, thanks.

I have that setup and can vouch for how hot it gets. I absolutely would not put it inside the cabinet like that. Vanagons spontaneously combust enough on their own. I had one hanging off a bike handlebar (there is a handle at the top that is removed in that picture - sits about where the top of the cabinet is) and it melted a perfectly good XTR shifter - that was, again, about the same distance to the top of the cabinet in the installation in the picture.

Having said that, it is absolutely worth it for long trips. Three of us had hot showers every single day for 23 days. It needs a good water supply though. Three quick showers uses about 7 gallons of water (one of those blue cube containers).

I have a wood fired hot tub and occasionally get the heater out of the van to bring the hot tub up to temp in short order. Works great!
'90 Westy Syncro EJ25 (money pit #1)
'96 FZJ80 (cheap by comparison^^)
'13 Golf R. Daily driver.
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: How bad do I want that hot shower? Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:

snip,snip

I mounted the pump on the face of the heater. That and all the hoses fit into a 22"*12"*15.5" rubbermaid container. Not terribly bulky. I hang it off a piece of pipe that stores inside the Yakima rack crossbar
914 mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get one of those Solar showers from Big-5. Instead of filling it up with water and then letting it warm up on the hood of your car/top of bus, heat up a kettle of water on the stove, pour it into the bag and you will have a warm, inexpensive, very portable shower.
In a world full of ponies it's a thoroughbred horse....
Can ≠ Should
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to seem off-topic, but seriously, does anyone know where you can source different kinds of cantilever arms? I have two van projects that could use a cantilever (this being on of them), but all I can find are TV mounts.

Imagine rolling up to camp, cantilevering this around the side of the van for a shower - now we are talking. I am also considering a mount on the new RMW bumper swing-away. But wow, 7 gallons for 3 quick showers?!?! Yikes, how about propane consumption. At that rate, how many showers to kill say, one of those small propane canisters? Knowing what you know, would you consider that Coleman unit mentioned above?

Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

914 mike wrote:
Get one of those Solar showers from Big-5. Instead of filling it up with water and then letting it warm up on the hood of your car/top of bus, heat up a kettle of water on the stove, pour it into the bag and you will have a warm, inexpensive, very portable shower.

Mike, I realize this sounds, well, suburban of me, but being a systems person, I would like to centralize a single water source and a single fuel source and work from there. This reduces accidents and failures and learning curve and pains. By the time a get my stove out and hook it up just to heat a shatdload of water to pour over my head, I will be loony. Now enter wives and daughters...SEPPUKU!!!!!

ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:

snip, snip...
But wow, 7 gallons for 3 quick showers?!?! Yikes, how about propane consumption. At that rate, how many showers to kill say, one of those small propane canisters? Knowing what you know, would you consider that Coleman unit mentioned above?

But 3 very luxurious hot showers! I lug around one of those standard barbeque size ones. I can't say for sure how long it lasted, but I know I didn't fill it on that 23 day trip. I've been looking for a better shower head - a low flow kind. The ignitor on the shower needs flow to ignite though, so I don't know how that will react to flow constricted by the shower head.

I had originally had a Zodi that sat on a Coleman stove for heat and had a little battery-powered pump. It was a POS.

We still use a solar shower most of the time. The elaborate setup is for longer trips and trips where we have to mix in some work.
914 mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all give and take. The expense, presious space lost and time to engineer a system that an onboard hot water set up can provide just doesn't seem to be worth it IMHO. You already have an on-board water and fuel source. Is heating up a kettle of water on a stove really that much of an effort? Pouring it into a bag might be a little tricky. Hanging it from the rear hatch pretty simple.
How often are you really going to use your shower? If you're living out of your rig, maybe a fancy system would be worth it, but I think the K.I.S.S. shower is a much more sensible solution....
Just my $.02
Can ≠ Should
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, but I should have mentioned, I have a weekender. My water and fuel are likely to be in the rear somewhere, with a line to a stove that mounts on the rear swing away.

914 mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh.....weekender = big difference.

Good luck....
Can ≠ Should
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Zodi is the way to go if you want hot water for the Westy. It's smaller and more portable and can be located away from the van if desired. If I had the need, that would be the unit I would get.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: