Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radials on stock smoothies.....
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1963Vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Radials on stock smoothies..... Reply with quote

Is it ok to use radial tires on stock 1962 smoothy wheels?
Will they lose air?Whats the closest radial size to a 165\15?
Thanks Matt
veedubfreak59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. 165/80/15 is stock size.
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Query requirement for inner tubes when using radials with stock smoothies, something to do with a lip that needs to be present on the rim for the tyre to bed against, otherwise you need inner tubes. Do a search, it will be more informative than my babbling. I just know the topic's come up before and there was a potential issue. Somebody with some actual knowledge will chime in soon...
veedubfreak59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take em into a Discount tire and ask. They wont mount anything that could fail as it will get them sued.
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just mounted radials on my smooties and they hold air fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this thread first... you want tubes.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=400416&highlight=hump
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put radials on hundreds of cars over the yrs with old rims of all yrs with out any issues, the hump on the lip inside the "J" series rims is there to help keep the bead set when and if the tire goes flat, all those 40-50's cars out there, rat rods and stock classics have been running radial wide whites for yrs, no problems,, my 61' and 62' type 1's have stock wheels with radials there really is no issue here, i have seen issues with tubes in radial tires causing a problem, something about the way a radial flex's in relationship to a bias ply tire, it will cause wear inside the tire casing.. Crying or Very sad
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

"every one wants to reinvent the wheel, but nobody knows how to make it round"

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Egorspyle65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive run nothing but radials on all my VWs and never had a problem. Even had a few flats on my 65 bug and still not a problem. Never had a tire roll off them rim. You will be fine running tubeless. Ask anyone at a show if they run tubes on theyre stock rims and im sure you will get lots of NO's.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

14,000 miles (so far) on my stock sized radials on my 65 with smoothies. I don't baby the car and do take it pretty quick on a lot of corners - No issues at all.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, if you want to be "proper" you'll need a 155R15, 155SR15 or 155/80R/15 for your 1962. The 155 is a radial equivalent of the stock 5.60x15 bias ply tire. The 165R15 is a little bigger and is the equivalent of the later beetle's 6.00x15 tire. Either will work ok but the 155 is "correct"
Geier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had radials on my 65 for years with no tubes. Love em.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Well for what it's worth, I've run radials for years with tubes in 'em and had no issues either

Bobmagneto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: tubes or not Reply with quote

As I recall, 57 and later models no longer need tubes. I have a early 57 oval and never had leaking air issues.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. But if you've ever seen the writeup about radial tires that VW put on their old 1200 Workshop manual, they warn that all "currently available" radial tires they tested would not hold up to hard cornering and keep the beads sealed. This was with tubeless rims... so they specified only to use tubes with radials.

Keep in mind, that was probably written circa 1965. Tires have gotten better in the years since then. I certainly never had a tire lose air from hard cornering.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pav266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my experience for what it is worth.

Back around 1982, I converted from bias ply to radials on a 63 bug. Stock rims. I had Goodyear Arriva radials installed at an authorized Goodyear dealer. They were absolutely sure that since the rims were not "safety rims" with the raised lip, that tubes were mandatory. In addition, the tube must be the type that was specifically designed for radials. A bias ply tire tube must not be used.

I ran those tires for over 60,000 miles. The handling was much improved.
If I had to guess, I would say that running radials on old stock rims without tubes would likely work 99.9% of the time. The 0.1% is what gets you in trouble; low inflation and an emergency maneuver which can cause a complete loss of tire pressure as the bead unseats from the rim. I think it has something to do with the more flexible radial tire side wall as compared to a bias ply tire.

FYI, Michelin invented the radial tire. It was originally developed for the Citroen DS which was introduced in 1955. I own a 1969 DS. The tires are a Michelin XAS that are only used on the Citroen "D" models. They are tube type tires. The sidewalls specifically say that tubes must be used.

If it was me, I would use the correct tubes with the radials. I am running tubeless bias plys on my current 1963, but I don't drive it a lot and I wanted the vintage look.

1963 1200 Anthracite
1969 Citroen DS21 Pallas BVH
1974 Citroen SM 2.7L 5 speed injection electronique
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: