Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

14" tire options?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
I am still trying to find something from VW indiacating that is is OK to use 1433# in determining the correct tire to be used. IAll I have been able to find is where they to say to use the tires they suggested all which exceed that 1433 number.

As I said the load rating for the stock 205/70R14 reinforced passenger tire when derated comes out to almost exactly 1433#. I have seen lots of publications that say passenger tires must be derated and have seen none that say XL rated passenger tires do not have to be derated, while charts from Goodyear and others show extra load tires as being derated. I have seen a lot of statements by people who say or imply the XL rated tires don't need to be derated but nothing by the safety people or the tire industry. It would just make sense that VW engineers would chose a 1433# rated tire that fully and safely met the 1433# axle load requirements of the vehicle they designed.

Quote:
If you could point me someplace where that 1433# is stated by VW I would be eternally grateful.

So to answer your question check the tire inflation sticker on most any standard Vanagon.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Why do you think this is discontinued? It is still listed on Firestone's website
http://www.firestonetire.com/tires/destination/destination-a-t
I have it and think it is a great tire, it has a great all around tread design, is M&S rated, is sufficiently rated for a vanagon and I lke them around 40/44, smooth quiet ride and about as stable as the BFG 195/75 D load tire from my seat of the pants comparison. If these were not available I would try the Cooper Discoverr in the same size with a similar load rating.

dixoncj wrote:
yiucycle wrote:
I been running this firestone destination 225/70/r14 for about 5000 mile and it great that i can drive 65 without over reving. Also this model is discontinue so it was $90 each after a $50 rebate(on 4 tires @ firestone store). The tread pattern looks semi aggressive so i could do some light offroading. But this tires must be install on the factory alloy wtih factory cone style lug nuts and lug bolts(steel wheels use ball style).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So bummed that they discontinued this tire. I currently have these on my Westy - with plenty of tread still left. They are excellent. I drove to the FLA keys from Charleston on 'em this past summer with the van loaded absolutely to the hilt. No issues whatsoever.

Dave - they're on the Firestone site, but not TireRack. A buddy just tried to source a set thru Firestone and had a hell of a time. If you want some, better get 'em fast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting six pages. I never would have given a thought to tire pressure for the tire.
I even Googled tire air pressure vs ambient temp and found a chart.

Our Weekender has the 39fr 48rr sticker. The data plate gives the GVWR with fr and rr weights. I don't know if fuel and passengers are taken into account. No worries for now.

I crunched the numbers and came up with pressures for the
Herc Power CV 195's.

Great for the peace of mind if nothing else. Great baseline to work from.

Usually I just pumped them up to 10# of max and run with it, on any of my vehicles, for years. Hmphh.

Thanks again,
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Here are some specific recommendations of tires that DO meet Vanagon spec

14": Hankook RA08 195R14 and 185R14. BFG AT Ko 195x75x14. Nokian Hakka C 185R14
15": Michellin Agilis 205x65x15, BFG AT Ko 215x75x15, Nokian WRC Van 205x65x15
16": BFG AT Ko 215x70x16, Nokian WRC Van 205x6 5x16

So is there a downside to the Kumho 857's? Do they not make your list because you're not familiar with them or for some other reason? Is it "The 857's primary application is to be mounted on a trailer."?

Not looking to grandstand about these tires, just honestly curious about them as they're on my rig now. Reading through the Roadhaus link you posted they seem to exceed all the Vanagon minimum requirements (oem size 185R14C has an 8 ply rating, D load range, 1874# max load, 65psi max inflation, and is in the light truck category which has reinforced side walls).

Thanks,
Tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireack lists them as Trailer tires (only)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
Tireack lists them as Trailer tires (only)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857

Already been through this...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=531882&highlight=trailer+tires+vanagon

From Kumho site:
"For commercial light truck, transporter, van and trailer."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hankook RA08 is also listed as a Trailer tire:
http://www.hankooktireusa.com/Product/product.aspx...FnCode=046

hmmmm...
I run Nokians
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each, their own.

I didn't care for the RA08's after they had some miles on them. iirc, they are a Summer tread.

I'm trying these out in the 195's. Only have <2k miles. They seem worthy so far and are listed as an all-season tire.
But I've noticed many glitches on many websites.
http://www.herculestire.com/tire-gallery/passenger-and-light-truck/light-truck/power-cv/
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
I'm trying these out in the 195's.

Much respect for your research and for posting links to support your statements.

Looks like that Herc is a good option in 14", great load rating!

how much do they cost and do you have a link to a vendor?
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my math is correct, psi works out to 41fr and 44rr.
Data tags show 5160 GVWR, Fr 2646 , Rr 2866

The Hercules search shows a shop in Pleasanton. Valley Tire Service.

I think is was in the 5-6 hun range out the door for five on loose rims.
AND, they are about the only shop that knows how to read the red and yellow dots on the tires. But that's another thread.

Last edited by regis101 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**edit: I was responding to comments which have now been edited out by the poster. Unable to delete my posting now. Neutral

You can see the thread I linked to for my impression of the Kumho 857.

I originally had Herc's on my van and didn't like them much, although they were old and fairly worn (not worn out but came with the van) so I'm not really giving them a fair shake. The Kumhos definitely track much more solidly than the Hercs did though and have less flex when cornering.

Last edited by geo_tonz on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herc 195R14
Max Load 2095
Max Psi 65
regis101 wrote:
If my math is correct, psi works out to 41fr and 44rr.

not sure how you got to those values, I came up with slightly different ones

Here is the factory door sticker info for 2wd Vanagon tire inflation for
185R14C:
- Max Load 1710 lbs
- Max Inflation 55 psi
- Inflation 39 front, 48 rear up until 1988
- Inflation 43 front, 53 rear from 1989 to 1991

since the 195 tire has more load capacity, imo the inflations that are equivalent to the 1988 and earlier door sticker, would be
38f 46r (I would make that the absolute Lowest pressure for that tire)

but the higher inflation specified in 1989 for the 185R14 would be equivalent to a 195R14 inflated to
42f 51r (I consider this a safer inflation for that 195 tire)
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The data tag shows GVWR at 5160 . GAWR is, Fr 2646 so half of that is 1323. Rr 2866, so half of that is 1433.

I then used this formula?
Fr 1323/2094 x 65
Rr 1433/2094 x 65

Fr 41
Rr 44

The other tag on the hinge side of the door gives the 39 and 48 for the 185/r14 6 ply but I don't know what tire it was based upon.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
The data tag shows Fr 2646 so half of that is 1323. Rr 2866, so half of that is 1433.

> The other tag on the hinge side of the door gives the 39 and 48 for the 185/r14 6 ply but I don't know what tire it was based upon.

Those are Gross Vehicle Axle weight ratings, not tire inflation targets.

your math is correct, but your load inflation targets are too low

The 185R14 is based on a tire with the specs I posted above your post.

for the stock 185R14 tire:
39psi is a load inflation of 1212 lbs
43psi is a load inflation of 1336 lbs
48psi is a load inflation of 1492 lbs
53psi is a load inflation of 1647 lbs
these are straight math values, not load table values. I dont trust load tables, the produce lower PSI for any given load target than straight math.

lets just look at the 1433 gross tire load you calculated, for the rear. That value is lower than the 1492 lbs VW inflated to until 1988, also lower than the 1647 lbs VW started recommending in 1989.

There has never been a vanagon load inflation target of 1433 lbs. Load inflation targets have a margin of safety ABOVE the GVAWR

edit
I was looking at this
http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/OE%20Tire%20Load%20Inflation%20Table.html

and I see that indeed 1433 was a target load inflation of 36 psi on a 40 psi max tire with max load of 1580, on a syncro, not 2wd

but as look over that page, you will see all the other load inflation targets vw changed their mind to over the years, all the way up to 1750 for the rear of a syncro..

hence I still base my inflations on the door sticker, adjusted for the tire that referenced and the new tire

Last edited by Jon_slider on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda missing something. But it'll come.
How are the load inflation targets calculated.

I was thinking that per given axle weight, a specific tire gets inflated to meet that weight.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> How are the load inflation targets calculated.

here is how I do it

VW used a 185 tire rated
1710 lbs at
55 psi
and they said to inflate to 43 front, in 1989

the way I do the math is
tire pressure for the 185 tire, divided by the max pressure, times the max load, like this
43/55x1710= 1337 pounds of load inflation

next use the 1337 in relation to the tire you have, example

195R14 tire rated
2095 lbs @
65 psi

calculate
vw load inflation, divided by new tire max load, times new tire max pressure, like this
1337/2095x65= 42 psi

this is the definitive source of info
http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/guideline.html

I hope that helps

your idea of using the GVWR is not bad, but its not how VW did it

what VW did is they told us what tire they used, and its specs, and they told us what inflation to use

they also told us what a load table says those pressures mean in terms of load capacity.
Load table VW used here:
http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/OE%20Tire%20Load%20Inflation%20Table.html

according to that table, the 185 tire at 43psi front, carried a load of 1480 pounds.

so the 1337 that I calculate linear math, is the same as what a load table calls 1480

but load tables are, in my opinion, exaggerated. I don't use 1480 for my math, I use the 1337

IF you wanted to use the 1480 target, for your 195 tire you would have to look up a load table for your tire, then find the pressure that produces 1480 on that tire.. I find that more complicated, and less valid, because load tables, in USA, assume that even with 0 air in the tire, that the tire can still carry 21% of the total load. So for a 185 tire, they assume that even totally flat, it can carry 21% of 1710, which is 359 pounds.
To me that is total bullshit. And in Europe they agree with me, that american tire load calculations are overly optimistic. Its all politics.

the linear math I use, says all of the load is carried by the air, and none of it by the tire carcass with no air in it. So my way is going to produce a higher air psi than a load table. Meaning, my way will use more air pressure than the load table. So my way is "safer", in my opinion.

Once you get a tire pressure that you think is in the right ballpark, you should still drive the vehicle and see if you are OK with it.

personally, I tend to like my tires on the harder side, to reduce body roll in curves, so my linear math, inflates higher, producing harder tires, that I prefer.
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, what I found in the load tables, is that the relationship is not linear..so calculations may or may not be correct. In another thread, I did work through this example, and it looks like VW did use the GAWR at each axle in this syncro to set tire pressure recommendations:

"I can see where the confusion comes from, particularly as the AT2 tires are spec'd in some sizes as LT, in others as iso-metric. The jam sticker on your syncro shows 36 front and 40 psi rear, so OE tires were the Michelin MXL 205/70R-14. That reinforced tire carried 1580lbs at 40psi. It does not get de-rated as it is a specially reinforced passenger tire. So 40 psi (on the OE tires) at the rear gets you to 3160lbs (1580 x 2) over two tires. Guess what your vehicles rear GAWR is? 3042lbs.

Your new AT-2 tires are iso metric, therefore the load capacity of 1764lbs is rated at 36psi (different than for LT tires, where max load is specified at tire pressures of 50 for load rated C, 65psi for load D etc.). An iso metric 215/75R15 carries 1764lbs at 36psi, however in that particular size of General Grabber AT2, are not spec'd as LT tires. You should de-rate 10%. Therefore the load rating at 36 psi is more like 1587lbs when de-rated as required. An 87 Syncro Westy GAWR Front is 2866lbs, and 3042lbs rear. Your OE tire was spec'd at 36 PSI, so reading off the table (page A12 in link below for reinforced tires) for a OE Tire 97 load rating at 36 psi, we get 1433 lbs..so over two tires corresponds exactly to the front GAWR of 2866. So if you want to approximate OE pressure up front, From the link below, page A 11 (iso-metric load table), the pressure values for a tire with load rating of 100 (like your AT2s) indicate ~28psi up front, however we need to derate 10%, so 32 psi would be a safe minimum up front assuming GAWR of 2866lbs.

The pressure differential between front/back can be used to effect understeer/oversteer (as an autocrosser, this is basic tuning), however VW wasn't trying to do that with your van. The OE spec of 36psi front/40psi rear reflects the GAWR differential of ~200lbs. Chazz, if VW was trying to increase understeer (the so-called safer handling characteristic), they would increase pressure in the front over the rear...less pressure up front actually increases oversteer. This tendency on a properly aired Westy is evident if you enter a corner a bit "hot". Rather than braking, back off the throttle. The change in balance (and a bit of rear wheel compression braking) can be felt immediately at the wheel in terms of reduced understeer. The back end gets a bit lighter due to mass balance shifting forward...so you are helped around the corner. Autocrossing a well balanced car, slight trailing throttle oversteer is a great way to corner fast in a FWD car Smile

So based on a 215/75 R15 iso metric tire with a load rating of 100, derated for truck use, your minimum pressures to get close to OE spec for an 87 Syncro Westy should be ~32psi front, and ~36psi rear. There is no reason that you can't run 40 and 44 to improve highway behaviour, with a hit to ride harshness. I'm running the AT2 14s, therefore require 50psi in the back and 40psi front based on a 1990 2wd Westy GAWR. My personal comments on these tires are basically great ride, however somewhat vague on the highway with respect to stearing input. In other words, Ok, but not ideal IMHO.

All the numbers above came from the load tables here: http://www.toyotires.ca/sites/default/files/loadinflationtable.pdf "
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the vanagonauts site, they address tire pressure. If I'm reading correctly, the formula for (my) tires is very close , within a decimal of Jon's calc's.

It reads as follows.
OE tire max load X Sticker recommended PSI / OE tire max PSI

Then multiply that to the

New tire max PSI / New tire max load

My new PSI numbers come in at 41.4 Fr and 50.~ rr

A copy/paste from the Vanagonauts

**It is as follows:
[Original Tires Max Load Rating] * [Sticker's
Recommended P.S.I.] / [Original Tires Max P.S.I.] *
[New Tires Max P.S.I.] / [New Tires Max Load Rating]

The tire manufacturer should be able to provide you
with a load rating vs tire pressure chart also for
your particular tire.

These are the numbers that I use for my tires:
Original Tire - Load rating "C" or 1,433lbs @ 48 psi
MAX
New Tire - Load rating "96" or 1,609 lbs @ 44 psi MAX

Recommended Original Pressure, 39 psi Front, 48 psi
Rear

Calculated Pressure for my tires, 33 psi Front, 40 psi
Rear
** end copy/paste.

I'm still fu'd, huh.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
On the vanagonauts site, they address tire pressure. If I'm reading correctly, the formula for (my) tires is very close , within a decimal of Jon's calc's.

It reads as follows.
OE tire max load X Sticker recommended PSI / OE tire max PSI

Then multiply that to the

New tire max PSI / New tire max load

My new PSI numbers come in at 41.4 Fr and 50.~ rr

I agree!
Here are the numbers plugged in
First the facts
OE tire
1710 max load
55 max psi
43 sticker inflation

New tire
2095 max load
65 psi max inflation

Calculate
1710 x 43 / 55 x 65 / 2095 = 41.48

Well done!

Please post a link to the vanagonaut formula. Fwiw, they are using linear proportions, exactly like I do.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the article.

http://www.vanagonauts.com/Tire-Pressure4.htm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: