Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bay Window hunting History
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Jeeze, it's really not that bad, I've seen way worse get fixed. Kent gets it though. I don't think it will be that hard t get running as a driver bus that isn't perfect. The guy I got it from had it since the '80s.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Wow.... Tough crowd tonight.

This is ct's chance to try out some welding skills and learn more about buses. It is a $200 self-paced educational opportunity. So rather than telling him to crush it, I say learn all you can from it.

At least have fun with it while you're at it.
And if you get it running, that's a bonus.

We are clearly poking fun at our young friend. Wink

At the same time, I think we have an obligation to point out to anyone the scope of work and $ it would take to ever get that bus back to a reasonable state. Throwing any amount of $ at a crusty, salt corroded NE bus is an exercise in futility. I've lost count of how many threads I've seen on this site the past 15 years where someone bought a rusty VW. They were all enthusiastic to do all the extensive metal work. Most gave up shortly into the project.

Back to that bus. An experienced bodyman welder would look at that bus and say-

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
KentPS wrote:

This is ct's chance to try out some welding skills and learn more about buses. It is a $200 self-paced educational opportunity. So rather than telling him to crush it, I say learn all you can from it.

At the same time, I think we have an obligation to point out to anyone the scope of work and $ it would take to ever get that bus back to a reasonable state. Throwing any amount of $ at a crusty, salt corroded NE bus is an exercise in futility. I've lost count of how many threads I've seen on this site the past 15 years where someone bought a rusty VW. They were all enthusiastic to do all the extensive metal work. Most gave up shortly into the project.

And you're right about every point. I doubt, though, that ct has the funds to pour thousands into this one, so it will be a learning platform towards getting his next one. And possibly he will be able to part it out to help fund a not-so-crusty one. Or he may surprise the hell out of us and get this on one the road.

Now get out there and get it on the road, ct! Prove me right! Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
KentPS wrote:

And you're right about every point. I doubt, though, that ct has the funds to pour thousands into this one, so it will be a learning platform towards getting his next one. And possibly he will be able to part it out to help fund a not-so-crusty one. Or he may surprise the hell out of us and get this on one the road.

Now get out there and get it on the road, ct! Prove me right! Laughing

Yeah this is not going to be a perfect bus in any way. I think that I'm gonna get it running, clean it up, and fix some rust then sell it to fund one that isn't so bad. If I've learned anything from you guys, it's that I need to get a bus that doesn't need a ton of rust work. It's a '71 so when I sell it, it shouldn't be too hard as long as I'm not crazy in pricing it.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Hello,
Well, the kid does have balls.... or, is just thick as a brick..
I hope you are up on your tetanus shoots, seriously.
OK, I'll give the bus the benefit of doubt.... but I would like to see some pictures of the under side.
There comes a point were a item is worth more in parts, than, it is as a whole. That will be something that you will have to decide for yourself.
But, no amount of money is worth your safety or the next buyers, if you go that route. Yet, that is just me....
CT, keep up the VW dream, the right one will come your way.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

67CT, do yourself a favor my friend and post more pictures of this bus. Inside it, the floors, under it, pictures of the suspension, the front beam, etc..

Let us look at your pictures before you spend any $ on it. You may get a better ROI stripping and selling the usable parts off this terminal cancer victim than throwing $ at it and HOPING someone is stupid enough to buy it from you.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
67CT, do yourself a favor my friend and post more pictures of this bus. Inside it, the floors, under it, pictures of the suspension, the front beam, etc..

Let us look at your pictures before you spend any $ on it. You may get a better ROI stripping and selling the usable parts off this terminal cancer victim than throwing $ at it and HOPING someone is stupid enough to buy it from you.
Will do, but I’m sick right now. I’ll get out there tonight when I’m hopefully feeling better.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Alright thread is up.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Patina monster! Seriously, you did well. Looks like some of the interior is there. I'd buy it at that price especially if it's got title and trans. Clean it up and see what you've got.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

No title, but he said it might be in the glove box, which is full of acorns.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Hey there Loafers.

Here are some Bay Hunting pictures when I stopped for gas as my wife's poor Subi was getting thirsty. SubiDoo worked so hard being kidnapped to pull her long lost boxer ancestor home from the remote Pennsylvania hills hours away. What a way to break in a CV Transmission eh? OMG (sincerely) she was dragging low and the little 1 and 1/4 receiver hitch was straining mighty hard. But, we got home safe and sound. Smile

I'll start a thread but right now I'm too tired and going to bed.

$800. Rotten under all the edges. Obligatory street signs floor repair kit. Auto trans. Interior is, um, as expected. But... she's complete, and seems unmolested apart from the aircleaner. (Rear unusable bumper is thrown inside before hanging the slider and kicking it into place for the trip)
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

^ did you lie to U-Haul about what you would be pulling their trailer with? That poor subie!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
^ did you lie to U-Haul about what you would be pulling their trailer with? That poor subie!

I wondered that, too. What is the hauling capacity rating for the Soob?
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Hello.
Some people have more balls than brains...
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Hello.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Yeah, UHaul wasn't blessing this set up and I'll just leave it at that. Kids - don't try this at home. I do, however, have the Bay. Twisted Evil
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Angus II wrote:
Hello.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Yeah, UHaul wasn't blessing this set up and I'll just leave it at that. Kids - don't try this at home. I do, however, have the Bay. Twisted Evil

I moved my bus with my 4runner and had the same problem. I just told them I was pulling a bug. Wink

My 1968 Campmobile
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Found this beat up 71 today. Needs some work. Not sure what the plans are for it. It was going to be "cut up". Evil or Very Mad

Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Probably be what I'do,be the best thing for it. It could be saved. It wouldn't be cheap.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
Found this beat up 71 today. Needs some work. Not sure what the plans are for it.

I'm feeling better already about my rekt bus a few posts up! Lol Very Happy

Save it friend. Save them all. Cool When I was a kid all my Bays (and I had a few) looked like these piles we're hunting down. Only difference is that back then they were still worth less than a spare tire when I got them bumbling down the road again. Nowadays at least it looks like they'll hold their weight in the parts cost. WTF with this bus market? Don't people still use these to haul around their dirt bikes and stuff?

orangebug60guy wrote:
66 bus with factory slider! - $50

My first bus was a 66 splitty I got for $50. Sold it a few years later for probably $250 and thought it to be a laugh of a good deal on both ends. Ahhh, those were the days. Drive 'em, drive 'em drive 'em. Save them all and drive 'em some more - at least in the summertime. Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Good score Jack !! How did you come to find it ??

I have to see more pics of that ^^^ cab divieder ??
Oh yea, it was the fuel pump rod, not the fuel pump on the '66...... Evil or Very Mad

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 85 of 100

Jump to: