Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karl von Salzen's stash
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early November seems to be a workable time frame for a few of us.

Look forward to being able to help ensure that your dad's legacy of parts gets in the right hands and that you guys are compensated appropriately.

yuthi'so'coro
patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone able to help out with this project the weekend of October 16th?

Right now the plan is to get out there to inventory and photo-document the collection. We'll assign fair market values to the bigger ticket items and group the other miscellaneous parts into vehicle-specific categories... hoping that they can be sold en masse, likely broken down into grouped categories (bay window, split, etc.).

There will likely be hundreds of photos taken and we'll dedicate a thread to the process for those here that are interested in following along, helping determine value, etc.

To give some idea of the scale of the collection...

Quote:
there's a 40 foot cargo unit converted to a parts warehouse, plus a moving van full of stuff, and each bus has stuff in it...as well as what is peppered throughout the property.

Stay tuned.

yuthi'so'coro
Ritter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a portion of Karl's stash when he was still in Fresno. It was.... impressive. I don't know how the hell he moved it all.

Good on you Pat for helping her out.
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can't make it out that way - I Look forward to the tread and documentation. I'm sure there will be fun had!

Thanks to all who take the time to get out there and help catalog!
Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ruckman101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrapping up a move October 16.

This past June, running north up 101 from Eureka, I spotted and almost stopped to check out a Thing on the roadside with a for sale sign. There was also a vanagon and a baja for sale. Could that be the site?

neal
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Ruckman. Dad's thing was air-cooled buses only. And, it's all my fault.

When I was 22, I told Dad I wanted a bus. That was what he always did, he made sure I had a running car. A few months later, a bus showed up on his front lawn. I stopped by, saw it and asked about it. Dad gave me some story about it belonging to a co-worker, and that he was doing shade-tree. I said, "Wellll, see if he wants to sell it!!" Finally, after almost a solid month of pestering him, he showed me the DMV tag in the window with my name on it.

He gave me the bus, a 77 orange camper, then spent the next 5 months saying, "I want my bus back!" Evidently, while fine tuning it for me, he swooned. So, he got himself one...one turned into two...two turned into six...and you know how this goes. Even after parting with some, there are seven buses on the property today.

Wink

ruckman101 wrote:
Wrapping up a move October 16.

This past June, running north up 101 from Eureka, I spotted and almost stopped to check out a Thing on the roadside with a for sale sign. There was also a vanagon and a baja for sale. Could that be the site?

neal

patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I think that was Brian's house... he turns over several bay campers and other misc ACVW vehicles. Near Bandon, OR right on the 101. I know he had a Thing for sale earlier this summer.

yuthi'so'coro
rivifunbus78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see if I can make it over there for the 16th sounds like a good time and a good deed and who knows what cool stuff there will be for first dibs.
Shane
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make the trek on the 16th to help out (or any other weekend for that matter). The least I can do, Karl helped me more times than I can count.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ruckman101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patayres wrote:
No I think that was Brian's house... he turns over several bay campers and other misc ACVW vehicles. Near Bandon, OR right on the 101. I know he had a Thing for sale earlier this summer.

That sounds about right.

I can bring vid gear beyond cell phones and the like. It's a documentary worthy endeavor.

neal
Liveonjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivifunbus78 wrote:
I will see if I can make it over there for the 16th sounds like a good time and a good deed and who knows what cool stuff there will be for first dibs.
Shane

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That you should watch out for.

-John

77 FI 2L Westfalia - Ripple
77 FI 2L Westfalia - Althea
62 Dual Carb Single Cab - Lou
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to say that it is so so so nice to see Karl's avatar in the forums again!

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
No, Ruckman. Dad's thing was air-cooled buses only. And, it's all my fault.

When I was 22, I told Dad I wanted a bus. That was what he always did, he made sure I had a running car. A few months later, a bus showed up on his front lawn. I stopped by, saw it and asked about it. Dad gave me some story about it belonging to a co-worker, and that he was doing shade-tree. I said, "Wellll, see if he wants to sell it!!" Finally, after almost a solid month of pestering him, he showed me the DMV tag in the window with my name on it.

He gave me the bus, a 77 orange camper, then spent the next 5 months saying, "I want my bus back!" Evidently, while fine tuning it for me, he swooned. So, he got himself one...one turned into two...two turned into six...and you know how this goes. Even after parting with some, there are seven buses on the property today.

Wink

Well that is about the most beautiful thing I've heard in a while
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get my PM? Thank you.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it going to be the 16th of october, or some time in november?

Stuart

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Avoid the vultures--they are circling... Reply with quote

What an incredible moment in VW Bus history! From what I gather there is possibly a gold mine of goods. What an Ebay store this could be! My recommendation is that you get two people on your side, one who knows VW's who you can trust and one person (friend, family, acquaintance out of a job or in need to part-time) who you trust and who can run the Ebay store for you. There are private parties who do this who would charge a commision. Of course having someone run the show for you on the Ebay store end would require them to do everything from working with the person who is the VW knowledge base, to staging and taking photos, to packing and shipping, to possibly managing the incoming $. You could pay both folks a commission based on total sales and it may turn out that all of you benefit well.

Or, depending on your circumstances, turn this into a family business. Judge by eye at first while you continue to research, and place several items a week on Ebay. Let the market judge the value.

I find it a bit spooky that the doors seem to be open for the Oct. 16 recon mission. Maybe they aren't. But, vultures are known to swarm over one bus, plain old unsavory characters. Imagine what this could be like. Be careful, beware, and turn you scam-dar on.

FYI-I am passing judgement on nobody here. But, we all know how this type of thing on much smaller scales can induce otherwise upstanding and good people to lose their skulls. I would hate to see Karl's legacy have the footnote saying that his daughter was taken for a ride and lost big.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruckman101 wrote:

It's a documentary worthy endeavor.

neal

This is so true. I hope that someone would take advantage of this opportunity. What a great way to document this stage of the ACVW experience. Keep in mind, we are in a stage of the evolution of ACVW's that is yet to be fully defined. Parts and vehicles are getting more rare and expensive and will only continue to do so. Document this, it will be worth something to someone someday.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, caught it, John, but was trying to be polite. Smile THANK YOU!

Speaking of which, I can't express how warming it is to see so many looking out for my best interest. I thought about posting on Craigslist, and a few other places, but quickly decided the best place for me is here. This community is like a family, and since so many of you knew my father, I'm getting a taste of it by extension. Thank you...I'm just wow'd once again.

Does anyone have any clue as to where THE hubcap is presently?? I was approached last year for permission to start a new one, and since I don't go to events, I don't know if it got off the ground. Who has it and where is it going next?

Liveonjg wrote:

That you should watch out for.

-John

Last edited by Karl on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoid the vultures--they are circling... Reply with quote

While that sounds great on the surface, I just don't have the help I need. If I had a better grasp of what parts were, like being able to identify them for make and model too, it would be promising. That aside, in order to keep a business like this going, one has to gather more inventory. I just do not wish for this to become a full time job. If I could still talk to Dad, I could do it...but I don't know anyone who had a mind like his. Heck, we would have been a great pair in a business endeavor like this one; while he had a genius IQ, I could have picked up the slack where social and diplomatic skills were lacking. Anyone who knew Dad should understand what I am saying here. LOL!

A couple of you have asked about the plans...I'm trying to roll with things and graciously accept the help as it comes.

First, I have someone coming out today to look, someone who Dad had befriended and has a history with.

Next, a few have volunteered to come out on the weekend of the 16th of October to help inventory and take pictures.

Then, another date will be scheduled for November.

There's a lot here and I can't see getting to all of it in one weekend. Attacking it in chunks will be best.

Jim Bear wrote:
What an incredible moment in VW Bus history!

Or, depending on your circumstances, turn this into a family business. Judge by eye at first while you continue to research, and place several items a week on Ebay. Let the market judge the value.

Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Good luck... Reply with quote

Good luck! Please post some images if you are ok with that. We would love to see some pics for VW voyeuristic purposes... Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: