Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fabricate onboard generator using Honda GX-25?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Fabricate onboard generator using Honda GX-25? Reply with quote

We do a lot of solo camping in our Syncro, often way out in the middle of nowhere, and I'm always thinking of emergency solutions if and when we get stuck on top of a mountain someplace. I've been thinking about making a generator out of a tiny Honda GX-25 engine mounted to the old spare tire clamshell (my spare is on the rear lid) and connected (with a piece of heater hose?) directly to a 12v 90 amp alternator. This would provide power for the Propex in the event the batteries wore down.

The Honda is rated at 80+ decibels, so for sure not for campground use.

The one I really want, the Honda EU1000 (59dB), is way too high to fit in there. By contrast, the GX-25 engine is only about 9" tall, probably less without the gas tank. So it could be permanently installed under there. A long piece of metal tube connected to a t before the fuel pump would supply gas. To use, just drop the clamshell and pull the starter.

Anybody done something like this? Any reason it wouldn't work?
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive 90amp needs about 3hp .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a great idea in concept but if you get stuck there is also a chance you will run out of gas eventually, why not go the renewable energy route? a 135w solar panel coupled with nice aux battery will serve as well.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so, looks like the 1000 w generator uses a 50cc motor as opposed to the GX-25cc.

Back to drawing board. Smaller alternator maybe.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only problem with solar is when there isn't any/enough sun. As in winter camping at night. Yes fuel is an issue but these engines would run full throttle for a week on 5 gallons of gas. They're tiny.
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why spin an alternator? Why don't you just use a 110 generator and feed your outlets with a charger connected?
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only about 10" between the clamshell and the shifter box, IIRC. The usual generators are higher than that. I'd like it to be permanently mounted so the boyz in the hood don't steal it. Where else to put it? The Honda EU1000's are way too big for example.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at your power requirements and decide what your goal really is. A good sized house battery will keep a Propex going for a long time. Maybe look at just adding battery capacity. It will be useful all the time (vs only in emergencies). It will also be silent, cheaper, and easier.

If your goal is to stay warm for a week in the winter, propane and a battery will solve that problem. If you are looking to stay alive if your car breaks down, a down sleeping bag will do the job.
andy syncro-nutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A costomer of ours is working on this idea just now,
http://gardenequipmentreview.com/reviews/landscapi...rator.aspx
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gardenequipmentreview.com/blog/post/12-Volt-Mini-Generator.aspx

That's pretty cool, but I normally just idle my engine for 40 minutes to charge my batteries. I usually want a generator to provide 120v ac so that I can run other higher powered 120v things. That's pretty sweet though!
andy syncro-nutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
http://gardenequipmentreview.com/blog/post/12-Volt-Mini-Generator.aspx

That's pretty cool, but I normally just idle my engine for 40 minutes to charge my batteries. I usually want a generator to provide 120v ac so that I can run other higher powered 120v things. That's pretty sweet though!

Yeah, I guess its all down to many factors and persoal requirements.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it! Way more ambitious size-wise than my idea, but the same basic notion. I wonder what he does about the exhaust.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with idling to recharge is the gas usage. I'm talking about an emergency device that could save your butt in the snow for a week. RIP James Kim...hard to forget that story.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure he just stores it in the battery box and takes it out for use.
TheBusBarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why dont you just get the EU1000i, I have a set of them (EU200i's) in tandem and they can power my whole trailer. You could just carry it as cargo, and then pull it out and run it aside your van and run your shore power to it. Or, you could do a Jerry can rack off the rear end for a rack solution. These are amazing little machines and you can run em anywhere.

Last edited by TheBusBarn on Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
andy syncro-nutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
That's it! Way more ambitious size-wise than my idea, but the same basic notion. I wonder what he does about the exhaust.

I think it is intended to run outside and away from the van, Email John and ask, He's a really nice guy and good costomer Smile
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not get the EU1000? It's too big (17" tall IIRC) to fit into the clamshell. Yes I could stick it on the roof rack but in my neighborhood it wouldn't be there the next morning. Where else to store it? NOT inside the van...

I want something permanently mounted so the enterprising young lads around here can't walk away with it.

The EU1000 would be my first choice except for the size.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
The only problem with idling to recharge is the gas usage. I'm talking about an emergency device that could save your butt in the snow for a week. RIP James Kim...hard to forget that story.

This is an interesting thread, no doubt.. A couple great ideas for small generators.. But I am wondering how a generator is going to help you much in surviving a week in the snow?

What use is electricity when your car is stuck? It can not provide much heat and you can not eat or drink it.

There is one device that will save your butt if truly stuck out in the wilderness.. and that is an EPIRB 406 beacon.. The type of beacon used offshore and in back country trekking.

The Kim family story is tragic, no doubt.. But some basic survival skills and tools would have helped them much more than an electricity generator.

In the Kim's case, they drove up the wrong road in a building snow storm.. a road whose gate should have been locked... Given the weather forecast they should have never even headed up that county road.

Communications/beacon, a gps, a weather radio, emergency rations and some sleeping bags would be a wiser plan.

I say go for it on the generator idea... but please make sure you have the basics for survival covered, too. And for gawd's sake.. don't go driving into a snow covered unmaintained road at the out-set of a winter storm.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually go out with 10 days + of food, full water tank, 6 gals of propane, three house batteries aside from the starter battery, down bag, and a few bottles of my favorite zinfandel. The latter, to greet rescuers when and if they arrive.

But a generator that would run for a week or so on a few gallons of gas would supply heat and light way beyond what the batteries can do, esp. in cold weather.

The Kim story is pretty extreme but it illustrates to all us city boys how nature doesn't f..k around. Easy to forget when you aren't out there.

I was up in the Sierras a couple years ago, early December, me and the dog, way back on a snowy road in Toyaibe Nat Forest, 11* at night. A day later back home the throttle cable broke. Coulda stranded me up there. Us I should say.
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have electricity you have heat if equipped w/ portable heater.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: