Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear slider windows (home made?)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: rear slider windows (home made?) Reply with quote

I've been looking around for one last sliding window the the rearmost windows in my bus.

I managed to find and get one for the drivers side,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But one for the right hand passenger side isn't so easy to get, at least in this continent.... has anyone seen a source for these? or any idea which countries had this option?

so far i tried south africa but either they didnt understand or i didnt give enough detail.....

would the UK have these?

One of the guys in the vanagon fourm made himself one, but, bending up a straight slider frame is probably tougher than it looks, and the bays rear window has a bit of curve....

Last edited by rustbus on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
waltervee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this one?
[/url]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=959396[url]
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Australia? I think a lot of our campers used them. Mine does.

78Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt even know they made those. I want them too!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
topaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustbus do you have a part number for the window?

I have seen rear sliding windows however might not be original like the one you got.
The ones that I have seen got the latch on the side not at the bottom like yours do.
Also there is no vw sign printed.
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatCamper wrote:
Have you tried Australia? I think a lot of our campers used them. Mine does.

your signature says it all ;" converted panelvan".

original factory window sliders are somewhat rarer than hack job conversions. Idea
VWDruid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...highlight=

Antonio Trejo wrote:
The new and genuine VW Type 2 rear sliding windows are available in my shop, complete: frame and glass. Take a look on the diagram. Rubber seal sold separately.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=14183
70 Westy, 2027cc "dual DRLA 40 m140 i55 wjdoc a165 p33 v30 "w100 straight cut 040 polished heads 1.25 rockers 1.5 A1sidewinder supertrapp muffler trans 091 coil SUM-850500 CDI universal svda Pertronix
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
It's not the straight cut gears It's the T.A.R.D.I.S. engine.
wanted Chameleon Circuit
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot get to that page...
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links and stuff, and like most of you guys, I can only find the drivers side in original VW parts.

I would like to try australia, but i imagine shipping would wipe the floor with me.... ratcamper, any links to part houses down there?...

The one Ihave for the drivers (left hand) side was purchased from Antonio from MExico - he's told me he doesnt have a line on the passenger side...seems they were just not offered on the same side as the sliding door, so that why i figure i have to search the RHD drive countries...

I'm not totally against non-VW parts, so long as they look similar i guess...

In the meantime, I am, and I didnt want to say anything till i was sucessful, going to try and modify a side slider for the rear....i've started, but i aint posting nothin unless it works out! its tough bending already bent aluminum extruded frames!

topaz. wrote:
Rustbus do you have a part number for the window?

I have seen rear sliding windows however might not be original like the one you got.
The ones that I have seen got the latch on the side not at the bottom like yours do.
Also there is no vw sign printed.

Topaz, I dont have a part number for the right hand side....what sort of stuff you have there in greece!? I was just in greece a year or two ago, visiting family...saw some buses, nothing with that slider though. Laughing ..can you source anything?

thanks guys!
topaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey rustbus.

I can find only the left one and its not the same it looks like this:

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/type_2_bay/type-2-...45353.html

I really dont know why there is only a left side window.
Any chance might not be for airflow issues?
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Topaz. for looking into it

yeah, i just assumed it was since there were (are there?) more LHD vehicles, they never made a lot of RHS sliders,

I also thought that it was more for "don't chop off the passengers right arm when shlieben dur open" than airflow issues - but who knows!?
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the rear sliders are rare. I saw this on page 9 of rarest of the rare thread

The right side slider would only have been offered in RHD countries and as the middle sliders were only a 2 year deal, I would imagine that there are not many out there. The Mexican or Brazilian sliders that Just Kampers sells seems to be the way to go. I have vent windows on both sides in the rear. Great airflow while driving. The sliding door will bang the glass frame on the vent window if it is open, but it hits that before it bangs any little hands. Crying or Very sad

Just a regular guy
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
Yeah, the rear sliders are rare. I saw this on page 9 of rarest of the rare thread

The right side slider would only have been offered in RHD countries and as the middle sliders were only a 2 year deal, I would imagine that there are not many out there. The Mexican or Brazilian sliders that Just Kampers sells seems to be the way to go. I have vent windows on both sides in the rear. Great airflow while driving. The sliding door will bang the glass frame on the vent window if it is open, but it hits that before it bangs any little hands. Crying or Very sad

yeah, i'm not too sure which all countries are RHD, aside from a couple obvious ones. UK, Oz, ?, ?. The one you have pictured looks like exactly the same I have - little stickers and everything, from Antonio in Mex.

I've got the vent window for the rear right as a back up plan, but really, slider is stuck in my mind.... I'm combing town looking for body shops or metal shops that would take a crack at reforming my side slider frame into a rear-slider frame....need to find an oldschool metal worker....otherwise, this winter, i'm gonna jig up, get the torch out, and go for it myself. i figure with some serious effort into jigging it properly, it can be possible. but the effort that will go into the jig will be something.... stupid curvaceous buses!

I take it back, I love the curves. not stupid.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=778447

I have been looking for one of these for quite awhile. No luck so far. I will likely try the self-fabrication route at some point. I am not concerned with looks as much as functionality. I am curious to see if you can come up with a process for bending the aluminum channel. Please share your experiences with us, both successes and failures. We learn from both.
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, cdennis, its not going to be easy. this fella (Wellington) did it in the vanagon forum, using "skills" and some tig welding.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...mp;start=0

from that thread:

a shot of the cross section (note a bit of a bend I've got into it already)

My slider dissassembled

I sent wellington a PM - he said bending the channel was easy, so long as you kept the "rib" (thick spine part that the seal bites on) in a vise to keep it from distorting, then it worked fine for him. now our bay's have a more curvy shaped window, whereas it looks like the vanagon ones are pretty straight, aside from the corners, so thats a problem, as the curves are compound... both the corners on a standard slider are too tight (acute).. i'm already trying to open mine up... and it looks like on the vanagon all you need to do is tighten the angle up, not open it...

I've already started into mine, made a jig, -dont have pics of that yet- i'm finding it actually quite difficult to bend it, and my jig needs work (needs to be full size of the frame) I've read up about bending aluminum channel on the web and many suggest annealing, so my project is on hold until i can get the bus back in the shop for winter (its in my basement right now, which is ill-equipt for anything but like some small jobs and laundry) (and cat shit Rolling Eyes )

You can see that wellington tig welded, as the bottom is longer and the top shorter. he told me in retropsect, if you were to plan your cuts carefully so they were where the fixed glass is, you wouldnt really need to tig weld as the fixed glass is siliconed in anyhow. glass should be easy to re-shape, what with the glass shop 1.5 blocks from my place

the slider comes apart fairly easy, as long as you can get the slide felt seal out. mine happened to be glued in by the PO, so it was a PIA to get it out, had to trash the seal (can't find those anywhere!) have to carefully and patiently pry the siliconed parts apart, but they do come (slowly)

I'm using a spare full section of rear glass as a template, I can only assume this needs to be near perfect or i'll never get it in. perfect or smaller, but not larger.

anyhow, those are some of my current thoughts. in the event that i can't open up the existing corners without permanent damage to the channel, I put a wanted ad in the classifieds here for a broken slider, then I can use a section of that channel, perfectly straight, and bend the correct corners into it. i'm thinking that if I have the section of straight stock, like the whole top or bottom length, then perhaps if I lack the skills/tools to bend it right, I can take it to a body guy or metal shop and see if they know how to handle this metal. finding a body guy that knows metal is proving difficult (cars are plastic today, right?)

anyhow, blah blah blha, hate to bore you guys, but thats where I'm at. i'll update as I get into it some more, and either break or bend this thing.

any suggestions? any metal wizards out there? i'm damn near ready to have a section of plate steel cut out to fit the slider channel inside, shaped correctly, then some heavy duty hydraulic push power to force the shape into a jig from the insde....
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn,t it be a lot easier to just shorten the rear window and square it off.You could use the same window slider but it would just overlap more.to square off the window all u have to do is weld in the square front end from a parts bus using the opposite side and trim with some 18 guage
zaakystyles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that window type too. I had 3 on my first bus, but didn't keep them.
Though I do wish I switched the windows out. The simple window is boring and vents I don't like as much.
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I know I said i wouldn't post until i was finished but i thought I'd toss this up to see if anyone's got some experience bending this sort of thing.

here's where I'm at ( i havent been devoting a whole lotta time to this)

I'm gonna be short on the descriptions, gotta get away from this computer!

used a full size rear glass for template:

cut it out:

figured out the offset one way

figured it out another way:

hit it up with a bandsaw to keep the edge straight (jigsaw was junk)

jambs in OK, now its time to clamp it down and bend..... Pray

For the record, I started out with another idea, which kinda sucked more than this one

anyhow the best i could find on the net was this little write up:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6299&start=0

some good ideas.... I'll need to know if I can re-anodize or otherwise match the frame color before i go heating this channel up red hot.
the current plan is make a hardwood block to saddle the outer edge and use a mallet to beat the channel into form. I will try annealing the frame first. and a good samaritan here on the samba had a part of an old slider i can use for spare rail. so i can run a test or two on some short pieces.

So anyone into metal manipulation? got tips? Please? any advise or encouragement will help me start mangling these frames. Surprised
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red hot will yield a suprise you will never forget, to anneal aluminum get it sooty with an oxy/acetelene torch burning just acetelene and then heat till the soot just starts to burn off, there's a fine line between annealed and melted Shocked Watch out when picking up the frame too, aluminum conducts heat really well and even the far end will get warm.

Your biggest issue is going to be straightening the bend and getting the new one in while maintaining perpendicular edges and angles on the extrusions.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were these frames originally drawn over a die to make the bends, or were they bent in a similar "press" fashion as rustbus is attempting? I know nothing about metallurgy, I'm just curious.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: