Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 westy stopped running randomly
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iknowurider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject: 78 westy stopped running randomly Reply with quote

(New here)
I recently got my hands on a manual 1978 westfalia, stoked on it.
no minor issues for around 2 months, only 62k~ miles on it and it ran beautifully.
I say ran because a few days ago i had driven a bit to do work on a friends car, i come back and start it just for it to not roll over.
starter was recently replaced and the only thing that happens is a roll over, a slight change in tone, but no roll over.
it was running great on the drive over with only minor issues with it getting too cold out (per usual)
bump starts wouldn’t work, tapping ignition and popping the clutch in wouldn’t work, thought it was the battery because the driver/passenger light stopped turning on and the sink light.
in need of any advice or help, had to leave it at my friends for a few days and going over today, thinking the issue is either spark plugs, fuel injectors, or possibly alternator.
going to troubleshoot all day,
anyone who knows or has ran into this please help
Sad
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 78 westy stopped running randomly Reply with quote

Could be worn out ignition switch contacts.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 westy stopped running randomly Reply with quote

loose or corroded (dark grey) battery clamps.
remove them, clean with a wire battery brush, apply a battery contact sealer (or not)
and give it another go.

did you leave the lights on, the interior light(s) on or IGN on
what is the voltage at the battery?

check the condition of the ground cable contacting surfaces. ie. remove the cable at each end and clean it and reseat it. one is underneath by the nose of the transaxle.

sometimes the mating surfaces of the starter age and don't transfer enough voltage (cause resistance). either remove the starter and clean the mating surfaces with a light sanding or add an additional Ground cable from the lower starter bolt to the chassis and/or directly to the battery..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ev_vw_dreams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 westy stopped running randomly Reply with quote

Looks like you're local to me (+/- 20 minutes). I have a 79 and ran into the same issue. Mine was the ignition switch. If you don't have the time to wait for shipping I have a spare you can grab today/tomorrow and then replace when you get one.
iknowurider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 westy stopped running randomly Reply with quote

hey, thank you all for the responses.
issue was the fuel to air ratio, it’s been rainy and freezing outside (55 degrees lol)
i had to get into the ecu area and adjust the richness of fuel (via the gear pins) about 6-7 clicks and now it runs not only smoother, but quieter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: