Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 inspection plate cover colors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Thanks but not wanting guesses. Wink I have been doing that for years. It has come up again for me with a couple of 64's here with recently posted pictures of what appears to be OG paint under the hood of these cars with the paint code sticker there and untouched. The owners have said they will take more oics so maybe we can get to the end of this.
Anybody else have a 64 with body color covers?

Well then you better go raise the dead previous owners from the grave and quiz them on the exact history of the car!

APPEARS.....therein lies your problem. These cars are old, have been through a lot and unless you purchased from the original owner who had every scrap of paper to document every bolt turned on the car you will have nothing but guesses.
The info you seek is long gone and undocumented. At this point it is all guesses.

That guy posting with bare steel on the back side? He's trying to help but, who says that's original? There is just no way of knowing 100%.

Continue your search, you do have to factor in accidents and repairs made over the decades, best of luck to you.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ga bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
60ragtop wrote:
Thanks but not wanting guesses. Wink I have been doing that for years. It has come up again for me with a couple of 64's here with recently posted pictures of what appears to be OG paint under the hood of these cars with the paint code sticker there and untouched. The owners have said they will take more oics so maybe we can get to the end of this.
Anybody else have a 64 with body color covers?

Well then you better go raise the dead previous owners from the grave and quiz them on the exact history of the car!

APPEARS.....therein lies your problem. These cars are old, have been through a lot and unless you purchased from the original owner who had every scrap of paper to document every bolt turned on the car you will have nothing but guesses.
The info you seek is long gone and undocumented. At this point it is all guesses.

That guy posting with bare steel on the back side? He's trying to help but, who says that's original? There is just no way of knowing 100%.

Continue your search, you do have to factor in accidents and repairs made over the decades, best of luck to you.

Dave

Dave
I really think it orig if you look closely in the pic you can see the orig undercoating on it.The srcew that holds the plate on is clear metal under it.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you are trying to help Smile But I don't have the car in front of me, if I did more than likely I could tell if it was OG paint or not. On my car, I was the third owner with lots of previous documentation of this 87K car.
That pic Ga bug posted sure screams of OG paint to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
I know you are trying to help Smile But I don't have the car in front of me, if I did more than likely I could tell if it was OG paint or not. On my car, I was the third owner with lots of previous documentation of this 87K car.
That pic Ga bug posted sure screams of OG paint to me.

Yep it sure looks that way. Then again, back in the 60's any repair work done by VW was indeed using OG paint.

Heck, even JC Whitney crap fenders sold and installed in the 6o's look OG in 2010!!! Many times "We" just assume that these cars haven't had anything done to them and how it is today is how it came from Germany. In many many instances this just is not the case.
I'm not saying it isn't original (though the undercoating isn't.....hmmmmmm), it may very well be, I'm just saying that there is no way on God's green earth that anyone can KNOW 100% for sure without being the original owner or you have 100% documentation. Even then, dealers and even importers repair damaged cars before they are sold to the original purchaser. In days gone by, no one knew the repairs were even made and unlike today, there wasn't any disclosure of the repairs made before sale.

I worked for Mercedes Benz in the early 70's. I saw cars at Port Newark that were virtually destroyed, dropped off of the boat and other horrendous damage. That same car was later sold as new, fixed right there by Mercedes Benz of NA at the Port. No one was none the wiser....unless the car had issues. The Area factory service Rep had access to the files and I've seen MBNA give a new car to a troubled owner of a rebuilt unit, even years later.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to add to this thread now so it shows up in my "view your posts" link. I recently went and visited Rick's (60ragtop) old 1964 bug, the girl that bought it from him around 16 years ago has kept it in awesome condition and hardly even drove it over the years. I took a bunch of photos and sent them to Rick... and I think he'll post some of them up soon. Personally I think it's VERY likely this car had it's three cover plates painted at the factory. Me and Rick are old friends, known him longer than just about anyone else in the VW world. And I remember this car before it got restored - Rick was saying back then that the car was already so nice it didn't need a restoration, it just needed a stock paint respray over the orig outer patina'd paint, and be good to go. And I agreed! Inside the car and in the trunk it was near-perfect.

-Andy
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I forgot how good this car was/is Very Happy I'm in the process of sorting out the pictures Andy took the other day and some I took before the respray back in 89-90.Have to scan themas they are prints. I am going to talk with the previous owner(2nd) who bought this car from the original owner to get the history refreshed for me.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted a few pics of the car and covers on my website for those that are interested Wink
Will add more once I redo the site when I find time.
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would chime in here also. I have an OG '64 and it's inspection covers are painted body color (Sea Blue). I can through up some pics on Friday (day off). My car was built in Jan '64 if that helps with anything.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
[/img]
Gabug's low mileage 64
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by 60ragtop on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Jürgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are from my 1964:

The car had one owner before me. There are no signs of any damage or repairs to the front of the car.

Here's what I was told about the car -- the original owner was a farmer, he died in 1986, and the car had been sitting idle since then, until his family sold it to me last year. It was used primarily as a kind of utility vehicle -- only 30,000 miles, but almost all of them were on dirt roads. (The volume of sand and clay that was impacted in the frame head area, on the suspension and steering mechanisms, as well as in the interior bears this out.)

I don't get the impression that he was the kind of guy to get the interior of the trunk re-painted.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it appears to be before and after they changed the steering box cover sideways, I've been trying to find a date or chassis number for that change, it was sometime in 1964, but I can't find it.
-Andy
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 66 Fontana Grey 1300 had body colour plates but my Dads 66 1300 in pearl white had black covers, my registration was GCY135D, his GCY132D.......only 3 numbers apart in the UK registrations and registered on the same day in '66
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re the above, both were 1 owner unmolested cars, wish I still had them Crying or Very sad
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My March '64 car had black covers.
pillansii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: My OG paint pearl white 64 bug has white plates Reply with quote

I just got an OG paint never wrecked pearl white bug.
And it has pearl white inspection plates.
It caught my attention right away and got me wondering.
Sure enough the cars referred to in this thread are 64s. Curious
To me it is conclusive.
The post is a few years old now so no one may care but
If anyone still cares I can ad pictures
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a 64 panama beige original unmolested car. Also has body color inspection covers. Thought it was weird until reading this post

Pete
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I care, please post pics of those covers.
It really seems to be a 64 factory thing.
Funny thing is I was just thinking of this very subject the past couple of days Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: inspection plate cover colors Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the spare tire wheel in my new 1964. Original paint except for the spray bomb touch ups on all the dings. Nothing appears to be repainted in the spare tire wheel.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: