Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New GPS tracker via Kickstarter?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: New GPS tracker via Kickstarter? Reply with quote

This looks like just what a lot of us have been looking for but I'll let you read the pitch for yourself.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: New GPS tracker via Kickstarter? Reply with quote

I'd like to clip one of those on my wife Laughing

Craig
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: New GPS tracker via Kickstarter? Reply with quote

If they can indeed bring this in at $4 a month then it will be a very competitive product.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: New GPS tracker via Kickstarter? Reply with quote

Cool. I hope they pull it off. (I'll never give money to kickstarter again after being burned.)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: New GPS tracker via Kickstarter? Reply with quote

Yeah, remember you aren't actually buying something through kickstarter. I have seen several items get fully funded over the amount they wanted and the product never came to fruition but the money disappeared.

The item looks promising but since it tethers to a phone to track it does the phone need cell service?
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: New GPS tracker via Kickstarter? Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Yeah, remember you aren't actually buying something through kickstarter. I have seen several items get fully funded over the amount they wanted and the product never came to fruition but the money disappeared.

The item looks promising but since it tethers to a phone to track it does the phone need cell service?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1851162219/ma...faq_210135

Quote:
Do I need a "SIM card" or a "data plan" to use Magpie?
No and No!
Magpie has a built-in IoT SIM card so you don't have to worry about phone plans or contracts etc. We handle all that for you.

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: New GPS tracker via Kickstarter? Reply with quote

Sorry, i was asking if the PHONE needed cell service. I was riding all over northern california both central and north coast and was out of cell range often enough when checked it to pose the question.
Does the unit require cellphone coverage for that matter?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: New GPS tracker via Kickstarter? Reply with quote

In my experience and from reading up on the device, since it uses a sim card that requires 2G or 3G it will need cell coverage to send the location. If it is out of cell coverage then no location can be sent, but as soon as it is in coverage then a location would be sent.

Your cell phone would need a cell signal in order to get the tracking info from the tracker service (although it may be able to do it via wifi?).

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tgraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: New GPS tracker via Kickstarter? Reply with quote

On the surface it looks very similar to this product:

http://pinggps.com

Or are there features that I'm missing?
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: New GPS tracker via Kickstarter? Reply with quote

This kickstarter looks too good to be true. $5 for the device plus a month of service. Plus the $10,000 backing goal seems like too little for what they should be asking for. I will wait til it gets into actually production and consumer testing before wasting $ and time on it.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: New GPS tracker via Kickstarter? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
In my experience and from reading up on the device, since it uses a sim card that requires 2G or 3G it will need cell coverage to send the location. If it is out of cell coverage then no location can be sent, but as soon as it is in coverage then a location would be sent.

Your cell phone would need a cell signal in order to get the tracking info from the tracker service (although it may be able to do it via wifi?).

Makes sense.
Thx
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New GPS tracker via Kickstarter? Reply with quote

tgraham wrote:
On the surface it looks very similar to this product:

http://pinggps.com

That looks like the same idea - and only $3 per month (after purchase & activation).

It is sold out for now + I did not see what their expected delivery date is.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New GPS tracker via Kickstarter? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Cool. I hope they pull it off. (I'll never give money to kickstarter again after being burned.)

That's a bummer dobryan. In defense of Kickstarter, I got my 14 new episodes of MST3K plus a bunch of swag, as advertised.
Even owning an established business, it is hard to get new products to market. I think kickstarter is a cool idea and I'd throw money at vanagon specific projects. Not for so much money I'd miss it though (likely not a Syncro tranny for example).
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New GPS tracker via Kickstarter? Reply with quote

interesting... the cell signal required still is a no go for me... I prefer the straight satellite tracker.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New GPS tracker via Kickstarter? Reply with quote

It does seem that many of the PNW thefts (van stolen while parked at home or on errands, used as a cargo van by thieves, abandoned nearby shortly thereafter) could be resolved using one of these.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: