Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

I did the exact same thing!!

edgood1 wrote:
I assembled the bumpers this morning. The came out beautiful and were going together beautifully.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

until...

the god damned bolts that come with the wolfsburg west front bumper hardware kit are too long and mangled one of the overriders.

The curses that came out of my mouth..... words can't express my fury. The really shitty thing is that I thought they looked too long when I was loosely assembling things together, looked for something smaller but didn't haven't anything. I figured they'd be fine and I guess I didn't notice them bottoming out. grrrrrrr......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Awesome job. Looking sweet. Mine has been on the road since May and next weekend will be her first OCTO! Keep up the great work
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Nice recovery. It’s looking sweet!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

back on track

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
What a drag. Do you have the sleeve spacers?

Here is VW vs WW.

I used the sleeve spacers they provided. They provided 80mm M8 bolts for the bottom and 65mm M8 bolts for the towel bar with the kit, the parts manual calls for a 70mm bolt on the bottom and a 60mm on the top. I went to the hardware store and got the correct shorter bolts and they work without any risk of damage.

Leica356 wrote:
After searching for ever I bought a set of WW bumpers thinking it would be easier and cheaper than shipping OG ones that would need work. The amount of work to get them straight was a little shocking. Had to skim and block them several times! While it was cheaper it wasn't easier.

I have a WW rear bumper here and I chose not to use it for this one because the original overriders didn't line up with the contour of the bumper perfectly. I probably could have made them fit but I didn't. I assume/hope that all the WW parts fit together perfectly. Their front overriders probably work fine with 80mm bolts Evil or Very Mad

Using the new WW bumpers would have been a LOT easier than restoring these original ones. It took me many hours to grind off the layers of paint, then reshape them, fix all the dents (and there were some massive ones in the front bumper), spray epoxy, do filler work, another coat of epoxy, more filler work, 2k primer, sand, seal with reduced epoxy, paint 3 coats of single stage. (Can you see why I was so upset by that dent? Very Happy ) I must have spent 10 hours just getting it all to fit together properly before doing any of the bodywork.

I hammered out the dents I made in the overrider and redid all the body work on them. I hope to repaint them today.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Leica356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

After searching for ever I bought a set of WW bumpers thinking it would be easier and cheaper than shipping OG ones that would need work. The amount of work to get them straight was a little shocking. Had to skim and block them several times! While it was cheaper it wasn't easier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

What a drag. Do you have the sleeve spacers?

Here is VW vs WW.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
^^^ I have done the same thing albeit by reusing HW from my "spares" pile. Sad My bumpers were nowhere near as nice as your though. I can imagine the profanity stream when you discovered that. Wonder why it only affected one overrider though or did you discover that after tightening only one?

Yeah, I still had the other one loose enough that it didn't damage anything. I was doing final tightening and trying to eliminate the gap between the overrider and bumper when this happened. The top bolt on the same overrider also inflicted some damage but not as much.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

^^^ I have done the same thing albeit by reusing HW from my "spares" pile. Sad My bumpers were nowhere near as nice as your though. I can imagine the profanity stream when you discovered that. Wonder why it only affected one overrider though or did you discover that after tightening only one?
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

I assembled the bumpers this morning. The came out beautiful and were going together beautifully.

until...

the god damned bolts that come with the wolfsburg west front bumper hardware kit are too long and mangled one of the overriders.

The curses that came out of my mouth..... words can't express my fury. The really shitty thing is that I thought they looked too long when I was loosely assembling things together, looked for something smaller but didn't haven't anything. I figured they'd be fine and I guess I didn't notice them bottoming out. grrrrrrr......
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

I ended up partially assembling them loose and painting them. I didn't like how they hung when fully assembled , no easy place to mount them and the weight made them want to hang upside down.

They came out really good, the pictures don't do them justice. I might be able to get away without wet sanding them.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
Thanks for that feedback... you guys just gave me the idea of assembling them "loose", keeping small gaps where the parts meet and then tighten it all up when it's cured

that is what i would do, i think.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Thanks for that feedback... you guys just gave me the idea of assembling them "loose", keeping small gaps where the parts meet and then tighten it all up when it's cured
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Mine were assembled and then painted. Eventually the paint cracks near the base of the towel bar when It’s done that way. Someone steps on the bar or bumps it with their car.

Maybe if you paint first and then assemble you have a chance of a cleaner finish.
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

I had the same issue. I painted mine unassembled. Tried as best I could to not scratch them while assembling, though I still did. I then wet sanded the scratches and feather it all in and shot another coat with them assembled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

I took a break from the headliner to restore the bumpers while it's still warm enough to paint. This was a ton of work. It would have been so much easier to just buy new ones.

I hope to get shoot the color soon. I need to decide if I want to assemble them before painting. Everything needed a ton to tweaking to fit together.... the front overrider bar needed some major "adjustments". These bumpers have bumped and bumped well. I'm worried that if I paint them unassembled I'll ding the paint when I put them together... what to do?
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Very nice 😎😎
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

I've been working on the headliner around the windows. I did the driver side all in one piece.

The corner window section is tricky.

Details:

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

A little headliner progress on the cargo doors:

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Applause Applause
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 34

Jump to: