Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

14" tire options?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denwood wrote:
That reinforced tire carried 1580lbs at 40psi. It does not get de-rated as it is a specially reinforced passenger tire. So 40 psi (on the OE tires) at the rear gets you to 3160lbs (1580 x 2) over two tires. Guess what your vehicles rear GAWR is? 3042lbs.

Check this link:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&am...9444,d.cGE

They use as an example of a passenger tire needing to have its load rating reduce when used on an SUV or other light truck a 305/50R20 tire with a 3086# load rating at 50psi. This is an XL tire. From the best I can determine the paragraph on load reduction comes straight from the Tire and Rim Association as many tire companies use the same exact example.

If you have found something of authority that says differently I would like to see it.
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that equation is correct. The maximum load rating is specified for a certain pressure. For Standard Load it's 35 psi, for XL it's 41 psi, for Load Range C it's 50 psi, etc. The max load doesn't really play into this. If You have an XL tire for instance that has a load index of 98 that rating is at 41 psi, not max inflation. That is likely why the late vans with the alloys spec'd 40 psi rear, since they were using 97R (same as XL) tires (they got the tire closest but slight higher capacity than needed). Now the capacity does go up with pressure, but you don't want to get near max pressure or you risk tire damage. I think some people have had blowouts since they thought they had to have xx amount of pressure regardless of what the max load pressure was and were putting in 50 psi (or whatever) in a tire meant to run at 41 or less.
So since capacity is proportional to pressure the equation would be more like max load pressure psi / max rated load x needed capacity = needed inflation psi.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
This is the article.

http://www.vanagonauts.com/Tire-Pressure4.htm

Thank You!
here is that formula

(OE tire max load) X (Sticker recommended PSI) / (OE tire max PSI) X (New tire max PSI) / (New tire max load) = new tire recommended inflation

And thanks for using specific tire examples of 14" tires that meet Vanagon specs. Totally On topic and very helpful.

Last edited by Jon_slider on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
denwood wrote:
That reinforced tire carried 1580lbs at 40psi. It does not get de-rated as it is a specially reinforced passenger tire. So 40 psi (on the OE tires) at the rear gets you to 3160lbs (1580 x 2) over two tires. Guess what your vehicles rear GAWR is? 3042lbs.

They use as an example of a passenger tire needing to have its load rating reduce when used on an SUV or other light truck a 305/50R20 tire with a 3086# load rating at 50psi. This is an XL tire. From the best I can determine the paragraph on load reduction comes straight from the Tire and Rim Association as many tire companies use the same exact example.

If you have found something of authority that says differently I would like to see it.

I think wildthings is proibably right. I've seen similar examples and the derating rule refers to "passenger car tires" without specifically excluding XL or R tires from that definition.

So I wonder when the derating came about. If it was after 1991 that would makes sense, because if that 97R tire was required to be derated it would not have met the syncro weight.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, the XL and RF should be treated as passenger car tires as far as de-rating goes.

I too have wondered exactly when the de-rating came into effect. I find it a little surprising that VW went with the 205/70/14 97R at all on the Syncro. Especially when you put it in the context of the other tires listed on the Syncro door sticker. The 205R14C is massively higher load rated for example.

Mark

davevickery wrote:

I think wildthings is proibably right. I've seen similar examples and the derating rule refers to "passenger car tires" without specifically excluding XL or R tires from that definition.

So I wonder when the derating came about. If it was after 1991 that would makes sense, because if that 97R tire was required to be derated it would not have met the syncro weight.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at this chart
http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/OE%20Tire%20Load%20Inflation%20Table.html
you will see VW used 1580 as a rear load inflation target on both Syncros and 2wd vans at different times. You will also see VW used rear axle load inflations as high as 1710 lbs for 2wd, and as high as 1750 lbs for a syncro. Those values are higher than the rear GVAWR, which for a 2wd was 1433, and for a Syncro was 1521.

Here is info about the use of XL tires, and the 9% derating of passenger tires. It does not say to derate XL tires. In fact it says the tire with a 1580 max load rating was the lowest XL rated tire VW used.

===
http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/guideline.html
"The  205/70R14 97R VW used was a "special" passenger car tire.

This might lead some people to assume they can use passenger car tires instead of Light Truck tires on a Vanagon.

However there are two factors to consider.

1) This OE tire had a "Reinforced sidewall. In today's tire market , passenger car tires with a reinforced sidewall will have either a  XL or RF designation. 

Example 305/50R20 XL or 305/50R20 RF.

Light Truck tires by the nature of their design already have reinforced sidewalls and thus the XL & RF designations do not apply.

2) The second issue and perhaps the least understood, in using a passenger Car tire on a Light truck application is the 9% rule.

What the heck is this ....

Using passenger car tires on light trucks should be approached with caution. The varied service that a light truck undergoes and because these vehicles have a higher center of gravity and greater probability of being overloaded than passenger cars means that the rated load-carrying capacity of a passenger car tire used on it is reduced. When referencing a passenger car tire for light truck use, decrease the tires load capacity by 9%"
===

At different times and with different tires, VW used Front load targets on a Syncro of 1365, 1433, 1465, and 1480 pounds. I was not aware that those were ever the GVAWR for the front of a Van.

http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/guideline.html
"Vanagon & Camper ... GAWR Rear 2866 / 2 = 1433 lbs on each rear wheel if loaded to capacity
Syncro Vanagon & Camper ... GAWR Rear 3042 / 2 = 1521 lbs on each rear wheel if loaded to capacity"

VW used load inflations for the rear of a Syncro, whose rear GVAWR was 1521, of 1580, and also 1750, at different times and with different tires. My point is the load inflations exceed the axle ratings, they are not the same.

But you can skip all the load table concerns, and all the derating concerns, by avoiding P and XL tires, and using C or D rated tires instead. And you can extrapolate the inflation for the new tire, based on the door sticker, without ever needing a load table.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry did a great thing when he researched and wrote his famous tire blog but some of what is there is simply opinions, which he admits. It has a lot of good info but some of it is less so IMHO. If no one can cite a real source for not treating XL and RF passenger tires as passenger tires then I will treat them as passenger tires and de-rate them until such evidence comes into play.

Mark
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke with John the Technical Guy at Kumho Tires USA (800) 445-8646.

He told me that the Kumho 857 series tires are indeed a suitable tire for use in a VW bus or vanagon. Nice and stiff in the sidewall and able to support some serious weight. Some trailer tires do have construction or desgin details that make them unsuitable for use as car or truck tire and those all "trailer only tires" have the prefix of "ST" for the restrictions to be used only for trailer use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take science over seat-of-the-pants any day.
My pants are worn out
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
I just spoke with John the Technical Guy at Kumho Tires USA (800) 445-8646.

He told me that the Kumho 857 series tires are indeed a suitable tire for use in a VW bus or vanagon. Nice and stiff in the sidewall and able to support some serious weight. Some trailer tires do have construction or desgin details that make them unsuitable for use as car or truck tire and those all "trailer only tires" have the prefix of "ST" for the restrictions to be used only for trailer use.

Cool, Thanks!

I emailed them but didn't receive a response and left it...should have dialed them up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chatting with Jon over pm's, and reading over my own post on the load tables examination, I'm thinking the equation:

(OE tire max load) X (Sticker recommended PSI) / (OE tire max PSI) X (New tire max PSI) / (New tire max load) = new tire recommended inflation

will consistently deliver PSI ratings that may slightly exceed the load tables, but not under. To understand the p-metric, reinforced, iso-metric and LT load tables, and the 10 pages of tech stuff associated is all there in the TOYO document, but easy to make a mistake interpreting the volume of information there. That equation though is pretty straightforward. I'd suggest we throw up an excel sheet link, run the tires through it and cross check with the load tables. Anyone posting a question can decide if they want to wade through the technobabble, or just plug the numbers into the spreadsheet to assess their options.

Then the next person who asks gets the excel link and a smile Smile
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2wd Vanagon including Camper
original tire 185r14
max load 1710
max psi 55
front psi 43
rear psi 53

new tire 195R14
max load 2095
max psi 65
front psi 41
rear psi 51

new tire 195x75/14
max load 1710
max psi 65
front psi 51
rear psi 63

===

4wd Vanagon including Camper
original tire 205/70/14
max load 1580
max psi 40
front psi 36
rear psi 40

new tire 195R14
max load 2095
max psi 65
front psi 44
rear psi 49

new tire 195x75/14
max load 1710
max psi 65
front psi 54
rear psi 60

14" tires that meet Vanagon specs
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1086_1324/nokian_tire_185r14c_hakka_c.html

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=B...;tab=Specs

http://www.busdepot.com/RA08195

http://www.herculestire.com/tire-gallery/passenger-and-light-truck/light-truck/power-cv/
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this a defect?? Front tire depression with about 20k on them 1yr 8 months old. hankook ra08
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devesvws wrote:
is this a defect?? Front tire depression with about 20k on them 1yr 8 months old. hankook ra08
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oddly enough that is quite common except that most people never notice.

I have had this both on cheap tires as well as high end expensive ones and on a variety of vehicles, not just vans. If your worried check with your tire place but they will probably tell you not to worry about it.
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well not worried, but a lot of folks on here know way more than I do so it never hurts to ask. so what is that? I have noticed other tires too...
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to tirerack, indentation - OK, protrusion - BAD.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=32
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Kumho road venture AT kl78 Reply with quote

Found these on the kumho canada site. Not listed in 14" on tire rack site but available at my local kumho dealer. Seem to meet the specs for load and the shop says they will mount on the 5.5 inch rim. It's a 27x8.5 LT tire and looks prettyy nice. Price is $130 each, which is way cheaper than BFG or yoko Y370 that we get here.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Kumho road venture AT kl78 Reply with quote

junichi wrote:
Found these on the kumho canada site. Not listed in 14" on tire rack site but available at my local kumho dealer. Seem to meet the specs for load and the shop says they will mount on the 5.5 inch rim. It's a 27x8.5 LT tire and looks prettyy nice. Price is $130 each, which is way cheaper than BFG or yoko Y370 that we get here.

WHAT MODEL TIRE? I CAN'T FIND ANY ON THE US SITE.
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: kumho Reply with quote

See title of my post : )

Here's the link:
http://www.kumhotire.ca/en/tire/category/truck-suv/8CE40218-BC5C-47D0-AC9C-3207A8C1C3A3
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought these tires:

LANDSAIL LS288 RADIAL ALL SEASON XLPLY BW - P205/70R14 98H

$62 each with free shipping. They seem to meet the required specs for the vanagon 2wd. They are rated XL on the sidewall. I'll let you know how they feel once they are installed.

Did I get the wrong tires? Do these meet spce, or close to it? I have BFG AT on the syncro, and they have been a standard goto tire for a long time AND the don't meet spce, so I figured close enough is not bad... (plus supporting 4 vans they don't all get the top of the line stuff, too much money for my blood).
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: