Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window channel and glass
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeridmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Window channel and glass Reply with quote

I installed a new window regulator in my 68 bus. The track that attaches to the window regulator has a little rubber gasket that goes inside. The window then slides into the rubber gasket which is attached to the metal track. What are you all using to secure the window to the rubber and then the rubber to the metal track. I have done it once and the window has now slipped out of the rubber. I put liquid JB weld compound on the window and on the rubber. I also put it on the outside of the rubber attached to the metal track. The window slipped out of place.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Window channel and glass Reply with quote

jeridmark wrote:
What are you all using to secure the window to the rubber and then the rubber to the metal track.

Nothing, it should stay in there with friction, I'm guessing yours not a real chore to push on there?, it should require a rubber hammer and swearing.
If I was challenged by shitty aftermarket parts my first choice to make it stay would be good old contact cement (not the water based stuff), or try pinching the channel shut a bit more before inserting the glass.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Window channel and glass Reply with quote

The stock window channel is made of a very springy steel and grips the rubber & window tightly, with no goop needed. Aftermarket channels range from poor to totally useless in that regard. Original stock rubbers were even shaped to fit the
channel and formed with ridge lines in them to assist in window-gripping, not like aftermarket rubbers which are basically just
strips of smooth inner-tube rubber. Original channels tend to get rusted out which weakens them. Perhaps there are still a few original channels left in the junkyards to be had.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Window channel and glass Reply with quote

the old time glass shop that did my VENT windows put some SAE30 on the rubber. Just wiped it with it. That causes the rubber to swell. You could try that too but it has to be reasonably tight to begin.
jeridmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Window channel and glass Reply with quote

Thank you all very much.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: