Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karl von Salzen's stash
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liveonjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been stated, there is a strong contingent of VW folk in Oregon. I'd be happy to help with this project, I'm sure others would be as well. We'd probably need to make a weekend of it. I'll post a link to this thread over at the IAC.

-John

77 FI 2L Westfalia - Ripple
77 FI 2L Westfalia - Althea
62 Dual Carb Single Cab - Lou
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ruckman101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be able to make it until November, but am game.

neal
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stash is legendary. LOL!! I have a moving fan filled with cushions, fabric, windows, cabinetry, and more...and the cargo unit is filled with engines, transmissions, engine tin, etc. There is an unbelievable amount of stuff here; the baby cots, for example, there must be 35 full sets. Samba doors? At least 8, propped up beside a bus outside. No kidding. I probably have more VW stuff here than our local VW store has in inventory. Thanks to those who recognize what a monumental task I have to deal with.

I will tell you though, you all have a point with the interest for "rare" bits, while few are interested in the "junk." Dad spent years going to wrecking yards, grabbing whatever people needed, usually things people had a hard time with but really needed, like engine tin...without it, our air-cooled motors would overheat. And once it was gone, through rust or whatever, replacing it would be a nightmare.

When I tried to move some of this stuff last winter, I had many who wanted jail bars, garbage cans and their container, plaid, and whatnot...and locally, people just want the uber-transmission for their sandrails.

I'm not looking to throw it away, nor am I looking to give it away...I'm willing to take a loss on it if someone wants the whole lot, someone who will keep it moving within the VW community.

I'm in a bind and I can't express how grateful I am that this community is here for me, how you are all coming through and stepping up. Dad paid it forward, right? Wink

Thank you for all the thoughtful suggestions, and a big thank you to those that offered to help me with the chore of going through this stuff.

Hopefully I addressed everyone, but if I missed something, just holler.

Off to go check PMs. Smile
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, I didn't find your PM. If you sent something, please resend it. Smile
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a great opportunity for the right person. Let's say you made a deal for $50,000. I'm just throwing that number out. Over time, a person could get probably 4 times that much back once he sold off all the pieces.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this helps but as someone who has bought what sounds like a smaller stash of cars and parts in the past:
o Cars - I paid fair market value
o Parts - I paid a fair market value for the "rare" or expensive parts, what we could locate with a quick look-thru among the boxes and crates and various storage containers. All the common parts I told the seller I expected to be free. My reasoning:
1. Some parts would be difficult or time consuming to sell based on their low value or size.
2. There was a lot of random junk that was not going to sell, ever.
3. We were hauling everything away and fully expected to throw a bunch of it away later due to condition. And yes, that did happen.
4. Since I paid fair value for the cars and it was a package deal, I expected the parts to hopefully offset the vehicle cost a little.

The seller had done their research to get a general idea of the value of the vehicles and of most of the parts that were worth something so if you have not done that or cannot do that, hopefully someone can help you out.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, Everett. I agree. Smile Unfortunately, this is part of the whole dilemma.

I don't know what a lot of this stuff is so I have no clue on how "rare" or expensive much of it is. I am more than capable of doing the research however, unless I can identify the part, the research end is pointless. If I were to pile up what I can identify and put it next to what I can't, the first pile will be significantly larger than the second.

This doesn't factor in the things I can identify but not put a year, make or model on...for example, I can look at an engine and know "it's an engine" but without knowing what car it is for, leaves me at another dead end.

Sure, I can take a picture of each item and ask you guys to identify the item for me but that means I'd be spending a day for each item. (This almost sounds like a great game...who ever guesses first gets to have it. LOL! Kidding) This means it would take me a year to get this done, and you'd all be soooo sick of me in no time. If someone could come out and quickly tell me, so I can label it, that would be best. But honestly, who can afford to give me that much time? And how would I know how accurate they were?

The longer this stuff sits, the more it will deteriorate from the weather. I'd like to have 95% of it in a new home by the end of the year.

EverettB wrote:
I don't know if this helps but as someone who has bought what sounds like a smaller stash of cars and parts in the past:
o Cars - I paid fair market value
o Parts - I paid a fair market value for the "rare" or expensive parts, what we could locate with a quick look-thru among the boxes and crates and various storage containers. All the common parts I told the seller I expected to be free. My reasoning:
1. Some parts would be difficult or time consuming to sell based on their low value or size.
2. There was a lot of random junk that was not going to sell, ever.
3. We were hauling everything away and fully expected to throw a bunch of it away later due to condition. And yes, that did happen.
4. Since I paid fair value for the cars and it was a package deal, I expected the parts to hopefully offset the vehicle cost a little.

The seller had done their research to get a general idea of the value of the vehicles and of most of the parts that were worth something so if you have not done that or cannot do that, hopefully someone can help you out.

78Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best bet for you may be to find a person who is knowledgeable in these vw parts and accouterments , like you would hire a worker, and offer them a percentage of the lot when sold.
they can identify,photograph,document and help sell items and they get said percentage of the sales..
just a suggestion. but be wary of scumbags.. they are everywhere..goodluck
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea. Thanks!! (Shawn, right?)

Perhaps that can be the plan with Pat, and maybe Ruckman, if November works out. Wink

78Kombi wrote:
the best bet for you may be to find a person who is knowledgeable in these vw parts and accouterments , like you would hire a worker, and offer them a percentage of the lot when sold.
they can identify,photograph,document and help sell items and they get said percentage of the sales..
just a suggestion. but be wary of scumbags.. they are everywhere..goodluck

jonblack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
But honestly, who can afford to give me that much time? And how would I know how accurate they were?

You could offer a knowledgeable and trustworthy person $100 a day to help. I call it "throw a dog a bone."

Get feedback from the forum on who is knowledgeable and trust worthy and who is not.

As far as accuracy goes, you will be in a much better position, and know much more about what you have, than before you started. That is worth something. Consider it like you are paying $100 a day for a crash course in "Making Money with VW Parts." Consider it an investment. What you learn, and stand to gain, by taking this approach will far outweigh the cost involved.

jonblack
Bosch 205T - has leaky vacuum advance unit - do you have a reasonably priced one?
Points and condensor
Here to learn how to repair and maintain my bus
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee I would like to see a post here with pictures of all the stuff just as a memory log of parts of what Karl had.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
hambone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am recently out of work, and know VWs. Let me know if I could help, may be a good way to make a bit of extra cash in these Tuff Times.
Portland is a long way from Coos Bay though! Would probably have to stay out there a couple days somewhere. Having a camper helps.
Passed thru there last summer, what a neat old town.

I post a lot over on the IAC. Folks would vouch for me. Also a photographer and know PCs. Lemme know, and good luck.
-Bob
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonblack wrote:
Karl wrote:
But honestly, who can afford to give me that much time? And how would I know how accurate they were?

You could offer a knowledgeable and trustworthy person $100 a day to help. I call it "throw a dog a bone."

Get feedback from the forum on who is knowledgeable and trust worthy and who is not.

As far as accuracy goes, you will be in a much better position, and know much more about what you have, than before you started. That is worth something. Consider it like you are paying $100 a day for a crash course in "Making Money with VW Parts." Consider it an investment. What you learn, and stand to gain, by taking this approach will far outweigh the cost involved.

jonblack

$100 is a lot to ask of someone that is just trying to get to know what she has. Most of us would volunteer even just a few hours, and would consider it a privilege to be able to see a big pile of VW history.
patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a few of us should pick a weekend that works with Michelle to head down and assess the situation. I'm out of town the 2nd weekend of October but can do it any other time.

Michelle... PM'd you earlier but have resent the message a 2nd time... please let me know if you don't get it.

yuthi'so'coro
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michelle,

Your dad sent me parts on at least three occasions. Each time, he never asked for a particular price. I just sent him what I thought would be fair. It seemed to work for those, but not sure I'd recommend that for the whole stash!

I'd like to see you get a fair price and not just a bargain price for the stuff.

I think the ideas of selling it in mass or selling piece by piece MAY be good depending on what you have. It may also be, that you can break the stuff into lots and sell all of the body parts to one person, etc. For larger $ items, maybe it would make sense for you to sell them one by one or in smaller lots. i.e. engines.

You can decide what your time is worth and how much hassle you want, but I'd think it might be worth hassling for a couple of months if it means you get twice the money.

My suggestion to save time, and get you some reliable info is for you to video the stash in a few 5 minute videos. Post those online and a bunch of us will view them and give you our opinion. You can compare notes from each opinion and THEN decide how to sell the stuff once you're up to speed.

Mark
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markd89 wrote:
video the stash in a few 5 minute videos. Post those online and a bunch of us will view them and give you our opinion.

This is a good idea. A lot could be identified by passing the camera over things even for a few seconds. Do some over-alls, wait for feedback, then take some more detailed ones based on suggestions received. People here will be able to help you narrow down what is valuable and what is not.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option may be in getting ahold of on the the "bus used parts guys" like (among others):

http://www.bustedbus.com/

http://www.thebusco.com/

And see if they could incorporate those parts back into the bus community "used parts system" for those concerned. The problem is that you really need to know what you are looking at to fiogure out just what it is.

I still miss Karl. He could be a little cranky at first and really did not tolerate fools well, but I liked him and he always treated me very well. "aufever" still makes me smile.

Just my 2 cents....
iratehippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another oregon vw nut, with time on his hands, and am not that far away(cave jct)...could help out.
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Another option may be in getting ahold of on the the "bus used parts guys" like (among others):

http://www.bustedbus.com/

http://www.thebusco.com/

And see if they could incorporate those parts back into the bus community "used parts system" for those concerned. The problem is that you really need to know what you are looking at to fiogure out just what it is.

I still miss Karl. He could be a little cranky at first and really did not tolerate fools well, but I liked him and he always treated me very well. "aufever" still makes me smile.

Just my 2 cents....

Seconded. Chris or Ken would be the appropriate people to consult. They are very knowledgeable individuals who run businesses dealing with all sorts of VW parts.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris (BustedBus) did send me a PM. Thank you all for the character reference. Smile

Last year, I tossed around the idea of setting up a weekend to get you guys out here. How much notice would be fair? One said he could come in November. If I pick a weekend in November, is 6 weeks notice enough time for the majority of you?

Just to make sure you're all informed, this area gets a lot of rain. So, whoever is able to come, please keep in mind, it probably wont be dry.

I have 7 PMs, and hopefully yours is there this time Pat. I don't know what happened to the first one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: