Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sand down orange peel?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Sand down orange peel? Reply with quote

So I made one of many beginner mistakes in that I only put three coats on my car last fall and so wasn't able to color sand all the orange peel out before I got to the primer. BTW I used single stage PPG concept - Black!

I plan on painting it again next spring but I'm wondering how to go about it properly. Should I sand it completely down to primer? If I just rough it up for paint instead, would the orange peel show through again with successive layers of paint? What do you guys recommend?

Gracias
deaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont need to sand it to primer as long as the previous layers were prepped properly. you will be able to see the orange peel very well in black paint once you start sanding. sand until there is no more dimples. (once again this will be very obvious) if you want it really flat, sand it out by hand with blocks, using long strokes. takes longer but your finish will be flatter. then clean alot...and re-shoot your single stage!
do this when your ready to paint. dont sand it out then shoot six months from now.

hope that helps
deaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, sand it out to 400 grit. dont watch scratches in the new stuff! Very Happy
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deaner wrote:
you dont need to sand it to primer as long as the previous layers were prepped properly. you will be able to see the orange peel very well in black paint once you start sanding. sand until there is no more dimples. (once again this will be very obvious) if you want it really flat, sand it out by hand with blocks, using long strokes. takes longer but your finish will be flatter. then clean alot...and re-shoot your single stage!
do this when your ready to paint. dont sand it out then shoot six months from now.

hope that helps

Thanks very much for the tips. But to be clear I have already wet sanded with 1500 grit as much as I really can before I start to see small areas where I am going through to the primer.

Should I keep going and get all the orange peel out (it's about 1/2 gone) even though some areas will break through? Or are you saying to just paint over what I have and then worry about any orange peel later on the new coats?
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19typethree67 wrote:
deaner wrote:

hope that helps

Thanks very much for the tips. But to be clear I have already wet sanded with 1500 grit as much as I really can before I start to see small areas where I am going through to the primer.

Should I keep going and get all the orange peel out (it's about 1/2 gone) even though some areas will break through? Or are you saying to just paint over what I have and then worry about any orange peel later on the new coats?

Ya know what, I re-read your post and I think I get the jist now. For some reason it didn't make sense at first. Basically take out the orange peel, even though some areas will be down to primer...but only right before painting. Wink Should I even use 800 just to make sure about the scratches?
deaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no the 400 should be fine. single stage covers well. a finer grit can make less adhesion. so you have it right. when you get close to reshoot time, just re sand it, dont sweat it if you go through to primer and then shoot.
Very Happy
kburg12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to what Deaner is saying to help make it even clearer for you. When a body man finishes his initial body work and after he primes and before he paints a car, the last grit he might use is 320, 400 to smooth out his work and remove the deeper scratches. So if you use the 400 to get through your orange peel then you are in a sense just prepping you body and older paint for a new paint job. The higher grits are for color sanding your clearcoat before polishing. The 320 or 400 grit should leave scratch marks too fine to be seen through the actual paint job. If after your sanding is done, you have bare metal or if you have alot of spots where the primer or older paint shows through, I would spray a coat or 2 of primer and then sealer so that your final paint jobs shade looks even when finished. Hope this helps you understand a bit better.

68 Convertible Beetle
09 Tiguan
09 Beetle
artie325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem when I painted my car. I did not have enough CFM to get a good spray pattern which resulted in orange peel. I recently sanded the whole car down with 400 grit and plan on reshooting the car in the next couple weeks. Check out my post on my painting issues. My guess is that you went through the same thing.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4156100&highlight=#4156100
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artie325 wrote:
I ran into the same problem when I painted my car. I did not have enough CFM to get a good spray pattern which resulted in orange peel. I recently sanded the whole car down with 400 grit and plan on reshooting the car in the next couple weeks. Check out my post on my painting issues. My guess is that you went through the same thing.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4156100&highlight=#4156100

It looks to be exactly my problem, same paint and everything. Shocked
Never thought that I didn't have enough CFM for the spraying but I should look into it more. It was my first time shooting and even though I tried, I'm sure the gun wasn't set up exactly right either.

Let me know how your new re-spray comes out. I plan on doing mine probably next spring now.
artie325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. I was using a Devilbiss Finish Line gun with a Craftsman 30 gallon compressor. I upgraded to a 60 gallon compressor, which would do the job. I will post pics after I paint.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: