Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pastis the twin turbo PDK Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a shot of the ground clearance on a Boxer diesel T3 Vanagon Westfalia 2WD.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GSB

travel pictures:
http://instagram.com/crepeattack/

- the Pastis build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434656&highlight=subaru+diesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.

Nice goin' hookin' up the Facebook Exclamation

Much more goin' on over there and sooooo much easier to post and share.
brownbus78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would absolutely do this conversion if it were legal in CA. The EE20 fits just right in a Vanagon.
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is legal in CA!

travel pictures:

- the Pastis build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434656&highlight=subaru+diesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/vrir/faqsmog.htm

GSB

travel pictures:

Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMV changed the link, to the rule that older than 1998 diesel vehicles are smog exempt, here it is corrected so it works

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2535
says
"Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles 1997 year model and older"

Note that the rule says Vehicle, not Motor. So it is NOT necessary for the MOTOR
to be older than 1998, even though I have been told by DMV staff that the rule
applies to the vehicle the motor came out of, not the vehicle the motor was swapped into. But, the rule clearly says vehicle, not motor. otoh, DMV could argue that if the vanagon was not ORIGINALLY a Diesel, it is not exempt by swapping in a motor Newer than 1997.

Based on the literal interpretation of the "vehicle" rule, a 2012 Subaru diesel motor in a 1991 Vanagon could pass DMV. When I had my gasoline Syncro converted to a 1996 Diesel
motor, the DMV person doing the verification was using an interpretation of the
rule that the diesel MOTOR had to be from a Vehicle older than 1998. He asked me what year, make, and model vehicle the diesel motor came from, and took my word for it (I told the truth, 1996 Audi A6, he did not verify whether it was from a US model, which it is not, and I did not mention it.).

There is NO place on the verification form, nor on the statement of facts, where the motor year is requested, nor the make and model of the vehicle the donor motor came from, nor whether the vehicle is a US model (the subaru boxer diesel is not sold in any US model vehicle). They also don't record or verifity the motor VIN, they just mark the box that says, "cannot locate".

These are the forms you need to register a Diesel in California, as smog exempt:

1. Verification form
http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg31.pdf

2. and the Statement of Facts in which you swear your vehicle is diesel:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf
"This vehicle does not require a smog certification for transfer of ownership
because it is powered by diesel."

Last edited by Jon_slider on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much!

Greg

travel pictures:

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The diesel smog test itself is a joke here in California anyways......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now done the smog test on both my ALH TDi MKIV cars, and it is truly a joke... I just can't believe they even bother. They look under the hood for a minute then start the car and rev it up to see if there is any smoke coming out the tail pipes, if there is no smoke and nothing obvious in the engine bay is changed it passes. No sniffer no dyno for diesels... At least not my 1998 or my 2001... I don't own one of the new diesels with the regeneration thing or the diesel clean up fluid, so I can't comment on that....
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subaru diesel does not need any of the late emissions gadgets when used with the aftermarket ECU... So simple, clean, light and quiet!! it's awesome!

Greg

travel pictures:

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrogreg wrote:
The subaru diesel does not need any of the late emissions gadgets when used with the aftermarket ECU... So simple, clean, light and quiet!! it's awesome!

Greg

That does NOT mean they may look for those items one day at smog!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
brownbus78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider, thanks for posting that info. I guess it more or less depends on the technician who looks it over and whether any f@&#s are given about what car it came out of. I'll sit on the idea for a while longer and read through some more conversion threads before I do anything for sure.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I guess it more or less depends on the technician who looks it over

The process of submitting a statement of facts, and the verification form, does NOT involve ANY technicians.

Neither the statement of facts nor the verification form asks what year make or model the diesel motor came from. The forms only ask for the year make and model of the Vanagon you put the motor into.

The statement of facts is just a piece of paper you sign that says the vehicle is powered by diesel, and the verification form is a piece of paper you sign that DMV STAFF fills out.

They walk outside and look at the vin number on your dash, verifying that it matches the VIN number on the statement of facts you signed.

DMV STAFF does NOT ask you to show them the motor. They might make you start the motor so they can hear if it "sounds like a diesel". They LOVE it when you have a DIESEL fuel sticker near your gas cap. Thats the whole verification process.

Then DMV STAFF walks back inside the building. Then they change the G on your title to a D, print you a new title, and bye bye smog checks.

Notice I said nothing about going to a referee, and nothing about making an appointment with Highway Patrol to verify your statement of facts.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
syncrogreg wrote:

Greg

Agreed.

The more conversions are designed around deleted emissions components, the higher the chance that the BAR will not pass them, diesel or not.

The laws are changing and will become more and more strict over time.

One of the friendly, environmental policy minded Polar Bears told me so.

I'd figure out a way to be emissions compliant if one is planning to sell in the State of California and other States "cleaning up" there act.
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct! they do run pretty clean anyway. better than the average Vanagon I've seen.

GSB

Jon_slider wrote:
> I guess it more or less depends on the technician who looks it over

The process of submitting a statement of facts, and the verification form, does NOT involve ANY technicians.

Neither the statement of facts nor the verification form asks what year make or model the diesel motor came from. The forms only ask for the year make and model of the Vanagon you put the motor into.

The statement of facts is just a piece of paper you sign that says the vehicle is powered by diesel, and the verification form is a piece of paper you sign that DMV STAFF fills out.

They walk outside and look at the vin number on your dash, verifying that it matches the VIN number on the statement of facts you signed.

DMV STAFF does NOT ask you to show them the motor. They might make you start the motor so they can hear if it "sounds like a diesel". They LOVE it when you have a DIESEL fuel sticker near your gas cap. Thats the whole verification process.

Then DMV STAFF walks back inside the building. Then they change the G on your title to a D, print you a new title, and bye bye smog checks.

Notice I said nothing about going to a referee, and nothing about making an appointment with Highway Patrol to verify your statement of facts.

travel pictures:

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrogreg wrote:
Correct! they do run pretty clean anyway. better than the average Vanagon I've seen.]

That, sadly, is NOT the point.

*IF* an item is considered required and it not functioning or MIA that would be cause for a fail.

Further, at that point, the may dig even deeper.

Do not mess with them, they know to mess with you better.

You really do not want to be caught tampering with emissions components.

Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted because I keep repeating myself

if anyone needs help registering a diesel conversion in Cali, feel free to PM me

Last edited by Jon_slider on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

Respectfully, think down the road a bit. The CARB can and has changed the rules of the game before. Currently the diesels rules are not strict. That does not mean they may not start doing things different. This is the train of thought I am continuing from above; see below quote.

r39o wrote:

-W

syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All around Westfalia option Plexiglas windows.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was hoping for a new page... Awesome!

The windows are very awesome! They have a slight tint that make it hard to see inside the van .

GSB

travel pictures:

JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

I talk to the California CARB/BAR/DMV on a yearly basis about Porsche emissions compliance of production cars, I will fill them in on these "new" diesels and how they are being setup for conversions.
They will be able to make a better decision/changes once fully up to speed.

WOW, doesn't this sound personal?? So everyone that dreams about a cool engine conversion in Cali has you to thank for not being able to get one??

Why would you even want to associate with CARB??

Are you "filling them in" on all conversions or just Greg's??

Maybe it was you that talked the government to smog the TDI to have a cleaner tailpipe and lose 15-20% fuel economy???

Anything else in the works that you want to tell us about?

Our hobby has taken a step backwards in my eyes.

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 41 of 60

Jump to: