Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is your cold start oil pressure?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanWagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: What is your cold start oil pressure? Reply with quote

Quick poll of the audience. I recently rebuilt a 2.1L WBX and added a Mansi oil pump. I used 20w50 during the break in period, but with winter coming decided to lower viscosity to 15w40. Warm pressures are where I like them, but I am curious how high of an oil pressure to tolerate on cold startups before worrying about leaks, too thick to lubricate properly, etc. Without too many tangents can you post your idling waterboxer oil pressure during a cold start:

oil / oil pressure / ambient temp

For example, mine is:
15w40 / 75psi / 40F

Thanks in advance.
NorCalbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your cold start oil pressure? Reply with quote

I've got about 70 psi at 55 deg. using 10w-60 synthetic.

1987 Westfalia Vanagon - "Clifford"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your cold start oil pressure? Reply with quote

HOT oil pressure is what you should be concerned about. Cold oil pressure isn't really relevant/useful provided it is above zero. I've seen both healthy and unhealthy engines have cold oil pressure in the 70-100+psi range.
VanWagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your cold start oil pressure? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
HOT oil pressure is what you should be concerned about. Cold oil pressure isn't really relevant/useful provided it is above zero. I've seen both healthy and unhealthy engines have cold oil pressure in the 70-100+psi range.

Yup. Hot matters, but that's not what I'm asking about so...
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your cold start oil pressure? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
I've seen both healthy and unhealthy engines have cold oil pressure in the 70-100+psi range.

Great info, Thanks for this!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanWagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your cold start oil pressure? Reply with quote

NorCalbuggy wrote:
I've got about 70 psi at 55 deg. using 10w-60 synthetic.

Thanks!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your cold start oil pressure? Reply with quote

Same..... 1990 2.1 up in the 70's

It settles into the upper 20's ..... 30 ish once warmed up at speed.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your cold start oil pressure? Reply with quote

I get about 60 or 70 psi at idle when cold, 20w 50 oil, Brad Penn.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your cold start oil pressure? Reply with quote

My AHU TDI conversion on cold days can get above 90psi for brief moments (its a diesel thing I think) but on normal days it is about 65 and settles when hot to just below the 30 psi mark.
2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI
Way too many previously owned to list!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your cold start oil pressure? Reply with quote

A decently tight engine can run year around with a 0w40 or 5w40 synthetic oil, less chance of blowing a filter or causing an oil pressure switch to leak. Prior to going to synthetic, I used to run 10w30 in the winter and straight 30wt in the summer and have never experienced undue engine wear. There is a reason oils like 20w50 have close to disappeared from the shelves.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: What is your cold start oil pressure? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
A decently tight engine can run year around with a 0w40 or 5w40 synthetic oil, less chance of blowing a filter or causing an oil pressure switch to leak. Prior to going to synthetic, I used to run 10w30 in the winter and straight 30wt in the summer and have never experienced undue engine wear. There is a reason oils like 20w50 have close to disappeared from the shelves.

I've not noticed a lack of 20W50 ..... single weights on the other hand? Basically gone.

Using zero based multi-weights or 5W still gives me pause...... I just can't embrace it..... but give it time...... I'll eventually come around.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: What is your cold start oil pressure? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

I've not noticed a lack of 20W50 ..... single weights on the other hand? Basically gone.

Using zero based multi-weights or 5W still gives me pause...... I just can't embrace it..... but give it time...... I'll eventually come around.
On the WBX, I don't think I could either. Laughing Laughing
But, on other engines, I've run 0w-30 or other as a Winter Weight oil here in Chicago due to cold Winter temps.
0W-20 is now increasing a common standard spec oil for several Car Makers.
I'm amazed it, and the engines, hold up at Hot weather driving, but they do just fine.... Smile Smile Smile
Meanwhile GoWesty uses 10w-60. I haven't heard of anyone blowing a seal like an Oil Cooler seal just from running their spec'd oil for their version of the Water Boxer, but it just 'seems' like a thing I'd be nervous about in Cold Climate usage. Pray
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: What is your cold start oil pressure? Reply with quote

10W-60 should be 'thinner' at cold temps than 20W-50.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: What is your cold start oil pressure? Reply with quote

No oil pressure gauge on this van yet, but had one on our first van and would get 65 lbs. at startup, and 30-40 driving, sometimes high 20s when really hot but that was rare and the engine was pretty worn and having leakdown the entire 57,000 miles we drove it.

Mobil 1 15/50 synthetic, but rarely driven much below 40F.

JLFR’s comment about 10/60 is interesting, and makes sense to me for both temperature needs of the spectrum, as does the use of 0W in the dead of a cold winter.

I’ve long been fascinated by Wildthings preference of low-weight oil in summer, partly as his overall knowledge far exceeds mine. I’ve long been a user of heavy oils and all our cars have been run pretty hard, often for twenty or thirty hours straight, and always without excessive engine wear or issues.

So while I’ve no doubt of the benefits of heavy oil under stress, I do wonder if there’s any correlation of heavier oils being a factor in leaks, especially when cold.

— Colin Chapman
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: What is your cold start oil pressure? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:

Using zero based multi-weights or 5W still gives me pause......

A 0W40 oil is thicker at 32°F than a 10w60 is at 212°F, so I see no reason to worry.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: