Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fabricate onboard generator using Honda GX-25?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBA 88West LA wrote:
if you have electricity you have heat if equipped w/ portable heater.
.. if you have propane, too.

Or just pack a little Coleman propane canister heater.. So simple even *I* can use it!
The you needn't worry about the added systems complexity (and potential breakdown/ malfunction) of a generator to run an electrically managed propane heater.
This reminds me of the SNL skit, "MacGruber". Very Happy

Anyway.. my point is this mini-generator is not about "survival".. You don't need a generator or even propane heat to survive a week (or more) in a Sierra blizzard.. especially if you have shelter. Geez.. I know people who pack out into that stuff for "fun".. and they survive just fine without much more than a tent/bivvy, sleeping bag, and good clothes. I'd work on those types of skills if I was going to go tempting winter-time Mother Nature.. before I'd spend much time fabbing up a custom mini-generators.

Fabbing up mini-generators? Very Cool! Do it!. I've wanted something similar for my offshore 24'er.
Just don't go kidding yourself that it wll save your sorry ass until the cavalry arrives.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have doubts that you'll be able to get 40 amps from a 25cc mini generator. Agreeing that you might get 25 amps, that's only 300 watts. Then you have inverter inefficiencies. I don't know if you can even buy an electric heater less than 1000 watts. I have seen 12 volt heaters that are 180-200 watts, but I don't know if that could keep you warm in a metal and glass box if it's below freezing out. I guess I'm being negative here. Didn't mean to be.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about the relationship between power and watt output, but the EU1000's are 50cc and put out 1000 watts.

Honda also makes a GX35, 35cc, maybe could expect 500 watts?

My intention is to keep the Propex going and run some lights.
TheBusBarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need a permanent mount? I keep my EU2000i's in my garage. Then when I go camping I bring them along. Then when I get there I take them and place them outside at the rear corner to run them, I use a cable lock designed to lock up a bicycle and lock them to the trailer hitch and then run them right there to power my shore power. Its simple and no hassle. When you dont need them, leave them home.
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I picked up a couple of heaters awhile back that where 300 or 400 watts on low and 700 on med and 1000 on high.

I use it in my vanagon when we are on shorepower, sure is nice.

having a genny would be nice, but not permanate....I think having one of those crappy 2stroke ones from harbor freight for 90 bucks would be fine if you had a total melt down on your van in the woods.

batteries are the way to go if setup right.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: