Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Call for Webasto BBW 46 info and experiences
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Call for Webasto BBW 46 info and experiences Reply with quote

Hi,

Starting to attempt to get my Webasto BBW 46 coolant heater up and running. Yeah, I know, it may well be a dead horse Smile

Anyway, I've started to post info on my blog (http://shufti.wordpress.com/). So far I have linked to Gary Lee's pics and install manual, a parts manual, and an excerpt from the German VW repair manual that actually has the scoop on the Vanagon install.
There were some posts on the UK Brickyard site, I'll link to them too.

If anyone out there has any more info please post.
thanks

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bentley has a long writeup on the BBW46, check it out.

Also,
http://www.techwebasto.com/heater_archive.htm

Just a regular guy
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Call for Webasto BBW 46 info and experiences Reply with quote

I have just bought a NOS Webasto BBW 46 here in Norway... santa came early this year Very Happy

I have a 2.2L WBX and I am contemplating installing the heater inline with the heater circuit as opposed to the thermostat controlled install on the factory equipped vans. The reason being that the monovalve seems NLA... and Webasto allows for the option of either thermostat (monovalve) controlled or in series with the heater circuit.

Am I missing something here? It seems like the series install is much simpler with fewer connections. As long as my heater valves are open while the motor warmer is in operation it should circulate warmed coolant to the engine block. I could even close the front heater valve to reduce the amount of coolant in circulation by the Webasto during initial warm-up.

Props to Telus for finding the troubleshooting manual,

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/bbw46/BBW46.htm

here is the Bently install (monovalve controlled)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Call for Webasto BBW 46 info and experiences Reply with quote

The setup with the thermostat monovalve first warms the engine a little (55 C) and then delivers warm water to the heater.

Of course it is possible and more simple to install it witout the monovalve.
If the blower fan is not blowing cold air through the heater core there is enough heat to warm the engine to 87 C in half an hour.
Gordo_89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Call for Webasto BBW 46 info and experiences Reply with quote

I bench tested mine and it heated the water up in a large gorilla tub in no time.

I thought the mono valve worked by heating the cooling system first then the engine?

I have found about 3 webasto manuals in total

Bentley version
Webasto installation manual
Fault finding manual

The inline and thermostat controlled are both detailed in the webasto manual. If that's any help?
Deadchemist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Call for Webasto BBW 46 info and experiences Reply with quote

I'm also in abit of a fix regarding my webasto BBW46. I've so far been linked to the repair manual and a wiring loom. The display unit is working but if im honest i really dont understand how to get it going.
Can someone please explain it to me? When I press the clock and enter the time the yellow light comes on but no accompanying sound.
Gordo_89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Call for Webasto BBW 46 info and experiences Reply with quote

I use the flame symbol on the right hand side this should light up green when activated and stay illuminated while it runs

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a switch built into the heater control leaver (hot and cold leaver) that needs to be on (hot position) for the time relay to be activated and power to be delivered to the heater unit
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Call for Webasto BBW 46 info and experiences Reply with quote

I saw a Canadian Syncro16 a month ago that used this system to heat the floor of the van, the living space. It was a 16, Westified. The guy bought it in Abbotsford BC, was passing thru WA.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
rprsamba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Call for Webasto BBW 46 info and experiences Reply with quote

. I have a 89 Doka with a Webasto control panel. I’m not sure I’ve got the heater element and I’m looking for it. Does anybody know the location of the actual heater in doka? Also, it appears that some of the links are old and not working. Please post links for the Webasto manuals you found? I can’t seem to find them

Thank you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: