Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Pelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
MontrealAircooledNut wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Volkswagen-412/16289...mp;vxp=mtr

2. The Vin #....either is really odd and for another market or is incorrect. I would suspect that it is not a 463 prefix...but rather a distorted 413 prefix which would make it a 1973 412...which is what it appears to be.

The VIN should start with 46 for a Wagon (or Variant as they are called here in Europe). 463 makes it a 73.
It´s the same for Type 3. Squarebacks have VINS that starts with 36, Fastbacks starts with 31.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

Pelle wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
MontrealAircooledNut wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Volkswagen-412/16289...mp;vxp=mtr

2. The Vin #....either is really odd and for another market or is incorrect. I would suspect that it is not a 463 prefix...but rather a distorted 413 prefix which would make it a 1973 412...which is what it appears to be.

The VIN should start with 46 for a Wagon (or Variant as they are called here in Europe). 463 makes it a 73.
It´s the same for Type 3. Squarebacks have VINS that starts with 36, Fastbacks starts with 31.

Laughing ...and you know what...I knew that!...it was right in front of me in the parts book and I missed it!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes....the type 46 is "wagon". I must be getting old. Thanks for correcting me! But I KNEW it was a 1973.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MontrealAircooledNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/brandon/1972-...nFlag=true
Squareback 1973
412 wagon 1974
MontrealAircooledNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

On Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Volkswagen-Squarebac...mp;vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Volkswagen-Beetle-Cl...mp;vxp=mtr
Squareback 1973
412 wagon 1974
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

I have a guy 3 hours away with an all original autostick 1971 411 in what looks like Clementine or Iberian Red.
All original paint, original interior, can get it running but dies on with the original fuel injection. He's asking a $1000.
This is the 4-door model, the aesthetics are cool, I'd like to perhaps change the wheels up a bit and make it appear sportier. I love the dash cluster in these cars, what makes people love their 411/412's?
I DO NOT see them around here, but they also don't have much of a following in my neck of the woods.
Thoughts?

Have been told it has NO RUST, Oklahoma car.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
I have a guy 3 hours away with an all original autostick 1971 411 in what looks like Clementine or Iberian Red.
All original paint, original interior, can get it running but dies on with the original fuel injection. He's asking a $1000.
This is the 4-door model, the aesthetics are cool, I'd like to perhaps change the wheels up a bit and make it appear sportier. I love the dash cluster in these cars, what makes people love their 411/412's?
I DO NOT see them around here, but they also don't have much of a following in my neck of the woods.
Thoughts?

Have been told it has NO RUST, Oklahoma car.

Cool! A 1971 is,a little unique in a few ways. First year of them here.

Because of sitting still.....its going to have vacuum leak and fuel issues that will just screw things up trying to make it run as is. Clean out the tank, new fuel lines...probahly a,new pump.....new regulator for sure.....fix the vacuum leaks....and I bet it,will run well.

But....after sitting still it will have lots of little issues. It will need at minimum the two new seals between the sections of the gearbox....easy and cheap....or yoh risk destroyong the transmission.

By the way...its a full automatic and not an "auto stick".....totally diffettent systems. And....it will have some rust in specific spots. I can see some of it,already.

All in all.....if its complete.....its a pretty good deal for $1,000.

Do what needs to be done before trying to drive it far....and you will have a good time with it. Its going to need a full front suspension rebuild....but thats not really expensive.

Welcome to the type 4 world! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

Where can I see this car? I live in Okla., and would like to see it. Bob
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

To continue my previous post: We could perhaps meet there, and I can give you some pointers. I'm not the expert Ray is, but I own one just like this one. A 71 sedan, and I'm the original owner. This web site, and especially Ray has been a big help to me. One thing for sure follow Ray's instructions before getting it out on the road. Hope to hear from you. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

You should take Bob (titan3c).....up on his offer. He knows plenty about 411!

Ray
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
To continue my previous post: We could perhaps meet there, and I can give you some pointers. I'm not the expert Ray is, but I own one just like this one. A 71 sedan, and I'm the original owner. This web site, and especially Ray has been a big help to me. One thing for sure follow Ray's instructions before getting it out on the road. Hope to hear from you. Bob

Thank you gentlemen, Bob check your email, I shot message back to you, I would greatly appreciate your input.
-Sam

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wiscokid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

https://lacrosse.craigslist.org/cto/d/1973-volkswagen-412-estate/6674231248.html[/url]
wiscokid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

Hmm.. link does not work when I try it, but ad is still up. La Crosse Wi.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

Ok, Sambo contacted me with location of this car, and it is only about thirty miles from me. I plan to go over there today, or tomorrow and check it out. I may pull my battery, and take it with me just in case it may be worth trying to start, and doesn't have a strong battery. It's possible I may have seen this car, but I was told it had been sold. If it's the same car, it is equipped with ac unit. Question Ray: In your comments you mentioned it may need a regulator-----did you mean voltage or fuel pressure? Probably could use both.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Ok, Sambo contacted me with location of this car, and it is only about thirty miles from me. I plan to go over there today, or tomorrow and check it out. I may pull my battery, and take it with me just in case it may be worth trying to start, and doesn't have a strong battery. It's possible I may have seen this car, but I was told it had been sold. If it's the same car, it is equipped with ac unit. Question Ray: In your comments you mentioned it may need a regulator-----did you mean voltage or fuel pressure? Probably could use both.

Bob, I do know this car in fact does have AC.

titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

Yep I've seen this car posted before, and I inquired about it, and was told a man in Wichita bought it. The ac is a bonus----hardly any of these cars had air conditioning. I'll probably get over there this afternoon. I haven't contacted them yet but will right after lunch. In my opinion in order to attempt to start the engine(if I think it's safe) it must have a strong battery, and around 5 gallons of high octane gasoline in the tank. And if it runs, check the fuel pressure. If there are no leaks and the pressure is up to around 28 then it can be run for shop and yard moving, but not on the road yet.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

Of course it has to have oil too.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

Typically fuel iniected cars that have sat for a while need a new fuel pressure regulator. Its doesnot mean that it may not start....it may have issues starting if fuel pressure bleeds off quickly. You may have to bump the key several times to build pressure. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

Well I looked at the car, and it was a big disappointment. It's not in any condition to attempt to start the engine. The engine compartment is in a mess, and not all parts are there. The only good thing about the car is the body and glass are in good condition. But all the rubber around the glass is dried and cracked big time. The inside is trash. I couldn't inspect the bottom of the car so I can't comment on the condition of rust or other conditions from that angle. The body otherwise had very little signs of rust. It would be an excellent car to strip down to the body, remove the glass, store, and take inventory of useable parts. Then plan a rebuild. If a person has the resources, the talent, and capability it would be an interesting restoration starting with a stripped body. So it's your call Sam if it's worth a trip to see for yourself. If your a pilot or have airplane travel available, the airport is close by the salvage yard. Whatever, I would be glad to meet you there. Bob
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

I did take pictures, but don't know how to post them.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 cars spotted for sale/parts- local, CL, etc... Reply with quote

An interesting thing I failed to mention. A fuel pressure gauge was installed in the fuel line at the cold start valve. It was showing or stuck on 15, don't know which.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: