Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bay Window hunting History
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
craigman wrote:
Has anyone seen any bays for cheap in the Northern California area? I'm looking for a project.

Aren't those two words: California & cheap, mutually exclusive ? Laughing

Oh no, there are plenty of cheap Californians. Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jrasi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

'75 1600, nine seater. Has been waiting for restoration from 1998, so I hope there is only rust and minimal amount of bondo fixes and steel-on-rust-welds by previous owners.

I saw this first time couple of years ago, standing in the bushes and that time I heard that owner was going to restore it.

This spring, I was fetching my boat from winter store, bus was in her hibernation on same lot. I asked the owner "What you are gonna do with that bus?" and he replied "I thing I have to sell it, I have so many ongoing projects and it's not a split bus, so I don't have too much motivation to it".

Then he told me the price, I took some phtotos of the bus and sent them to my gf, reply came "Is Minttu (finnish girls name and word for mint) moving to our place?". Couple of days later we went to see bus better and bought it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yesterday was the day, when I finally had time to get the bus. And boy it was a struggle. It had sunken about 10 inches in ground, brakes where sticking and when we got it moving, by towing it with my dad's 4x4, we spotted that it is kind a hard to get on trailer, because right front wheel was turned to right about 45 degrees while left was straight forward. It seemed that someone had towed the bus from tie rod, which was bent like a banana, so I got on my back and used ratchet puller to straighten the rod so we could steer the bloody thing.

Now it sits in our yard and waits that I get garage cleaned and project started.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Ha! Minttu. As soon as you read that - Yeah! Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

As found. Took more than a little truck power to get it out of that hole.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

^love that patina
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

This was a few weeks ago, but I'm just getting around to posting it now. I had been watching this '78 sitting at my brother's neighbour's for the last 3 years. The guy travelled a lot so I was never able to catch him home. I got my brother to ask him if he would be interested in selling it, but he wasn't at the time. My brother moved and I never really gave it any more thought.

Fast forward 3 years, I get a forwarded message from my brother. "Tell your brother to come get the van. $XXX. He'll have to wait for the street to get finished before he can come get it." He was getting his driveway paved and just wanted it gone.
So, a month later, I finally landed it home.

1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Nice! Congrats!

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Hunting the back roads of Vermont:

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Hunting the back roads of Vermont:

Good eyes, crukab!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

After waiting the owners out for 3 years, I finally brought home another Bay, a '75 Westy. Extraction was a pain, but worth the hassle. A PO put on a carb & did some other work to it, it is missing the cabinet behind the driver's seat, it has some rust but not at all bad by East coast standards. Last on the road in 1997...

My Pops:
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

I saw this Bay come up on Craigslist so I went and laid eyes on it.

It is OG paint. Shocked Very Happy

So I brought her home.

I felt that she needed my protection, because someone stuck a Nissan truck motor in her bottom. Shocked

That will be rectified.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Let me know the details of the bits. Trans adapter and flywheel, starter, etc.
Might make a sensible conversion to me.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Maybe she likes Nissan stuck in her bottom? Think Anxious Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

I got a tip a few weeks ago from a local VW guy. His buddy had three busses he wanted to sell as a package deal. These were near Dolores, Colorado, about 80 miles from me. All of them were in somewhat plain sight along the highway. Like a fool I bit and the seller loaned me his trailer and we made lap after lap.

The first one is a 73. Rough but has engine and trans and allegedly "ran when parked". Last tag on plate is 2000... I don't plan to keep this one but I'm tempted to try to get it to run and maybe cannibalize it for the others.

The drive home near Hovenweep Nat'l Monument on the Navajo Nation.

Next lap my 12 year old son and I got a 69. Also rough with aftermarket stove pipe and skylight options. Original Delta Green paint and engine/trans. Vandals shot 3/4 of the glass at some point. I don't plan to keep this one either.

Near Yellow Jacket, Colorado. Bean crops are king.

Bus #3 is the family favorite. Original Reef Blue paint with a non walk through bench front seat. We pulled it through the mud to dry ground to deal with an incorrect and bound up rim. I love the patina. We may keep this one. Front and back glass also shot by vandals, little rust. No engine/trans. My son can't wait to buff the paint on this one! Any tips?

Ismay Trading Post on the drive home.

Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

moved this from Spotted Bays on the Way to Bay Window Hunting, as ive been actively trying to chase down ownership and availibility.

havent gotten access to look yet, but have been offered to do so in the short future. so another drive by the fence the other day and then…..wait….what is that?

another one 2 trucks over.

holy shit… later bay.

well now this is getting fun. low light and high light nicely stored under cover. now I really want to go look.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
cajun_sun_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

3 Bays from one find, been passing the green 79 westy for several years and always wanted to stop bye but honestly, residence look like meth lab candidates, very sketchy. Evil or Very Mad One day wife's see some progress and she gets brave and ask the guy if he might want to sell the 79 westy, he says yeah but we have two more behind the house Shocked , he offered a price, I countered and he accepted. Cool A week later we drug them out of the woods behind the residence with my SIL's $80 kubota skid steer Very Happy 2 green bays are 79's, white bay is 76

#cajunhotrodder on insta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Good score, 3 in 1 deal !! But did they have any Meth ?? Laughing Laughing

My Pops:

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

finally got access to look at these two today. both in rough shape unfortunately.

This one is a 71 with an AE motor in it. Its very crusty bodywise and alot of parts have been pilfered off it. Not even worth an offer on this one.

This 78 had a dash fire. Fire was so bad it damaged the front face and the dash and instrument panel areas are toasted. headliner is burnt back to the back seats as well. The body is so so and the frame from what i could see is good. It has a GE FI engine still in it. Id like to thin k the motor may have value in the fact that the fire up front is clearly what parked it. still holding oil and all the og fi parts are still installed. right down to the og heater blower tubes.

made a lowball offer on the 78 and said I would “help them” by taking both if they needed me to. who knows. ive got enough junk piled up here already, but could always use parts.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

apparently this one is made of gold for that price. I don't consider '71 desirable. Nothing wrong with a '71 but wow.
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/waxhaw-71-vw-bus-campmobile/7467411646.html
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

mfemenel wrote:
apparently this one is made of gold for that price. I don't consider '71 desirable. Nothing wrong with a '71 but wow.
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/waxhaw-71-vw-bus-campmobile/7467411646.html

didnt you read where its a “German version” ?
well, then, that explains everything.

Nein!

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 96 of 100

Jump to: