Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36 horse header
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jake74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: 36 horse header Reply with quote

I would like to put a header on my bus,it is a 56 model with a ww okrasa kit on the 36.Does any one sell a header that will work with the og stale air boxes?
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine made...stainless and it wasn't cheap either time...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Surprised

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jake74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who built yours Todd?
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason at heritage motor research...727-.584-0277...he will need a few measurements to build it if you can swallow the cost...if so I can let him peep mine...let me know...

wanted:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jake74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I need too know how much it is before I go any further,by the way you talk it must be really expensive.
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pm sent...

wanted:
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger at A1 made a stepped sidewinder header for my 36 hp with the Okrassa kit. Pics will be up soon as I get ready to run it again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=268712
jake74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a contact # for A1.
Thanks
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:

I can vouch for these headers, although not the premier design, they are well made and of good stock. I'd like a set for my super if they made them for bigger engines.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger at A1 is real easy to deal with, even though he makes a living off of selling production units, he will talk to you about semi-custom headers. The quality and craftsmanship is A-1 !!! also a great value at about half the price of a full custom header

If you want over-the-top custom, expect to spend about $1000 usd for a TIG welded stainless custom header. about $400 of that is collector, flanges, megaphone and tubing. Vinnie at burnsstainless.com can help set you up with the right tube diameter and primary tube length, and recommend a collector.
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

Let's say my engine produces 65HP with a stock muffler. How much HP should I gain by adding a high quality header from A1?

Thanks,

Paul

Richard Feynman
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Hello-

Let's say my engine produces 65HP with a stock muffler. How much HP should I gain by adding a high quality header from A1?

Thanks,

Paul

If the piping size is correct, id bet 10 HP. Exhaust is everything, if the header was designed/tuned for the application youd be astonished at the numbers.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Hello-

Thanks,

Paul

This seems like a highly speculative type of question. so my advice is to take all the answers you get to it with a grain of salt because there are so many variables to any engine build. If anyone ever decides to start dyno-testing 36hp motors, one of the first things I would like to see is the difference between a factory style 36hp muffler, with the crossover pipes inside the can, and the typical aftermarket muffler with the #2 and #4 ports that dump straight into the can. Next would be the factory muffler compared to a typical header.
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: respect the old school low buck header Reply with quote

The $40 headers are actually a tested tuned header extractor and with the right muffler work fantastic. These headers he is selling were pioneered by empi and are era correct NOS Tbird or Treuhaft and are excellent quality. I cant remember the name of the Porsche guy who developed the extractor but he was a local cal racer guy in the 60s. Im using one on my okrasa style lowlight after having used a repro abarth. The performance increase from the extractor effect has added almost 4mph to my top speed. I had to jet up a size also. I run dual glasspacks which have been custom bent and tucked up and I love the look. The "smittys" style glasspacks are even era correct. Total cost about 150.00 bucks. A lot of custom work isnt engineered to the level that these headers were......they are a proven piece and are effective. For 40 bucks !
73 Thing original
57 MGA 1500 Coupe
71 K20 Suburban 3dr
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

Quote:
This seems like a highly speculative type of question.

What I was implying is that the additional HP provided by a high quality custom header comes at a very steep price. While one could argue that almost everything in the vintage speed world comes at a steep price, if I were to spend $1000 for an exhaust, I would want somthing that looked relatively stock, and had Porsche style internals (three chamber design, balance tube, etc.).

Paul

Richard Feynman
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:

Damn,you can't buy a 1600 based header for that. Shocked
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Hello-

Thanks,

Paul

This seems like a highly speculative type of question. so my advice is to take all the answers you get to it with a grain of salt because there are so many variables to any engine build. If anyone ever decides to start dyno-testing 36hp motors, one of the first things I would like to see is the difference between a factory style 36hp muffler, with the crossover pipes inside the can, and the typical aftermarket muffler with the #2 and #4 ports that dump straight into the can. Next would be the factory muffler compared to a typical header.

hotVW's and Trends used to do these sort of back-to-back-to-back tests with 1600cc engines all of the time... back when a guy had a daily driver and wanted more oomph for little cash <some things never change>.

Going from memory, the results usually showed an engine with stock carb, stock heads, stock exhaust versus some type of small diameter extractor and free flowing muffler, would pick up very little, bottom end torque from better scavenging you get from the collector working in conjunction with equal length pipes.

I always have to remind myself, and it bares mentioning here, an engine is nothing but an air pump, a bigger, more efficient outlet doesn't buy you anything without a bigger inlet... The puny carb on either stock 1600 or 36hp is the limiting item. When they added dual kadrons, a 009 distributor, and that same extractor, look out! They realized on the order of a 25% power increase for not much money! <I'm going from memory>. It stands to reason that adding a dual carb, dual port intake tract, would most definately benefit from and extractor.

Ronnie <Splitpile> has been doing some dyno testing at my buddy Geoff Hart's shop in Lake Havasu, look around for some header results from Ronnie.
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Hello-

Thanks,

Paul

I'll let you know in a couple days. I'm finaly caught up and am taking my 36 hp over to Geoff Harts to dyno again. We lost power with the first A1 but Tiger made some changes in the step tubing length, collector size and the pipe diameter into and out of the muffler which we feel should really help.

We made 53 hp before, we'll see what it'll do now

Last edited by splitpile on Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Simon wrote:
Snort wrote:
gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Hello-

Thanks,

Paul

hotVW's and Trends used to do these sort of back-to-back-to-back tests with 1600cc engines all of the time... back when a guy had a daily driver and wanted more oomph for little cash <some things never change>.

Going from memory, the results usually showed an engine with stock carb, stock heads, stock exhaust versus some type of small diameter extractor and free flowing muffler, would pick up very little, bottom end torque from better scavenging you get from the collector working in conjunction with equal length pipes.

I always have to remind myself, and it bares mentioning here, an engine is nothing but an air pump, a bigger, more efficient outlet doesn't buy you anything without a bigger inlet... The puny carb on either stock 1600 or 36hp is the limiting item. When they added dual kadrons, a 009 distributor, and that same extractor, look out! They realized on the order of a 25% power increase for not much money! <I'm going from memory>. It stands to reason that adding a dual carb, dual port intake tract, would most definately benefit from and extractor.

Ronnie <Splitpile> has been doing some dyno testing at my buddy Geoff Hart's shop in Lake Havasu, look around for some header results from Ronnie.

Geoff Hart did the header test that was written up in VW Trends, you can still find the article on line.

I've been trying to get one of the 36 hp headers but haven't got a reply from slowanold on getting one.

I've also talked to Rick and Kevin at CB to see if they can modify one of their 1 3/8 merged headers to fit a 36 hp.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: