Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bay Window hunting History
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
I'm looking forward to posting up some finds in this thread. Up till now, I have had to keep my bay finds to myself for fear of isolation and scolding from my split bus brethren. It's a comforting feeling to be able to explore my bay curiosity amongst friends.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Thats some funny Shiat there.
There are a bunch of Bays up here in the Northeast, most are rotted to death, unless they are brought in from the West, or are "Summer Only" Buses.

I only started this thread to help "stever70" post his sweet new find in the right forum after he posted it in the splitty side.
I don't hunt bay windows myself, but I'm telling you, if the bay window guys can keep this thread on topic, the sky is the limit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stever70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that there are several of you that dont want me to cut up this '68. Here is the deal. If I could have found a 70-74 Westy, I would have been ALL over it!!!! This one just fell in my lap. It was literally a deal I couldnt refuse. ITs not perfect, but yes restorable. The front floor boards are completely rotted away (BIG holes). The windshield trim had been leaking as well. Right rear wheel well was cut for some reason. Hasnt been registered since '02, so is not longer in the DMV system ( I will have to wrok that one out).There isno drive train of any kind in her. And the slidding door window is broken (thats the least of my problems Razz ). Other than that, she looks pretty solid. The frame underneith looks great. If someone has a pre '75, and they want to trade for this older one, anything is possible. If not, thats cool too. I will be selling the parts that I am removing (mainly front end and rear end). so if someone needs some old parts, let know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Freak182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mannys66 wrote:

I only started this thread to help "stever70" post his sweet new find in the right forum after he posted it in the splitty side.
I don't hunt bay windows myself, but I'm telling you, if the bay window guys can keep this thread on topic, the sky is the limit.
The split one is one of my favorite threads on the Samba. Ranks right up there with the Jersey looker, abortions, wtf, and anything by kombisutra. I just recently got into Buses, a long time Beetle guy but I've converted.

Next?

Supporters:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Viande
Decal restoration by bryanbrutherford
www.CooperTires.com
http://www.oeveedub.com/
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread just started, would it be OK to post some past hunting finds? I promise to post new finds as they arise.
ratherb-buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freak182 wrote:
mannys66 wrote:

The split one is one of my favorite threads on the Samba. Ranks right up there with the Jersey looker, abortions, wtf, and anything by kombisutra. I just recently got into Buses, a long time Beetle guy but I've converted.

Next?

I would agree 100%! I think this thread should be permanent in the bay forum!
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Since this thread just started, would it be OK to post some past hunting finds? I promise to post new finds as they arise.

Navin Johnson said: knock yourself out Corey! show'em how you do it!

actually that's a Mannys66 quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdub66gone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bay would count, but I tried to start a similar thread at the time and no one chimed in... Hmmmm

I don't care who knows anymore.
ratherb-buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdub66gone wrote:
My bay would count, but I tried to start a similar thread at the time and no one chimed in... Hmmmm

The first car was invented in 1769 and was steam-powered.... sometimes things take time to develop.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. it's been awhile but I figured I should post a bay hunting find. Here are a few old finds, then if I can figure out some of my confuzer BS, I will post a new one or two.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The last one shown was brought home and put back on the road. 86K mile bus in original paint with Indian red interior. A very nice bus. It's now in the UK.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one from today. Actually found awhile ago, but I may be bringing it home soon.

Not great, but it runs nice, has new LT tires, and comes with extra bumpers and some boxes of parts. It had a fiberglass high roof that he tore off, threw away, then pasted some sheet metal over the roof hole. Oh well. It's getting a Riviera top graft anyway.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 70 deluxe found today. It was almost dark, so the pics suck. Not bad, some rust, runs nice. Not sure if this one will follow me home or not.

Oddly enough, this bus has it's original middle seat, but no rear seat. Just a home made bed of sorts. First time I have seen that combo. It was also full of trash. That is something I have seen too many times. She said she would clean it out for me if I bought it. Nice gal.
ratherb-buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a beauty! That thing would look sick slammed!
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corey that white one with the red interior is sweet.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a very nice bus. With new ball joints, the steering was like a new bus. We put a few thousand miles on it between April and October last year. We enjoyed it, but being a carpenter in a down economy meant I had to sell some stuff to make sure I had money to get through the winter. Oh well. Come and go is how things work.
cr@M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the red bus. Let me know if you don't want that chrome trim on the sides Wink (assuming you get it)

"He who fights with monsters must see to it that he himself does not become a monster...
when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice finds. I'm looking at a 73 Westy with a 'Portch' motor Laughing Laughing Laughing . Rough on the outside but runs and should yield a few parts if the price is right. I know where there's another bay tucked in the corner of a yard, gonna check on ghat one before ground freezes

Supporters:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Viande
Decal restoration by bryanbrutherford
www.CooperTires.com
http://www.oeveedub.com/
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cr@M wrote:
I love the red bus. Let me know if you don't want that chrome trim on the sides Wink (assuming you get it)

Pretty sure it can be still be purchased at JC Whitney. Look in the bitchin' Camaro section. Wink
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stever70 wrote:
I wanted a body that was half way decent and has to be presmog ('75 or earlier). If someone want to save this one and has an early '70's. we could talk

I'd go with a late bay for the bigger trans (unless you really are building a monster) before I hacked that one. I have a 71 I'd trade you straight across if I was closer. Good luck.

Wildthings wrote:
If you are going to chop the sh*$ out of it at least start with a rig that is so far gone that it will never likely be driven again. History has shown that most of these half breed abortions live very short lives, so don't ruin a good restoration candidate to make one.

I SO agree with that.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevhum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up this 1971 camper today motor rebuilt less than 6000 miles on it new breaks less than 1000 miles on them A pile of work receipts of things done to it current registration stated right up drove it home sorry about the dark pics was losing daylight when I took them
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Nice score. Looks pretty decent. Plans?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 100

Jump to: