Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1975 Basic Bug 110
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
akcapsamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, a bit of a first: a 110 advertised as such:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1434453

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any one have a picture of the headliners for these cars, I think I've come accross a NOS one in the vw box. But its only 3 bows in it, although it does come with the bows. Just trying to narrow it down anyone got an idea.

close up of material

Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan, thanks for the close up photos in your other topic, showing fiber card board trim strips and sewing details..
Pretty cool to come across a NOS example. Cool This will be helpful for using as a pattern for future references.
Yeah the 3 bow count sounds about right (if I recall correctly). HFOAIE on the third page mentioned they were..

In another somewhat related thread.. Danpa had found a source in the UK for these partial roof center headliners, although were 4-Bow instead of 3. (plus according to their ad, are made with perforated vinyl.. but could make one with other materials on request).
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the pictures from the other thread, if someone wants it this one is going up for sale although i have no idea what to ask for it. Just helping my neighbor out clearing out his shed before he moves.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its too bad there was no VW part number sticker on that box!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was but it was way to far gone to make out... it should have started with a 110-xxx-xxx
65 dlx Slow build
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not great shots, but here is mine.

1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say what the part number would have been. The 110 designation was USA (and Canada I think) only in 1975, but the partial headliner was also used in 1200 models and it could very well be the same headliner part number on the 110..

The only readily available VW parts book from the 70s is from the beginning of model year 1972... and looking in there I see part number 111 867 501E for the headliner on 111 and 112 models starting in 8/71.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to actually buy the correct B&W houndstooth fabric to do the seats in my 110. They sell by the yard, and it is 57 inches wide. Anyone know how man yards to order to get the job done?
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
HFOAIE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Hard to say what the part number would have been. The 110 designation was USA (and Canada I think) only in 1975, but the partial headliner was also used in 1200 models and it could very well be the same headliner part number on the 110..

The only readily available VW parts book from the 70s is from the beginning of model year 1972... and looking in there I see part number 111 867 501E for the headliner on 111 and 112 models starting in 8/71.

Volkswagen part numbers were based on the model on which they were first used. That's why '68 & later Bug headlight rings carry the part number 311; they were first used on type 3's. And a great deal of part numbers on parts for "deluxe" Bugs start with 111 because these parts are shared with "standard" Bugs. The 110 Basic Bug would have used the "standard" 111 headliner from Europe which was first used on a 111 for 1972, so 111 is the correct number for a 110 headliner. I'm not so sure if there were any parts on a 110 that would have actually carried a 110 part number; maybe the dash pad. While I'm on the subject, the plastic clips which hold the interior door panels in place carry a 211 part number. I believe they were first used on the type 2 double cab.
Stephen Paul Hardy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Basic Bug 110 Reply with quote

Thank you for all the really useful and informative information given in this string of postings folks. I have signposted readers to them from http://www.sebeetles.com/rs005/
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HFOAIE wrote:
glutamodo wrote:

Volkswagen part numbers were based on the model on which they were first used. That's why '68 & later Bug headlight rings carry the part number 311; they were first used on type 3's. And a great deal of part numbers on parts for "deluxe" Bugs start with 111 because these parts are shared with "standard" Bugs. The 110 Basic Bug would have used the "standard" 111 headliner from Europe which was first used on a 111 for 1972, so 111 is the correct number for a 110 headliner. I'm not so sure if there were any parts on a 110 that would have actually carried a 110 part number; maybe the dash pad. While I'm on the subject, the plastic clips which hold the interior door panels in place carry a 211 part number. I believe they were first used on the type 2 double cab.

I believe TMI now sells these kind of headliners, listed as center section European style.

Dan
HFOAIE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Basic Bug 110 Reply with quote

There's something that probably needs to be clarified for people who are not intimately familiar with Volkswagens. When we say there was no flow-through ventilation in the Basic 110, that is almost entirely separate from the heating system. The government required the heater to be there. In the dashboard, for our purposes here, the heating vents are the two in the side corners and one in the center. In "deluxe" Bugs, the two systems were interconnected by hoses behind the dashboard. Flow-through ventilation was for fresh air to flow through the car. Up front, it consisted of the vent on top of the front hood, the air box under that, two interior vents on top of the dashboard directly in front of the driver and passenger, and two control knobs under the radio. In the back were crescent shaped vents in back of each side rear window. All this stuff is missing on a Basic 110. A few further important details are in the metal of the body itself. The small bracket to mount the lower side of the air box is not there. The hole behind the gas tank for the air box drain is not there. The mounting brackets for the adjusting mechanism are not there. The holes in the sheet metal dashboard for the knob axes to come through are not there. The holes in the sheet metal for the two inside vents at the top of the dash are not there. At the back, the holes inside the car for the air to exit are not there. And of course, outside, there are no holes cut in the sheet metal.
HFOAIE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Basic Bug 110 Reply with quote

Something else which hasn't been specified here: Those three colors on the Basic 110 (red, yellow, blue) were more deep, more intense than the colors used on more expensive Bugs. Red Bug It makes them easier to spot, and probably easier to sell back when they were new.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: dash pad Reply with quote

75VW110 wrote:
anyone come across a source for the dash pad for these bugs?

Found one on eBay several months ago for 125.00! Take a look and be patient.

It was an old stock Bug Pack dash.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Stephen Paul Hardy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Basic Bug 110 Reply with quote

Thank you for all the excellent information in this discussion thread (and others on the subject posted on this site) from a European perspective this 1975 year only model has several significant connections including the "ancestry" connections to the further reduction in specification of the 1200cc Sparkaefer (Spartan Beetle) for the 1975 model year in Europe, unusual "hybrid" 1300cc model imported into the UK for 1975 etc., https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/1_75_bug_german/5.jpg

In particular akcapsamb your very detailed entry Sept 22, 2010 and further posts that resulted from it is very helpful. Very Happy

The references to M149 are a Idea moment for me. This option number does not appear on the factory production computer print outs for the Special Editions because it is already an implicit component of the relevant "S" option package. (see examples here https://www.jeansbeetles.com/modele%201974%20english.htm)

I discuss the significance here which separately correlates comments made in the excellent posting already mentioned above http://www.sebeetles.com/rs005/

and similarly correlatig comments about where VW found themselves in the mid 1970s the additional information in respect of the US market, price tag hikes etc all add reinforcing dimensions http://www.sebeetles.com/the-special-edition-beetl...970-1979/.

Finally a question: have any more photos - especially of Model 110 when new come to light?
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Basic Bug 110 Reply with quote

I have a 110 that I currently use as my daily driver, but I plan to restore in the future. It is a Africa Red (Senegalrot), California model (dash speaker panel says 'unleaded only' and the fuel filler has the unleaded restrictor, but it didn't have a catalytic converter when I got it). It was built in January of 1975. It came with a dealer installed AM radio.

My window rubbers have been replaced with the exception of the doors and they look like they will need replacement again here in the future. Are the window rubbers supposed to have the channel for trim (black) or were they without the channel?

Did the center tunnel have the felt-like material covering it or was the tunnel bare? Mine was bare when I got it, but I can't tell if it was always that way or not. Is there a good source of that material?

Did the badge on the engine lid say 'Volkswagen' or did it say 'Fuel Injected'? I have a black 'Fuel Injected' badge in my stash of spare parts, but thought I would double check. The badge that was on the car when I got it is an aluminum 'Volkswagen'

Does the cardboard front trunk liner interchange with any other models? Mine isn't in the greatest shape so I was wondering if there is a good replacement out there.

What kind of black was used on the trim pieces? Was it glossy, semi-gloss, or flat? The finish has worn off most of my trim (headlights, signals, bumpers, etc).

Was the exhaust pipe black?

What color was the vinyl that went on the houndstooth seats (ie the sides, back, and headrest)? I assume it was black. I'm looking into having new covers made for my seats (my seats were recovered in the past with basket weave).

Thanks!
-Zeke
HFOAIE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Basic Bug 110 Reply with quote

Window rubbers have no channel for chrome.
The felt covers front and rear of the tunnel, but not under the handbrake.
The decklid badge says fuel injected.
Trunk liner doesn't interchange with anything else.
Trim was flat black.
When my father bought my Basic 110 at less than 2 years old, the exhaust pipe was already rusty.
The vinyl is basically semi-gloss.
HFOAIE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Basic Bug 110 Reply with quote

You (Stephen Paul Hardy) seem to be implying that the Basic 110 is a special edition. It is the opposite of a special edition.

Last edited by HFOAIE on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Basic Bug 110 Reply with quote

Ha, yeah, sort of an "unspecial edition" lol. Twisted Evil

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: