Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

MontrealAircooledNut wrote:
A nice looking 411 wagon on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Volkswagen-411-WAGON-...mp;vxp=mtr

Its hard to really fault this car. Its been up for sale before. I don't really say the price is too high.....glad the values are inching up. They have done a lot of work.

But....suspension would be unrestored likely....converted to a carb?...or carbs? Not great.

Also...It looks to have been wrecked at least in a minor part in the front end. The hood fits incorrectly...and they have pulled out the stock trunk liner (no small feat)....and replaced with some kind of ugly overlay...except if you look closely on the passenger side trunk inside ...you have black paint or covering forward of the middle of the fender well. Looks like a front clip replacement at least on the right hand side. Not saying its been done poorly....just that it does not jive with what the owners says.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

Nice looking 1973 412 wagon on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Volkswagen-412-DELUXE...mp;vxp=mtr

In some ways this one looks better than the silver one. Still fuel injected....but...must have some serious rust. The battery has been moved to the trunk...not good.

Also...both this car and the silver one have been "undercoated"....also not good. That usually covers up pan rust. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MontrealAircooledNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

Hey Ray, you really scrutinized and analyzed these pictures. I looked at them really quickly. I agree with you. Undercoating looks suspicious to me. I didn't notice that the battery was moved in the trunk , in the 412. I wonder why would someone want to do that and I wonder if it is even safe.It seems to me like a very unsound idea to have a battery near a 10 gallon gas tank.
Squareback 1973
412 wagon 1974
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

I think the Porsches did it for better weight distribution.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I think the Porsches did it for better weight distribution.

Oh for sure on the Porsche!

As it is...if you have a tuned out 411 or 412 sedan....and drive it hard..e.specially with a four speed...on curves and sweepers....you will find that it has a fair amount of the "911 effect". The rear momentum can make the rear end want to pass the front. It takes some feathering on the gas....and keeping it in 3rd at high rpms to keep the wheels engaged.

Weight wise it would be nice to have the battery in the trunk....but I would put it in the center if I could. Ray
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

I posted this on another thread a couple of weeks ago, but should have posted it here:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/6141538415.html

Needs some sanding of the surface rust and restoration of the FI system, but otherwise looks like a solid car.

I'm really tempted..........
MontrealAircooledNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

That one cropped up on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Volkswagen-Squareback...mp;vxp=mtr
Squareback 1973
412 wagon 1974
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

That one cropped up on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Volkswagen-Squareback...mp;vxp=mtr

Thats actually not a bad deal. Its complete...the rear suspension rust ...for the moment is largely surface rust.

It has the requisite right front fender seam rust and will have some underneath. The underneath rust will not be difficult to weld. It well take real skill to save the right and left front fenders but a decent shop can fix them for fairly cheap or just find clean ones in the junkyard.
Outside of harness and a fuel pump and a couple of sensors there is likely not much wrong with the injection.......lots of rubber boots and items to replace but at $1600 in crrent state of completeness and no real body damage and an engine that turns over that can be made to run.....$1600 is a pretty good price for this car.

And...a complete interior. If I had the money I would buy it. The rust is fixable at this point.

By the way ..there are good tires available. Just switch it to aftermarket "chromies" or painted steel 5.5" rims and you can buy 195-65-15's and some 205-60-15's that are superb and handle MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the stock size. Ray
MontrealAircooledNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

Here s a nice looking 411 wagon in Prince Edward Island

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/summerside-pe...nFlag=true
Squareback 1973
412 wagon 1974
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

Here s a nice looking 411 wagon in Prince Edward Island

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/summerside-pe...nFlag=true

Great lookong car!. I seem to think I have seen that one here before.....like it might have been one of Bill k's cars?
Thank you for the link!
Ray
Guam411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

New to this......

1971 411, in Guam....I need an ECU......any advice?

Car seems to bee running fine, drove it around transmission smooth, decent HP, but then all of a sudden it died when close to idle.

A few times 0 turn over, let it sit turns over......runs good then again towards idle dies out.

if I turn over don't drive at idle stays on.......

VW mech says ECU, he's pretty reliable........what do you all think?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

Guam411 wrote:
New to this......

1971 411, in Guam....I need an ECU......any advice?

Car seems to bee running fine, drove it around transmission smooth, decent HP, but then all of a sudden it died when close to idle.

A few times 0 turn over, let it sit turns over......runs good then again towards idle dies out.

if I turn over don't drive at idle stays on.......

VW mech says ECU, he's pretty reliable........what do you all think?

You are posting in an area where no one will see your post for technical information.

No.....there is a 95% chance your mechanic is incorrect. Unless the ECU got wet or struck by lightning.....the chances of ECU failure are EXCEEDINGLY rare.

Make a thread......and tell us the system condition and what and how the components have been tested.

There is a specific chain of testing that must be done with D-jet.....in order....and no skipping items.

We can help.....but not in this part of the forum.

If it runs and starts at all.....even if it stalls.....there is just about 100% chance.....that it,is NOT the ECU. Ray
MontrealAircooledNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

Type IV for sale

http://www.rvt.com/Volkswagen-412-Coupe-BARGAIN-CO...paign=claz

http://phoenix.backpage.com/AutosForSale/500-volkswagen-411-w-1800-pancake/59257862
Squareback 1973
412 wagon 1974
pbnjimages
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

Good looking 74 variant, would like this one myself

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/volkswagon-vw-bus-bug/6313088461.html
wiscokid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

Sorry for not having a picture, my buddy sent me a text and I'm not sure yet how to go about uploading it from my messages but here goes. He found a vw honey hole near me and in one of the pics there is a 411 Le wagon. I'm interested in the buses there and I'm going to take a better look tomorrow and see what condition some of the vehicles are in. Anybody interested? I can take whatever pics wanted while I'm there, I'm not interested in the car, just the buses, but I hate to see any VW just sit and rot if there could be a home for it.
Edit: figured out the pic.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wiscokid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

It's been snow and bad weather since I posted, and I plow for side money in the winter so I have not made it out there to take more pics. It's going to be below freezing for at least a week straight and the wind chill this morning was -10. When the temp hits a more reasonable number I'll be out there and I will post up what I find.
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/bar/d/1974-volkswagon-412-squareback/6484933611.html

https://prescott.craigslist.org/cto/d/1973-volkswagen-411/6492738593.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MontrealAircooledNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Volkswagen-412/16289...mp;vxp=mtr
Squareback 1973
412 wagon 1974
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

big bus mike wrote:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/bar/d/1974-volkswagon-412-squareback/6484933611.html

https://prescott.craigslist.org/cto/d/1973-volkswagen-411/6492738593.html

Do not think we re not looking and listening! Thank you for posting what you find. These two are a bit sad...but very little bit helps! Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Volkswagen-412/16289...mp;vxp=mtr

Thank you for posting this!

It looks to be in very nice shape save for a few things.

1. It is not a 1975....unless it is from somewhere other than the US market. It has the earlier steel bumpers. US spec 1974 and on to the very few actual 1975's made...had aluminum 5mph crash bumpers with telescopic shocks

2. The Vin #....either is really odd and for another market or is incorrect. I would suspect that it is not a 463 prefix...but rather a distorted 413 prefix which would make it a 1973 412...which is what it appears to be.

3. No US spec 411 or 412 EVER came with twin carbs. I have seen a very few that came from Canada or England that had twin carbs....again perhaps that is reflected in the vin # difference

4. At least they are furnishing the twin carb system and boxes of parts.

5. I noted that some pictures it had steel wheels and some aftermarket. He noted it now has the original steel wheel and new tires.

6. The interior seems decent. The carpets are new and not original.

7. It notes sunroof. I cannot tell if its factory or an aftermarket moon roof. If its aftermarket....that is bad for structure on this car and would take a chunk off the price in my opinion.

I think $15,000 is a bit optimistic....but....I hope he gets at least $10,000 from someone who really wants one of these cars.

Its about time the prices start going up. Better value will perhaps be the only way we can keep people from scrapping these cars so quickly.
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: