Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

(AL'S,not A1) 1-3/8 Header unfinished MEANS unfinished
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will you ship it?? i'm kinda down south a bit and broke my bug last monday, waiten on parts.
Marks67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell I will give you $100 plus $25 for shipping. My 1 5/8 header is just not cutting it.
turbodon1776
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marks67 wrote:
Hell I will give you $100 plus $25 for shipping. My 1 5/8 header is just not cutting it.

WRONG WRONG

your wimp dink little heads are whats not cutting it.
you have not even driven your car yet. so how do you know your 1 5/8'' isnt cutting it?
its a street car broski. its all about scavenging air speed and making torque
your header is fine until your combo starts making another 40 horsepower
which will likely not ever happen unless you put a turbo on it Cool

had a bad ass car but it has departed

2276 Turbo motor
fk87
superflo heads
490HP
9.56 ET

now I clunk around in a 65 baja bug
Chevy Ecotec Engine
091 trans
coilovers, bypasses and all the fun $tuff
Marks67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
WRONG WRONG

your wimp dink little heads are whats not cutting it.
you have not even driven your car yet. so how do you know your 1 5/8'' isnt cutting it?
its a street car broski. its all about scavenging air speed and making torque
your header is fine until your combo starts making another 40 horsepower
which will likely not ever happen unless you put a turbo on it

Hey look who the cat dragged in! How do you know its not for another motor? Laughing I cant give you MO Secrets.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny looken turbo header,but Ive seen en at the rear of a vett before. just dont back it into a curb or stub your toe on a hot turbo down there.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 3/4 would defanatly be a welcome site on my 2332 wedge port motor.unless you are strickly a drag strip car with a motor much smaller than that it will hurt more than it will help.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my parents are in cashers nc in the south west end of the state,they will be hear in about 2 weeks or so but my dad isant doing to good,so asking them to go the other way for a few hours probably wont work & Im not going to be able to make it either. I had raced at the IHRA world finals at rockingham a few years ago ,but not racing curantly.(we qualified #6 in a 32 car field that over 80 cars showed up for in our class.and that was with our small motor & first time out with the new car !!! what a blast!!!)
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a clean table and started cutting the collector apart to aim it straight out the rear and lower it to clear apron. Have to re angle the flange also. Tacking the tubes together before cutting apart. Gonna clean up all the nasty welds on the original.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have a good 1/2" clearance from rear apron.

And here is how much the left lower corner of the collector is reloctated to come out in center.

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AL's Header may not be at fault concerning the apron clearance. This is a convertible and their bodies are sometimes kinda one offish.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a lot of work & a pain in the butt to do.but you will get it where you want it.. did you ever decide if you will ship the other header?
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
thats a lot of work & a pain in the butt to do.but you will get it where you want it.. did you ever decide if you will ship the other header?

Thanks man. I promised a bunch of folks that I would bring it to the Farmington Bash in two weeks.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, all welded up and angled right. No more updates!! I've done all I can do without buying another damn header. More smoothing and its ready for the HPC dudes down the street. I know now why folks like Berg take up to ??weeks to ship a coated, garonnteed to fit, header.

volksguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive personally purchased hundreds of headers from Al's Headers, and have never had any issues with fitment, or quality. As a matter of fact most quality headers sold by VW retailers are made by AL's headers, He just doesnt put the AL's Headers ID tag on them.
AL's been around for a long time,and knows VW exuasts, he was part of the Original S&S Headers before they relocated out of California, which is why he started his own buisness many years ago.
He now makes headers and exhuast system for many other non VW company's as well, which have had great success with his workmanship.

Im not sure whats up with that particular one you purchased, but i have never had that problem, nor have other shops that i know that use Al's Headers.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Al's Headers makes the Berg headers as well as the Kymco.

Yours is looking good though and now fits your car nicely.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I have found out the scat header is kymco. I talked with kymco they said they make thier own header. my scat header was the best header out of 2 bugpoop's ,2 trimillitagain's ,1 or 2 nonames, they were all junk with the mweged collector being made wrong &afu.execpt tubes nowhere to coming close to the collector .for the scat/kymco, the collector was almost perfect .the ceramic coating only lasted 2 months then was a rusty flaking mess.it wasent applied correctly.and the #1&#3 tubes hit the valvecovers,so they had to be twieekd about an inch or so, then realine them at the collector I sent the header back to scat to be recoated and they lost it,so I had to start all over again,I have recoated the 2nd header my self ,as it lasted like the first one .so it had 6 years with my coating and wasent nowhere neer as rusted as 2 months with the pro coating put on by bubba's couzzen in cali.manwellalaborer.. I did a quick recoat when I put in my 2028 trying a defrent coating, sofar it's pretty good.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my AL's Header! My mods on the #3 J Tube were cutting apart a weld that had been welded twice before, flange in wrong spot. It was considered, hey , be glad you got a header and quit whinning.
The collector problem COULD have been because I have red bullshit urethane motor mounts( they are taller), and the fact that its a convertible application (strange F'n body).
This AL's Header , with the exception of the J Tube, might have fit someone elses car just fine.
However, the J Tube was clearly unuseable 100% like it was. It had to be fixed. We all know what a hassle shipping back and forth is like. The collector, well I will take half the blame. AL's makes a good header.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasent whining. it's good that you can fix your header.but what about the guys that cant, or dont know that the colector is made wrong, or that the pipes that wont line up with the collector unless you bend the cylinder head half off the case. remember all of that stuff is just hanging off your cylinder heads. and it's kinda easy to make a head leak with a junk header. I just dont understand how or why this crap happens and go's out the door. if it was all done on a jig or on an engine like alot of them claim,how did you eff up that tube so bad that you had to remove the flange to fix it????you didnt it was shiped to you like that. do you ship out products like that??? and yes I got a header that would only fit if there were no valve covers on the engine.and that was the best of the 4 or 5 headers I got . I like my header, it's a little small for my 2332 but ok for my 2028.and it is one of the best looking headers I have seen on a vw. but the extra $100 for a ceramic coating that last 2 months is crap, and the oil leak from no valvecovers , well would you like to be Driving behind it??? no I fixed that also. I dont think my red bulshit urapain mounts are much if any tallerand it would not matter to me if they were
hey were you wining about your mounts?? your luckey to have mounts, theres monkeys in africa that dont have any. just messen. keep up the great work. & what have you done to the other car lately???
volksguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AL's headers Makes the Scat, CB Performance, AND Kymco headers, amongs other shop (that i wont mention) that claim that they make them in house.
Maybe , just a thought, but what size engine did you try to put this 1 3/8 header on? Thats a small header, and if fitted onto a wide stroker engine, i can see how it would be short, since its probably not supposed to extend to the sides that far. Maybe your engine is wide? and the header upon instalation was pushed over to only one side, resulting in thee other side not reaching....... Just thoughts, nothing ment by it, im just trying to figure out what could have happend.
Just out of curiosity, how come you went from 1 3/4" all the way down to 1 3/8" ? Thats a huge difference.

Also, the dents on the muffler, doesnt that end up under the apron/fender where it wont be seen?
If the muffler was to have been welded fliped around, you would have that ugly seam where the muffler shell is joined together, and personally, i think that seam would look ugly showing out the rear of the car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: