Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drsartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my current project. I also have a '69 that is sitting in the garage waiting for me to get started on. The engine is rebuilt and ready to install, but I plan to get her painted first.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimbuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

Imported from California.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

I was coming here - Middlemore Hospital - anyway to drop my wife off at work, but we nearly came in the other door at Emergency.

Some fool turned from a side road right in front of us. The disk brakes stopped us just in time with 6" to spare. Hardest breaking I've done for many years.

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

Whew! It sounds like you two were w-a-y too close to disaster that time.
Thank Goodness you were able to avoid any damage to either yourselves or to your Ghia.

At least you were able to get a great photo opportunity out of the day, anyway.

kiwighia68 wrote:

You know, I always suspected that it may be true but it's nice to see that your photo may actually confirm my suspicions - the fabled "pot of gold" at the end of each rainbow is not, in fact, a literal cast iron cauldron filled to overflowing with gold coins.
Rather, the phrase "pot of gold" is merely used as a metaphor to describe a treasure even more valuable and desirable - a flawless Karmann Ghia that runs and drives as good as it looks!

On the other hand, your photo may simply be restating the obvious - one will likely need to spend a coin-of-the-realm equivalent in order to acquire or build a flawless Karmann Ghia that runs and drives as good as it looks. Wink
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

Hi KGCoupe, Yes, I'm thankful for my good fortune. Safe, healthy and happy, in that order of preference.

Every time I get into my car I remember the words of a senior attorney who was a mentor to me and also the VW dealer. Chris, he said, you must drive a car that makes you feel good every time you get behind the steering wheel.

This Ghia does that for me, more than any other car that I have owned (including several Porsches and a very, very nice Alfa Spider). Maybe it's because I know every nut and bolt on it; with most parts having been restored by hand right here in my garage - under the doubtful eyes of my sons, who know me as a suit-and-tie kind of father.

I think we love our Ghias because, like our chldren, we made them.

Last edited by kiwighia68 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

Ah...most of us have been there too Chris...I took this picture this afternoon to illustrate how vulnerable we are...

...and that's just a medium sized SUV. I drive even more defensively than I used to which is a shame when you have a sweetly running supercharged KG. Confused
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

^^^ I like the black car better. What is that, some kind of Porsche?

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Ah...most of us have been there too Chris...I took this picture this afternoon to illustrate how vulnerable we are...

...and that's just a medium sized SUV. I drive even more defensively than I used to which is a shame when you have a sweetly running supercharged KG. :?

John, I often travel next to a large truck and trailer combo and think, If I were to meet this thing at right angles I'm going to have to duck and hope I can get through under its chassis. My Ghia might be turned into a vert but I might just survive.

Best to stay on the quiet country roads.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

Best to stay on the quiet country roads.

I do. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

Careful! If you're already making plans like these ...
kiwighia68 wrote:
John, I often travel next to a large truck and trailer combo and think, If I were to meet this thing at right angles I'm going to have to duck and hope I can get through under its chassis. My Ghia might be turned into a vert but I might just survive. ...

... then next thing you know you just may find yourself trying something like this ...

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
John, I often travel next to a large truck and trailer combo and think, If I were to meet this thing at right angles I'm going to have to duck and hope I can get through under its chassis. My Ghia might be turned into a vert but I might just survive. ...

... then next thing you know you just may find yourself trying something like this ...

These are the people who shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.......

Imagine the angst that innocent truck driver would have to endure if he had to suddenly brake?

IMHO...... he defines what an idiot is.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

These are the people who shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.......

Imagine the angst that innocent truck driver would have to endure if he had to suddenly brake?

IMHO...... he defines what an idiot is.

Dave

Yep a prime candidate for the Darwin Awards. Rolling Eyes
kombi kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

I asked god for my first VW, I know he doesn't work that way so I stole a bug and asked for forgiveness!

my "car guy 401k"
1963 kombi (now running and driving
1956 oval sad to see it go!
1966 ghia coupe
1963 bug (sold at prado)
1968 porsche 912
1964 super stock dodge factory light weight 426cu 425hp
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

kombi kid wrote:

You have two or you painted the rusty one??

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
clarkare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

After almost 2 years the restoration is nearly finished. I can’t wait to start driving on these wonderful French country roads. Pete the guy that has been doing the work on my behalf has done a fantastic job. There is no way that I would have had the skills ( or the patience to learn!) to undertake the scale of body repairs that were required. Yes it is a ‘cheque book’ restoration but that has not stopped me from getting enormous pleasure in watching the work progress as well as admiring the skills of a craftsman.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

clarkare wrote:
...I can’t wait to start driving on these wonderful French country roads. Pete the guy that has been doing the work on my behalf has done a fantastic job.

Welcome to the Ghia RHD club. Not too many of us.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

Looks great!

I find the radio antenna mount interesting.

Radios were never a factory installed item so it is fascinating the various locations dealers and owners chose for them over the years.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
clarkare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

The Ghia has been in the family 16 years, originally imported from South Africa and was bought for my daughter. Started to look very tired hence the ‘light’ restoration which inevitably turned into a major rebuild.

I did not like the ariel coming off the wing so I thought that this was a neater placement. Swan neck mirrors to go on and rear windows to be fitted. It will live at my house in France as I have a dry garage so it will be registered as a French car once it is finished
blucherb5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Owners...Post Your Ghias Reply with quote

blucherb5 wrote:

Looks great, color shows off the wheels very well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
Jump to:
Page 59 of 79

Jump to: