Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meyle Drag Link
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RussellK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Meyle Drag Link Reply with quote

Has anyone made a recent purchase of a Meyle Drag Link for a late bay? I installed one on mine and the fit doesn't seem right. Both ends have similar problems. Bolt diameter is okay, the same as original. The length of the ends is .5" longer that the original. I measured my original drag link against the replacement with a micrometer and the replacement is definitely larger moving up the taper. It looks to me like the taper may be incorrect. As a result the drag link doesn't appear to be seating correctly. After torquing to spec, between the boot and arm I have around 3/8" of the stub showing and a 1/4" of thread inside the barrel of the arm. I called the vendor and they said they had other complaints about the fit and Meyle said not to worry about the gaps between the boots and the arms as long as the thread is not in the barrel which mine is. They offered a replacement which I received yesterday and after installing last night the fit still seems wrong. I'm going to contact the vendor again but I'm curious if anyone else has had this and what the outcome was.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed one in a 1971 a couple weeks ago. They are the same part up to 1979 I believe. Anyway, I had zero installation problems. Removal was a bitch though. The aft one popped right out with my air hammer but the front one really sucked getting it out. I finally cut off both sides of the bolt going through the pitman arm, then heated it with my torch after drilling out the center. It finally popped out with a drift. On top of that I had rust from behind the front bumper falling in my eyes ever time I smacked it. To top it off... the homeless guy who was living in the van started crying about only having $40 to live on for the rest of the month so I think all in all I made about $6 on the job. I did however feel pretty good afterwards for helping the old guy. Boy his van stunk bad. I hated even touching the steering wheel.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
etc.

First time I've heard of someone changing the drag link as home repair. Smile
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sped372 wrote:
aeromech wrote:
etc.

First time I've heard of someone changing the drag link as home repair. Smile

I'm just glad I didn't have to work on his plumbing...
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcnotes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Working on a stinkfoot's bus can be very intense. Laughing Laughing

aeromech wrote:
I installed one in a 1971 a couple weeks ago. They are the same part up to 1979 I believe. Anyway, I had zero installation problems. Removal was a bitch though. The aft one popped right out with my air hammer but the front one really sucked getting it out. I finally cut off both sides of the bolt going through the pitman arm, then heated it with my torch after drilling out the center. It finally popped out with a drift. On top of that I had rust from behind the front bumper falling in my eyes ever time I smacked it. To top it off... the homeless guy who was living in the van started crying about only having $40 to live on for the rest of the month so I think all in all I made about $6 on the job. I did however feel pretty good afterwards for helping the old guy. Boy his van stunk bad. I hated even touching the steering wheel.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we replaced one with a Meyle. There is a thread on it. The ends torqued in Ok but the sockets had more play new than a used one. Steering was awful. We returned it and bought one locally from Bugformance that was made in Italy and went by the brand of OCAP. It had very little play and helped the steering quite a bit. Works great.

Here is what I wrote at the time:

SGKent wrote:
picked up the OCAP drag link. Definitely Italian made in Italy's steel auto capital. Pulled the old one - dust boots read "Meyle - Germany." Was supposed to have been Nakata they shipped me, receipt says as much too. Oh well, Meyle was supposed to be good but the good news is most of the excessive freeplay is gone and we are down to what I would consider normal. Center pin still rocks but not as much. I am thinking that the drag link ends being too loose also allowed the link to rotate too far and put a little upwards pressure on the arm - like a lever pushing up instead of stud just pushing sideways. Pin still lifts too much but definitely it is a static improvement. Whether it turns into a dynamic improvement on the highway we will let you know later. I will go back and correct "Nakata" to "Meyle."

The OCAP link is much heavier and more robust in diameter as well. The end that adjusts is like a tie rod clamp rather than a lock nut.

Colin - what you are describing is exactly what we have been experiencing with this bus. I would agree that it is not self centering, quite the oppisite as you describe, and as DBM describes the steering lags the wheel like a glider lags controls. That is a good analogy.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on current drag link options? I need to order one, seems most of the ones available are Meyle, GS has Febi (brazil) and there are a few nameless brazilian ones, and I found one Lemforder but its more expensive than the Febi.

Anyone use these recently with any suggestions? Is Febi or Lemforder worth the extra $?
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

504 wrote:
Is Febi or Lemforder worth the extra $?

yes i think so. not just because we sell that one. The one we have now is Lemforder.

Last edited by germansupplyscott on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:08 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a Meyle into a 1971 bus and it seems to be fine, no issues.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I but a Meyle brand drag link in my Bus about 200-300 miles ago. It is already loosening up, I can hear a slight "pop" coming from it. Wonder how long until its a violent "pop", just like the one I replaced.

I'd get anything but Meyle.

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
I suppose that's what happens when one drives a passion wagon, which comes factory-fitted with a double bed.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking an extra $30 is not that much compared to the amount of time I have invested in this front end.

Thanks for the input
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

made in Turkey or isreal. Confused
Bloog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of the "German" Meyle stuff I've been seeing is made in either India, Turkey, or China. Go figure... Rolling Eyes
Don't assume that because you're purchasing a trusted German manufacturer's name that it's still produced there.
Those days are gone.

chabanais wrote:
Ah... you buy from Sum Ting Wong Distribution Company.
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I have the same situation as the OP upon installing my new drag link yesterday? Does anybody have any further info on this issue with the Meyle?
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope that homeless guy wasn't actually driving anywhere. $40 is maybe half a tank of fuel or a bag of groceries. Tough choice to make.

Not looking forward to when these things start to fail on mine. Thankfully besides the old steering box there has been nothing wrong with the front end... besides the front shocks not really working for the last decade or so. Huge pain when I cant get a straight answer with what will actually fit! Shocks are way too expensive an item to order then discover they don't fit.
Jockomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Found this thread after receiving my new meyle drag link.
However I can't even seem to get the old one of to install the new one.
The front end of the link will not come out of the pitman arm.

I've destroyed a new one of these:0
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-point-joint-separator-99849.html
trying to separate the joint. Stripped the threads and also mushroomed the end of the bolt.

Aeromech's story makes me think the old one is not looking so bad, however now I've put a hole in the rubber with a picklefork and I did manage to get it to budge a few millimeters so now it's not seated as it was.

Any more suggestions to getting this one out? Keep banging on the picklefork?

Even if I do manage to get the old one off, will the new one be as difficult to put in?
regalasr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feelin you. Get another pitman arm from Busted Bus?
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed a Meyle drag link - no issues.

I use something more like this for my drag link/tie rod ball joints -

http://www.revbeergoggles.com/balljoint1/ball-joint-tool.jpg
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a tie rod puller that I got from aircooled.net.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Tie-Rod-End-Puller-18-25mm-p/7080.htm
Looks alot like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its kinda pricey (was $50 when I bought mine a few ys back but is closer to $70 now) but makes these jobs soooo easy and well worth the money. I can't tell you how may times I have used it on mine and friends' VWs even my old GMC pickup. It is a sturdy, well made tool. I just replaced my 77 bus drag link with ac.net's drag link last week and it was a smooth job. The front joint took more force than the rear one but it popped right out after a few turns on the puller. Really helped my steering that had been loose for yrs. Can't believe I actuallyhad gotten use to the that steering and put it off for so long.

That being said, have you tried a bigger hammer? Usually helps to have a little more umph
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Meyle Drag Link Reply with quote

Went to install my new Febi drag link and seem to have run into a similar problem?

I installed it and tightened down to torque and this is what it looks like. Notice the space between the boot and the union.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this acceptable?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: