Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best source for split door glass felt and rubber?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SplitPersonality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Best source for split door glass felt and rubber? Reply with quote

For two 1952-models I want to buy "everything" not steel or glass for the door window assembly - mainly the big long felt channel and the rubber scraper inside/outside, including hardware.

Where is the best place to get this in the world? Wolfsb West, Zarwerks - or that German place? Any first hand knowledge in here?
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The rubber scraper inside/outside, including hardware

These you can find originals at least from Veteranen-Service Germany
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrsherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut up some nos later beetle bonnet rubbers and just used the top centre sections Embarassed to make mine as the rubber was identical size, and then I visited BBT and they sold me the same 'wider' lip rubber, brand new by the metre. I compared it in the shop in my hand at BBT to the window scraper rubber on a pastel green 100% og 50 they have and was happy it is identical. So I bought lots of metres of it, for next time I need some on a car! Laughing

quote 50karmann " it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone post a picture with some measurements? a section, some details, please?

i can use the felt channel from any modern car if it's the same length but i'm curious what the originals look like, the clips that hold the rubber in place, etc Smile

thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread somewhere here already on restoration of the felt channels.

I ordered some rubber channel from Ricardo in Argentina and it is dead on. At least at that time, it was not available anywhere else. You still need to glue the fabric on it then, you can get a mohair fabric from many upholstery suppliers, but make sure it is UV tolerant or it will fade in the sun in just a few weeks...

The curved channel is complex in that the upper part of the glass goes all the way through it at the top, so it has a long slot cut in it. This is to allow you to lower the window just a bit to expose the "notch" near the front for ventilation (neat idea, but it doesn't work) while the top stays closed.

For that reas you can not use an "aftermarket" ordinary felt channel.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can, so long as you don't mind that notch in the glass being exposed slightly with the window in the up position. It's not that noticible, and as John says, you won't notice much in the way of cold air drafts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Solan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Best source for split door glass felt and rubber? Reply with quote

SplitPersonality wrote:
For two 1952-models I want to buy "everything" not steel or glass for the door window assembly - mainly the big long felt channel and the rubber scraper inside/outside, including hardware.

Where is the best place to get this in the world? Wolfsb West, Zarwerks - or that German place? Any first hand knowledge in here?

Hei Øystein Smile

I suppose you found out where to get the felt channel from?
I'm looking to finish up the glass and door windows soon, in my 1952 beetle.

Maybe you even found a supplier closer to home for us Norwegians?

Mvh Svein Lysø
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Best source for split door glass felt and rubber? Reply with quote

Solan wrote:
SplitPersonality wrote:

Hei Øystein Smile

I suppose you found out where to get the felt channel from?
I'm looking to finish up the glass and door windows soon, in my 1952 beetle.

Maybe you even found a supplier closer to home for us Norwegians?

Mvh Svein Lysø

I found a brilliant 100% cotton material from a local fabric store that works and looks ten times better than what is on the market.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Best source for split door glass felt and rubber? Reply with quote

That looks amazing. Can you share exactly what it is? Is it simply black cloth? Is it exterior grade with UV protection? Or did you spray it with some type of protection?
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best source for split door glass felt and rubber? Reply with quote

50Splitman wrote:
That looks amazing. Can you share exactly what it is? Is it simply black cloth? Is it exterior grade with UV protection? Or did you spray it with some type of protection?

Yes I got lucky my wife helped me out with getting this material click the link below.
Hobby Lobby

I am unsure about the UV rating but it is meant for outside conditions.
Cotton duck fabric and is a sturdy cotton canvas fabric. It is often used for making sails, tents, and other outdoor gear. Cotton duck fabric has a waterproof rating of 8.
I hope that helps.

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Best source for split door glass felt and rubber? Reply with quote

Two Glove Boxes wrote:
50Splitman wrote:

Yes I got lucky my wife helped me out with getting this material click the link below.
Hobby Lobby

I am unsure about the UV rating but it is meant for outside conditions.
Cotton duck fabric and is a sturdy cotton canvas fabric. It is often used for making sails, tents, and other outdoor gear. Cotton duck fabric has a waterproof rating of 8.
I hope that helps.

Thanks for sharing the details! Seems like it would be perfect for the application given its outdoor ratings. There is a Hobby Lobby right near me, so this is perfect!
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best source for split door glass felt and rubber? Reply with quote

I just went to Hobby Lobby and picked some up and will be installing this week! They had the fabric in the link you sent, plus they had a full canvas version, which was much heavier, but probably would be too bulky to install, so I went with what you used. Thanks again for the advice.
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Best source for split door glass felt and rubber? Reply with quote

50Splitman wrote:
I just went to Hobby Lobby and picked some up and will be installing this week! They had the fabric in the link you sent, plus they had a full canvas version, which was much heavier, but probably would be too bulky to install, so I went with what you used. Thanks again for the advice.

Awesome glad I could help! 👍

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: