Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having mouseproofed my vanagon almost 5 years ago, I think the best advice is to defer the legends until later and for now study the photos of physically plugging holes with "metal screen" and "pot scrubbies".

1) & 2) below, are wide open on every vanagon, they are the basis for the urban legend. Once mice learn those paths, new campground mice can smell those who have gone that way before - thus locate the holes quickly.

At minimum, do 1&2 then you can pursue animal legendry in your leisure. If you do a good job plugging the holes you will get good results with your other methods too (except trapping which will be less fruitful).

1) screen the fresh air vent behind the radiator grille.
2) plug passenger and driver side battery box vents with stainless steel scrubbies.

3) check the large rubber seal at the engine ECU wiring loom and if seal is gone, repair it with silicone. And a large grommet for the headlights too.
4) I guess on some vans you need to look for rust holes too. A nightime helper inside with a bright light inside then crawl around outside looking for light.

My other vehicles have doors and windows, but mice don't come in. With kids, my other cars have a far, far more crumbs under the seats. Mice don't "jump in" the doors, thats just an assumption that spreads due to the defeatist chatter that muddies every vanagon mouse-problem thread. The desire to post home remedies is a deafening roar, especially in the Vanagon crowd. The poor vanagon owner will also need a remedy for his bleeding eyes.

I suppose mice would jump in if doors were left open for days, or years, or a blanket is hanging out, but your first line of defense is common sense: Plug the holes that every vanagon has (and other cars don't have).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:27 pm; edited 10 times in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never underestimate the level and degree of sophistication in your local rodent pack. I'm quite sure the mices in my hood are all busy sipping schnapps and drafting the great American novel...clever little bastards

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In NY, mice will chew your wiring harness, string it between two points like a zip line, and use it to enter your vehicle as you get in to commute.

If you put peppermint in to repel them, you will get green mice.

Mice can and will chew through gaskets, wood, plastic to get a good place to whole up for winter. Its in the DNA.

Clean up food, plug holes, set traps if your car is in storage.

My EV sat in the driveway for one week, and one winter mice chewed my underhood soundproofing to nest in the engine compartment.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those who post photos and keep on TOPIC of locating and plugging the holes!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:53 am; edited 7 times in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is true that this topic is titled plugging holes...... A multi prong approach is absolutely needed when dealing with mice.

However, once sealed Most of us feel that you cannot simply stop and rest.

Windows are left down, doors are left open, grommets through the body dislodge without our knowledge, rust progresses heinously creating yet new holes!
Items are brought into the Van from outside or from the garage that may very well have a hitch hiker in them.

We need traps, we need deterrents, we need to take additional measures to deal with these unintentional entrances.

Mouse proofing is all of this, just not one prong of plugging holes.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat true, since a vanagon, in its proper setting, will sit for hours at a campsite with doors open. But plugging the holes makes a vanagon about as mouseproof as other cars, and members who have other cars are aware of how nice it is to have mice way way down on list of worries.

One thing about mice is that when there exists s mouse highway, all the other mice can smell it and follow thise who passed before. Plugging the holes solves about 90% of the problem. Most of the replies address only 10% of the problem due to the urban legend that a vanagon cant be mouseproofed. Asserting this legend is a disservice to the vanagon. This is NOT an unsolvable problem.

Mice are furtive. They choose pathways that are hidden and offer protection. I do NOT believe they jump in doors and windows. Certainly it has hapoened but choosing your actions based on banzai mice, is a waste of time, they just dont behave like that. If they get in your door is because you left a blanket hanging out or offered some other kind of mouse ladder.

New legend: Mouse Rapunzel. Laughing

However in my experience the mice came in at night, a couple hours later after the people stop moving.

Dave I thank you for posting pics, very helpful. I know how much time it takes to make an informative post and there are members who will be ever thankful.

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...... In the spirit of Identifying possible entry points, let's start at the front of the Van.

Here is the front door foot step area. There is a plastic pad that snaps into these holes..... No pad?
Highway to the interior is open!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My PO abandoned the "factory" drivers side antenna and installed an after market one on the Passenger side...... Look how nicely the wire seals to the body!
Mouse highway With a built in ladder to enter above the Glove box!

This is behind the LF headlamp but above and behind the fuse panel. All wires feeding the Fuse panel or leaving the fuse panel area enter and exit here.
Examine for loose or rotted grommets.........

Here is the interior side of the same wires above the fuse panel....

The "Factory" drivers antenna, abandoned by my PO but flopping around in the dash....... Easy entry for a rodent!

The interior view of the Antenna hole.....

Also Check ......
Front Heater Hose Grommets,
heater control valve wire.
Front door jamb wire boot
Rear heater hose grommets,
Rear heater fan wire entry grommet
EFI Computer wire Grommet
AC hose entry from engine area to cargo area,
AC wire Entry grommets
Rubber plugs in front of rear wheels into body (by lower suspension arm mount)
Missing seat belt bolts
Rust holes
PO made holes for all sorts of modifications, auxillary battery wiring, etc.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These two pieces of tape are covering holes that normally have rubber plugs in them, they enter into the body behind the sliding door. Both sides have these but obviously only one side has a door.....

Rear Heater Hoses..... I've removed my rear heater and used rubber freeze plugs to seal the holes. If your hoses are gone or the grommets around the hoses are decayed, another entry point.....

If you have Air Conditioning. The hoses and wires enter the body in front of the LR tail light. Concern yourself with the rubber grommets, or if your AC has been removed, make sure the holes are plugged......

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderator Edit:

Moved this prevention tip to the prevention thread......
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7626414#7626414

This thread is focusing on preventing entry into the vehicle ....... not repelling or capturing them.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
addiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

I scanned this thread and followed all the advice, but was still getting a mouse in the van almost every night. So I set up some trail cameras and when hunting, I found two new places that folks had not listed, see the video to see where they are

enjoy

https://youtu.be/bdgTZKyqMkI

Moderator edit: A screenshot of the above video showing the mouse squeezing through the automatic transmission shift linkage

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Nice use of technology to (hopefully) defeat the 'meeces'.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Half way through that video that mouse makes a two foot leap in mid stride. Anyone still think they can't jump in a door?

Keep your crashbar clean too, mouse love a good merlot
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

pics of how you sealed off the A/T shifter??
addiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

ah that is the challenge, I have not done it yet, I am going to stuff some SS scrunchies in it tonight and see if I can keep them out, and confirm that is the only entrance left.....either way I am thinking o f adding a rubber shifter boot on it and see who that works.

a little worried they will chew through it, if they do, I will fab up a small box to go around it....

when I get it solved I will post a picture
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

I didn't know about this entry point and really appreciate you pointing it out to us.
A year ago I pulled my front carpet and insulated the entire area to ward off the hellish heat from the air passing through the radiator.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=660

One area that let in a LOT of heat was that darn shifter area. I insulated it to stop the air flow but I doubt it would deter any mice! If I recall properly I used foam rubber stuffed down in there.

This will require a bit of examination and head scratching........

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

addiction wrote:
Merian wrote:

ah that is the challenge, I have not done it yet, I am going to stuff some SS scrunchies in it tonight and see if I can keep them out, and confirm that is the only entrance left.....either way I am thinking o f adding a rubber shifter boot on it and see who that works.

a little worried they will chew through it, if they do, I will fab up a small box to go around it....

when I get it solved I will post a picture

I saw this thread pop up and was just about to post about this same spot. We had at least 6 mice get in through there this past year before plugging it up. Nearly lost my mind! I just stuffed enough steel wool up there to plug it without obstructing the linkage. I keep meaning to go back to it with a more elegant solution, but out of sight out of mind.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

mice will chew thru rubber, tape, etc. SS scrub pads will work much better

And to address a comment further back, of course mice will jump in the open door -- even "regular" mice can jump several body lengths, and this is no big deal because the forces of gravity are quantitatively different on animals with small body sizes (consider animals that land on the ceiling as a further example)
addiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:
I saw this thread pop up and was just about to post about this same spot. We had at least 6 mice get in through there this past year before plugging it up. Nearly lost my mind! I just stuffed enough steel wool up there to plug it without obstructing the linkage. I keep meaning to go back to it with a more elegant solution, but out of sight out of mind.

Stainless Steel wool is my current fix as well, I am very happy to hear that it seems to have been a long term fix for you.

I also wanted to make sure everyone saw the second place where I found a yet to be documented opening.

to the left and right of where the rear seat would go, there is a opening where I put expanding foam. I opens right up to the rocker panel and is an easy highway for a mouse to get it. I have an arrow pointing to it at the 10s mark of the video
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

to clarify - is that on a non-Westy? or would a Westy with the rear seat (Z-bed) have those holes also?

and... foam will help but mice can still dig thru it - or into it for nest material
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

That area you sealed with the expanding foam is behind the sliding door. There is no entrance there from the exterior unless the plastic plugs that plug holes to the rear wheel well have been removed or you have rust through in that area.

The expanding foam is actually known to sometimes enhance rust for it can hold moisture against the metal.

Expanding foam can be a heinious addition to a metal auto body. VW discovered this on VW beetles produced through the 1970's when they used it to seal the rear body pillar from the engine compartment.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: