Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yet another AC question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Yet another AC question Reply with quote

The cabin fan on my 87 Syncro Westy only works on three speeds--1,2 and 4.

I pulled the switch and jumpered the connections. Same thing, only 1,2 and 4.

This tells me the switch is not the problem.

What is?

The whole thing should be covered in Bentley 97.140 but I confess, I don't understand that wiring diagram. Isn't there supposed to be a voltage-reducing resistor in there that the fan switch connects to? The black/red that goes to the fresh air fan doesn't seem to connect to any resistor that I can see.

Ideas?
kumatiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They usually put the resistor somewhere in the airstream on cars and trucks because they get real dang hot. Look for something plugged into the air plenum with four wires on it. If you've got a multi-meter you can check out the resistor once you find it and see if its got an open connection.

Wish I could give you more specifics but I've had my van about 8 hours now and haven't gotten the bentley manual yet.
Andy
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the ceramic speed resistors back by the fan motors--
One speed dropped out because the resistor (s) are all done.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm going to go ahead and assume these resistors are NLA..are they? If so wouldn't one from another VW that used the same heater/AC motor do the same thing?

Thanks for responses.

Another assumption--you have to pull off the rear upper cabinet to get to the resistor? True?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tear into that upper cabinet just yet. Both speed 3 and speed 4 use relays to feed the fan motor wiring. Speed 3 uses a contact inside the main A/C relay, that then feeds the 2 resistors to run the 2 fan motors on speed 3. Make sure the A/C relay is not your problem before opening the can of worms that is the upper cabinet. (speed 4 uses a different relay, a simple 4 pin type, and bypasses the 2 resistors to run the fan motors full speed)

Mark

Californio wrote:
Now I'm going to go ahead and assume these resistors are NLA..are they? If so wouldn't one from another VW that used the same heater/AC motor do the same thing?

Thanks for responses.

Another assumption--you have to pull off the rear upper cabinet to get to the resistor? True?
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha.

You are talking about the relay on current track 9-13, Bentley 97.140--I think?

Is this AC relay 8, Bentley 87.3, located in the engine compartment? Or is that in the D pillar underneath the camper closet? Looks like a PITA if so...
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the relay is shown on the D pillar. I know you can pull the pillar cover in the 87+ passenger vans. I think you can get to it in an 87 Westy from inside the rear section of the side cabinet.

Page 87.5 shows the 3 relays mounted together, the tall relay C is the one.

It is common to many VWs and thus doesn't cost much.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_798_564/ac_relay.html

Mark

Californio wrote:
Aha.

You are talking about the relay on current track 9-13, Bentley 97.140--I think?

Is this AC relay 8, Bentley 87.3, located in the engine compartment? Or is that in the D pillar underneath the camper closet? Looks like a PITA if so...
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I look further into it, it also seems there are problems with that fuse holder melting as the blower motors wear out and increase resistance. I guess the D pillar is the place to start investigating. Thanks for the tips.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: