Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

procrastination can be a boot in the behind.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: procrastination can be a boot in the behind. Reply with quote

My van has an ugly front end- some dings and dents, some cracking paint- so we keep it covered up with a bra till money is saved for a proper paint job. well, a few months ago, I took the bra off to wash and wax the van. uhoh. big pieces of paint were coming off, and leaving bare patches of metal. since it is dry as a bone here, we sanded a little now and then, and decided to primer it and paint something on it as the muse hit.

then to everyone's joy, it begin to rain. it has rained everyday for almost a week. it's a wonderful thing, and way over due.

but the bare metal on my van started rusting. so today, while it was dry, I finished the last of the sanding, taped and coverd the stuff that isn't to be painted and sprayed a coat of primer on the front.

to someone who has never spray painted a car before, this is empowering and exhilerating! I'm not afraid to spray paint anymore. of course, my fearlessness could stem from the fact that the bra will go back on until we can afford a 'real' paint job. but I just may try my hand at some roller painting, maybe even a few 'tasteful' designs on the front.

it's fun, and not as scary as I thought.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

debbie- sorry to tell you but primer will not prevent moisture from getting through to the metal again...especially if it's trapped by the bra. Some automotive supply shops can sell you a rattle can of exact match that you can apply-they mix the paint and you apply. Go to it while you are pumped!

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely right what pioneer1 said. So many people think that putting primer on their car will protect until they are ready to paint. Time goes by, and they finally spend time and money to paint the car. A couple weeks, maybe a few months and suddenly theres rust bubbling up under their nice new paint.

Primer is ONLY a surface prep so the base coat will adhere better. It is not moisture proof.

If it has rained or been moist you must re-sand down to bare metal, re-prime, and then paint. Even if you only use a rattle can from Home Depot (ask the paint person for an enamel paint for metal) that is better than nothing. You can always scuff sand and re-spray with a color match paint later.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, ok, thank you guys for the advice. I do have some rustoleum protective enamel in a color close to the color of the van that I bought at the same time as the rustoleum primer. I'll sand the primer tomorrow and spray the enamel on.

there are so many cars painted primer grey around here, I thought it was a long term fix.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, you can't just sand the primer a tad and then paint it. The primer has absorbed moisture and brought it down in contact with the metal. You must sand it off and reapply primer, then paint the primer. Sounds like you plan to just sand the primer, so wanted you not to waste the effort and time to paint over contaminated primer that you lightly sanded.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to neutralize the rust too.

For the moment, coat with wash thinner.

That will last a few days.

Pick a nice dry day and remove the primer (mechanically or chemically.)

Then sand the rust best you can.

Then use Metal Prep.

I would then lay down some tough sealing primer for the nose job.

Cure and paint as the instructions state using the reducer for your conditions.

FYI: There a a body and paint work forum on TheSamba that will best guide you.

Remember, if it was that easy, everybody would be doing it and it would be cheap too.....

GOOD LUCK.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the order of things. Took bra off and saw badly chipping, cracking paint. Over next few weeks sanded off loose and cracking paint and sanded to feather edges of good paint. No bra on. We begin to get a bit of rain and I started to see a little rust on the surface of the bare metal. Yesterday it was dry. I sanded all the rust off and sprayed rustoleum primer. It didn't rain while I was spraying the primer. Then I sanded the primer lightly and sprayed on the rustoleum enamel. It didn't rain on primer or paint. This is a short term solution to prevent the clean bare metal from getting rusty. It wont win any prizes and is just until we can afford a real paint job. My van has no rust, average daily humidity where we live is around 5% unless its monsoon season. We are taking the van where it will probably be rainy, so wanted it protected. The pain & body fourm is very helpful, mostly to make me realize we need to save up the $$ to get it painted. I just didn't realize how much fun it is to spray paint a car and it looks better than I thought it would! Thanks very much for the help and advice, and I'm open to more, but wanted to splain what Id done so far.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray, brush is my approach, these are vans. They scream to be painted
I have acquired lots of differnt colors, as long as the paint prep is decent, put on what ever you want..

Buses are supposed to look cool and be individual, some claim individuality in spending individally large amounts of dollars, just so they can look like all the other guy's

Others choose not to..

I think my bus will end up a pleasant plaid, as i work on different things I do the rust around the area I am working on..nake a point to always use another color..

Plus you can't beat those paint fumes.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, debbie, so it was YOU who kickstarted the monsoon early. Thanks!! We had a nice rain yesterday!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had a gully washer on the 4th, nice, huh. looks like more rain today!!
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, clouds are already stacking up over the Jemez, just like yesterday. It's still cool and humid from the rain, too, very nice. Long live the monsoon!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie been thinking about your primer problems and had to delve deep into my mind for some marine knowledge. Using an expoxy primer while expensive will seal and set up for paint. Preparation is the important step tho and that means all that has gone before must be gone. Otherwise you have to add the first step of sealing the metal, then prime, then paint. I think epoxy primer, one step is what you need to consider. Just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daizee. I may have a problem in time, due to my little fixit job, but I posted after I'd primed & painted. Just a temp. fix for a rainy season. Soon, I hope to have the $$ to have it painted by someone who knows what they are doing. Thanks tho!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to make sure you got the message that you are in fact NOT preventing any rust with what you've done. If you aren't going to have the $$$ for a professional job any time soon, you really should sand it all off and get a sealer on, forget what it will look like BUT you can get epoxy paint and if the prep has been done properly, it will stick for a very long time and won't present any problems to professional painters.

It's rusting already, you may not see it but it's happening with just a paint primer and paint. Just saying. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: