Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bay Window hunting History
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

mfemenel wrote:
apparently this one is made of gold for that price. I don't consider '71 desirable. Nothing wrong with a '71 but wow.
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/waxhaw-71-vw-bus-campmobile/7467411646.html

Belongs in the whines thread.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Hello, ^^^^
Someone, in NC is very proud of their bus...
The ads is playing on the dreamers. Most likely, lipstick on a pig with the newer paint job. But, the wheelwells look nice and the heater tubes aren't dripping wet with oil...I must, say.
BorisGrishenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

mfemenel wrote:
apparently this one is made of gold for that price. I don't consider '71 desirable. Nothing wrong with a '71 but wow.
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/waxhaw-71-vw-bus-campmobile/7467411646.html

I like the part where it's not even the right roof and a lot of the pictures are completely random other screenshots
2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI - sold
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI -Dieselgate victim
2016 Golf 1.8
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Once again...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=318096&start=9660
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
mfemenel wrote:

didnt you read where its a “German version” ?
well, then, that explains everything.

Nein!

That one is a puzzle. started with a 1971 red Kombi, model 23, yet it has a ASI Riviera poptop on it. Inside does not look like Riviera stuff. Not sure the full width Z-bed? Perhaps the asking price is about 4 times the actual value.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
finally got access to look at these two today. both in rough shape unfortunately.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This one is a 71 with an AE motor in it. Its very crusty bodywise and alot of parts have been pilfered off it. Not even worth an offer on this one.

This 78 had a dash fire. Fire was so bad it damaged the front face and the dash and instrument panel areas are toasted. headliner is burnt back to the back seats as well. The body is so so and the frame from what i could see is good. It has a GE FI engine still in it. Id like to thin k the motor may have value in the fact that the fire up front is clearly what parked it. still holding oil and all the og fi parts are still installed. right down to the og heater blower tubes.

made a lowball offer on the 78 and said I would “help them” by taking both if they needed me to. who knows. ive got enough junk piled up here already, but could always use parts.

these two are GONE! and not to me. went by yesterday on my way home from the airport and found both busses and the trailers they were stored in gone. turns out that although these had been sitting in the trailers for years, my interest in them sparked someone elses interest that works at the company where they were sitting.

apparently he made a better offer on them then mine. I only offered $500 for the ‘78 and initially wasnt even interested in the ‘71. I changed my mind and offered $500 each just for the parts.

funny how they are junk and no one cares about them…until someone cares about them, then they are like gold. oh well, dont need more junk at my place anyways. i bet they or the parts start popping up on craigslist in the next few weeks/months.

its more about the hunt then the kill for me. i only offer what they are worth to me, not what the seller thinks theyre worth. $400 for Crusher was appropriate at the time. Im up to about $5000 already and hundreds of hours of labor and its not even painted yet.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:

these two are GONE!

Looks to me like someone else saved you from a ton of work and time.
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

It didn't happen 'Today', but...

I sold my Bus (the first vehicle I owned), back in 2002; after owning it for 6 years, living in it for almost a year to save money to buy my first house, and traveling all over in it.

This is what it looked like in 1998:

I saw it for sale on Craigslist about ten or eleven years ago, but wasn't interested at the time, even though it was about 2 miles from my home. I met the new owner back in 2013, when we happened to be driving down the same road. I chased him down to introduce myself.

My old Squareback, next to "his" Bus:

Last Friday, I got a call from him. He didn't really remember me, and I didn't know which 'Chris' was calling me. He said he's calling all his VW contacts, and asked if I'd be interested in buying his Bus.

"Maybe, tell me a bit about it..."

As he started to describe it, I realized who he is, and that he's selling my Bus. I thought about it for a couple hours, then called him back to arrange to come see it Saturday. I still wasn't set on buying it, until I saw it's still fairly solid, more-or-less complete, and hasn't had any stupid wiring or other hack jobs done to it over the years. I paid his asking price, and it's mine again. Very Happy

Weird thing - my little brother lives near him, and has told me a few times about a Bus he bikes past on his way up to the park. He didn't know it was the same one I'd had years ago, and I hadn't really considered the possibility that it could be, when he told me about it...
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

^^^^^^^
FUCK yeah brother!!!you got your bus back!!

thats the best thing ive read on here in a while. Cheers! im buying drinks should we ever cross paths.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
BorisGrishenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
It didn't happen 'Today', but...

I sold my Bus (the first vehicle I owned), back in 2002; after owning it for 6 years, living in it for almost a year to save money to buy my first house, and traveling all over in it.

This is what it looked like in 1998:

I saw it for sale on Craigslist about ten or eleven years ago, but wasn't interested at the time, even though it was about 2 miles from my home. I met the new owner back in 2013, when we happened to be driving down the same road. I chased him down to introduce myself.

My old Squareback, next to "his" Bus:

Last Friday, I got a call from him. He didn't really remember me, and I didn't know which 'Chris' was calling me. He said he's calling all his VW contacts, and asked if I'd be interested in buying his Bus.

"Maybe, tell me a bit about it..."

As he started to describe it, I realized who he is, and that he's selling my Bus. I thought about it for a couple hours, then called him back to arrange to come see it Saturday. I still wasn't set on buying it, until I saw it's still fairly solid, more-or-less complete, and hasn't had any stupid wiring or other hack jobs done to it over the years. I paid his asking price, and it's mine again. Very Happy

Weird thing - my little brother lives near him, and has told me a few times about a Bus he bikes past on his way up to the park. He didn't know it was the same one I'd had years ago, and I hadn't really considered the possibility that it could be, when he told me about it...

This is a great Eastertime story
2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI - sold
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI -Dieselgate victim
2016 Golf 1.8
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Awesome!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Jetfxr69 wrote:
finally got access to look at these two today. both in rough shape unfortunately.

This one is a 71 with an AE motor in it. Its very crusty bodywise and alot of parts have been pilfered off it. Not even worth an offer on this one.

This 78 had a dash fire. Fire was so bad it damaged the front face and the dash and instrument panel areas are toasted. headliner is burnt back to the back seats as well. The body is so so and the frame from what i could see is good. It has a GE FI engine still in it. Id like to thin k the motor may have value in the fact that the fire up front is clearly what parked it. still holding oil and all the og fi parts are still installed. right down to the og heater blower tubes.

made a lowball offer on the 78 and said I would “help them” by taking both if they needed me to. who knows. ive got enough junk piled up here already, but could always use parts.

these two are GONE! and not to me. went by yesterday on my way home from the airport and found both busses and the trailers they were stored in gone. turns out that although these had been sitting in the trailers for years, my interest in them sparked someone elses interest that works at the company where they were sitting.

apparently he made a better offer on them then mine. I only offered $500 for the ‘78 and initially wasnt even interested in the ‘71. I changed my mind and offered $500 each just for the parts.

funny how they are junk and no one cares about them…until someone cares about them, then they are like gold. oh well, dont need more junk at my place anyways. i bet they or the parts start popping up on craigslist in the next few weeks/months.

its more about the hunt then the kill for me. i only offer what they are worth to me, not what the seller thinks theyre worth. $400 for Crusher was appropriate at the time. Im up to about $5000 already and hundreds of hours of labor and its not even painted yet.

Yep, I'd say you made a good decision to go low on your offer, many times the seller has illusions of their Bus being of GREAT value, reality strikes when no one wants it for less than half the Asking price. It seems like BJ auctions and high Facebook prices bring out the dreamers....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
ATP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
I paid his asking price, and it's mine again. Very Happy

Congrats! That's a hell of a feeling. I had this happen with a bass I'd sold to pay rent at one point. Ended up finding it years later for sale locally. Wife said "wouldn't it be funny if it's the same one", looked back on old pics I'd used to list it for sale, and yep, same serial and everything.

Some things are meant to be!
lonewolfone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

My new 75 riviera dug out of a guy's property today

65 sundial "trailer special"
75 riviera "red rocket "
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

lonewolfone wrote:

Another Rivy saved! Good job!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

lonewolfone wrote:

Rivieras are pretty neat. Interior fabrics are low quailty, but that gives you a chance to be creative.
Considering you are in arid country, always protect against hantavirus dust when cleaning it out.
From packrat droppings. It can kill you.
Learn about it-basically handle like asbestos or any other dust poison.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
lonewolfone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Thanks, this isn't my first nasty vehicle to rescue.

Sadly the cabinets are missing but I'm planning on putting in late westy stuff as it is by far the best setup made.

65 sundial "trailer special"
75 riviera "red rocket "
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

well, as I said, this one that disappeared as soon as I showed interest, has now re-appeared here for sale. minus the engine and other parts.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2556118

this is how i found it.

the seller has just joined The Samba for this posting.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Bad Hippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Not exactly from today. More like a few days ago. I've been working on getting this one for a while.

A super original and complete, Sage Green and Pastel White, 1976 Standard.

Finally delivered a few days ago.

Complete Canyon brown interior.

After the initial cleaning.

I'm not exactly new to old VWs, but this is my first Baywindow. So I'm gonna start a thread for it where I can ask all my stupid questions in one place.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Bad Hippie wrote:
Not exactly from today. More like a few days ago. I've been working on getting this one for a while.

A super original and complete, Sage Green and Pastel White, 1976 Standard.

Finally delivered a few days ago.

Complete Canyon brown interior.

After the initial cleaning.

I'm not exactly new to old VWs, but this is my first Baywindow. So I'm gonna start a thread for it where I can ask all my stupid questions in one place.

nice score! looks to be in great shape. whered you find that one? i want to know about the squareback hiding behind it.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 97 of 100

Jump to: