Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1956 23 Window, once in a lifetime find...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: 1956 23 Window, once in a lifetime find... Reply with quote

.. for me anyways!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The previous owner had most of the bits and pieces but he really really blew my head apart with the one piece of unobutanium that most deluxes are missing...

The coolest thing was, the PO KNEW what it was. He just carried it out and said simply "snowflake" and handed it to me. Class move.

More later! (I posted this on the local Vancouver airspeed forum after I got it home, but I need some questions answered and someone thought it would be a good idea to post here).

Just look at these floors! Underneath is not as happy or inviting, but it's home and I will be slaving away at it!

The outriggers were AWOL, but even still it took forever to get it all cleaned up.

The rest of the passenger side cleaned up.

First day of welding done! Outriggers and a patch up front. One of the previous owner savaged the front for some reason. lol_hitting One day of really filthy dirty work (cleaning metal), followed by clean welding work.

Gratuitous Gerson Green!

For the outside, visible, areas, I used factory like spot welds (slightly larger). For the insides (not visible), I used stitch welding for increased strength and so less muck gets inside, and also for the tophats to outriggers I will stitch weld. This sometimes leads to globs hanging down, but they can be removed with a bit o grinding.

Drivers side plug welds.. (too preserve seam after grinding...)

Day 2 of welding done!

It's a little hard to see, but in this photo it shows how rust free the roof, skylights and gutters are. Very very lucky!

Last edited by dawerks on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ol36er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find, very sweet!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Martinez
The VW Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool
65 bug
67 standard

zombie wrote:
buslife wrote:

10 inch narrowed beam

Congrats, that's going to look like shit.
swivel'n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow man nice find.. that is once in a lifetime for many.. good luck
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! More pics, please...
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congradulations!! - how did you find this - I really need to start driving around and start looking.
poptop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great find and way better condition than you would expect for the locale and age. NIce to see an early get unearthed
thewalkingdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: 1956 23 Window, once in a lifetime find... Reply with quote

looks like there's nothing to buff out on this oldie but goodie. and in great condition considering. I and others as well will be salivating over the resto in this thread so keep the pics coming!
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 23 Window, once in a lifetime find... Reply with quote

thewalkingdude wrote:
looks like there's nothing to buff out on this oldie but goodie. and in great condition considering. I and others as well will be salivating over the resto in this thread so keep the pics coming!

Welll... the top still has all of it's original Chestnut brown Smile But it's very difficult to get to. Some places the white just flakes off but others it's on rock solid.

Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow really nice find Very Happy
Jake Martinez
The VW Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 23 Window, once in a lifetime find... Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
thewalkingdude wrote:

Welll... the top still has all of it's original Chestnut brown Smile But it's very difficult to get to. Some places the white just flakes off but others it's on rock solid.

cool! Cool
65 bug
67 standard

zombie wrote:
buslife wrote:

10 inch narrowed beam

dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has ooh and aw''d at the snowflake kickpanel? Maybe they are not as rare as I thought. Maybe it's just the cool way the PO handed it too me that makes the whole thing so special.

My writing skill is just not adequate enough to describe the situation so maybe the photo is lacking as well? My personal feeling is that after always searching the samba classifieds, then every single forum in Canada almost 3 times a day for what seems like years, this, this just happened.

Meaning the previous owner must've got hundreds of responses, but why me? And then on top of actually getting this rare deluxe, to have him practically hand over an item worth so much when clearly he could've just kept it is just mind blowing.

He had owned it for 15 years! Finally one day he decided to sell it and for me it was perfect timing. Any other time, maybe I would not have had the funds or skill enough to tackle what work it needs, or motivation... or?? so for me, truely this is a once in a lifetime find. I hope to have it running and driving with some help!

...rambling!! Sorrrryy!
Jake Martinez
The VW Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definatley not an easy peice to find. so did the guy just not have the time for restoring it?
65 bug
67 standard

zombie wrote:
buslife wrote:

10 inch narrowed beam

dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Martinez wrote:
definatley not an easy peice to find. so did the guy just not have the time for restoring it?

Maybe a combination of things. We (meaning people who actually get to work on VW's, drive them, enjoy them) really take alot of things for granted sometimes, don't want to assume anything here. Like, having proper tools, time, money, motivation, more mundane things..... hundreds of things literally have to come together for us to enjoy what we do. I never fully realized that! Until now. Now, just working on this bus is as much a joy as owning something so inherently cool to us VW addicts!
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a great fiend, congratulations, lots of luck with it my friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FINEGERMANSTEEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sweet.now keep workin ha.we like pictures
65 bus project_sadly sold it
66 squareback project..in process..kinda
--CultWagen--slowlow61
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
No one has ooh and aw''d at the snowflake kickpanel? Maybe they are not as rare as I thought. Maybe it's just the cool way the PO handed it too me that makes the whole thing so special.

My writing skill is just not adequate enough to describe the situation so maybe the photo is lacking as well? My personal feeling is that after always searching the samba classifieds, then every single forum in Canada almost 3 times a day for what seems like years, this, this just happened.

Meaning the previous owner must've got hundreds of responses, but why me? And then on top of actually getting this rare deluxe, to have him practically hand over an item worth so much when clearly he could've just kept it is just mind blowing.

He had owned it for 15 years! Finally one day he decided to sell it and for me it was perfect timing. Any other time, maybe I would not have had the funds or skill enough to tackle what work it needs, or motivation... or?? so for me, truely this is a once in a lifetime find. I hope to have it running and driving with some help!

...rambling!! Sorrrryy!

I get that cool factor. Heck he could have just kept it and sold it separate for some solid cash. That is very cool in fact I think it makes the find special. I have a similar experience with a beetle I got once. I too look forward to every ounce of this thread.

dawerks wrote:
Jake Martinez wrote:

Maybe a combination of things. We (meaning people who actually get to work on VW's, drive them, enjoy them) really take alot of things for granted sometimes, don't want to assume anything here. Like, having proper tools, time, money, motivation, more mundane things..... hundreds of things literally have to come together for us to enjoy what we do. I never fully realized that! Until now. Now, just working on this bus is as much a joy as owning something so inherently cool to us VW addicts!

and I agree here too with my young kids and work etc time is my biggest asset and the bus gets attention last. enjoy every minute
025 Safety belts
195 Adjustable bench seat/backrest (until 1963)
dawerks wrote:
Perfection only comes with delusion.

http://www.oacdp.org/
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey so this bus made it down to Van huh! Congrats!

i'm glad to see a thread on it, once it left the local forums i wasn't sure it would show up again.

I had met the PO too - I bought the slider door off that blue baywindow beside your bus in the one pic! - he told me about this bus at the time, and I went back and forth on maybe buying it with him for about 6 months - he sent me loads of pics, most you probably saw in his ad.

but i was just a tire kicker. i would never have had the resources to rebuild a bus like this - too lazy/cheap/etc. i knew it was out of my league $$'s-wise anyhoo

so can you tell us - is it relatively complete?

anyhow, lucky you! good to hear that all your hard, persistant searching for 3 years paid off! i bet once i see the finished product I'll never forget the one that got away... thanks for making this thread Very Happy
JustBarry1972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

book marked
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. You're gonna need a correct deck lid and frontcargo door, but those are easy to find. Congrats!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: