Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NM Lowlight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

I recently picked up a Lowlight Coupe project, and I'm starting this thread to document its restoration (Thanks for the suggestion, John).

This one was made in August of '56, and has build number 7454. It had Lizard Green paint originally, and I'd like it to have that again. It has been treated poorly in many respects, mostly in the form of shoddy body work (rockers and rear quarters especially) likely done in the '80s or '90s. Hood and deck lid are not original to the car, and I am missing many of the original/correct parts. The guy I bought it from took it apart more than 10 years ago, did the chassis work, and then let it sit. I had to put the body back onto the pan, with the seller's help, to get it to my place.

I knew of this car for years, but I never thought that I'd own it. When the chance came up I jumped!

Here's the state it was in when I bought it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had to put the transaxle back together and mate it to the chassis before putting the body on the pan:

Here's one showing the body being lowered onto the pan:

And here are a few taken last weekend, after getting the car to my place:

The plan now is to get it running and driving as it is, and then work on acquiring as many of the correct bits and pieces as I can before pulling the body off again and doing the metal work and paint. I've done some metal work before, but what this car needs is beyond my existing skill and tool set. I don't see this car as ever being a perfect example, but I would like to make a nice looking, fun driver out of it. I'm looking forward to sharing the process and learning along the way.

Thanks for reading!

PS - Here's the car's birth certificate:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

Best of luck, keep going and I am looking forward to seeing your results.
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

What a cool project, looking forward to following it and of course we are here to help if you have questions !

Bests

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

Popcorn It's going to be another interesting ride. Very Happy

Useful '57 parts book: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1957_karmann_ghia_parts_book.php
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing.

Don't fear the bodywork. If your expectations are realistic, you can learn to bump metal with inexpensive tools. With no prior experience and a 40-hour investment, I was able to repair a door with a longitudinal crease in the outer skin using a Harbor Freight hammer/dolly set and Stud puller, and a stainless steel shrinking disk.

We're all looking forward to your progress and success.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to watching this beautiful car come together and I love the idea of making it a driver first. That's my favorite way to do a project. I never would have predicted this as your return to the scene but I'm glad you're back!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NM Lowlight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

markendee wrote:
Best of luck, keep going and I am looking forward to seeing your results.

TRS63 wrote:
What a cool project, looking forward to following it and of course we are here to help if you have questions !

Thank You! I appreciate all the good vibes coming together around this project!

Last edited by NM Lowlight on Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

Great looking car! Welcome to the club!

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
NM Lowlight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

Don't fear the bodywork. If your expectations are realistic, you can learn to bump metal with inexpensive tools. With no prior experience and a 40-hour investment, I was able to repair a door with a longitudinal crease in the outer skin using a Harbor Freight hammer/dolly set and Stud puller, and a stainless steel shrinking disk.

Where did your avatar come from? I watched a bunch of TV in my wasted youth and that image of the floating brains seems familiar to me. Makes me laugh every time I see it!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yes, there will be plenty of hammer and dolly work going on with this car. I will be practicing on scrap for a while before attempting anything on The Lizard (my name for the car).

It will also require a fair amount of cutting and welding. Both doors sag to the rear, and the LH door gap is off on the lower rear edge thanks to that shoddy body work mentioned above. I'll take and post some photos of this in the future.

Fortunately for me the local Harbor Freight is only about a 15 minute drive from our place. I'm sure there are a few things I'll be picking up from them during the course of this project.

Last edited by NM Lowlight on Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
NM Lowlight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Popcorn It's going to be another interesting ride. Very Happy

Pun intended? Laughing

John Moxon wrote:
Useful '57 parts book: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1957_karmann_ghia_parts_book.php

Oooh! That Spare Parts List is most helpful! Thanks for the link.
NM Lowlight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
I'm looking forward to watching this beautiful car come together and I love the idea of making it a driver first. That's my favorite way to do a project. I never would have predicted this as your return to the scene but I'm glad you're back!

Adam! You were part of the beginnings of my serious entry into the world of air-cooled VW, way back in the early '00s. Your support now means a lot.

I didn't anticipate getting another VW, but when this particular car was offered to me I could not resist. A Ghia is the only VW I never had but always wanted. That this one is a Lowlight makes the taste even sweeter. Now that The Lizard is home I have been spending a little time each day just looking at it (Bernie style - RIP).

It looks like we'll be talking about engine stuff soon. I'm looking forward to seeing what you might have in that stash of yours.

Thanks for chiming in!

Last edited by NM Lowlight on Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
NM Lowlight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

VeloMikey wrote:
Great looking car! Welcome to the club!

Thanks! Thumbs Up
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

From the pictures yours looks nicer than my ‘56 when I got it. I have a build thread if interested. If you have any question feel free to ask. My car is a Oct 56. If you need any tips on getting the correct interior materials just ask. Get ready to use that credit card though. These are pricey cars to restore correctly.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
mouse action
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

I noticed that you Volkswagen folks are a DEDICATED bunch.👏
NM Lowlight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
From the pictures yours looks nicer than my ‘56 when I got it. I have a build thread if interested. If you have any question feel free to ask. My car is a Oct 56. If you need any tips on getting the correct interior materials just ask. Get ready to use that credit card though. These are pricey cars to restore correctly.

I've got your thread up on another tab and am slowly chewing through it. We'll see what surprises are waiting for me when I get around to stripping the body. As it is now I am seeing a LOT of things that were done wrong.

I have read that the interiors are where a bunch of money can be spent. At this point I don't see my car's interior being 100% correct, but goals/desires can change as the project continues.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

Seems like lowlights are surfacing more often. Yours looks like a very worthwhile project and I'm glad to have another restoration to follow.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

Yay, Greg! Like Adam said, we are stoked that you bought another air-cooled, after all these years, and what a particularly cool car it is. I like the idea of doing this in stages, so that the process is more enjoyable than daunting. For me, daily driving my beetle before I put it down to do a more intense restoration... I feel like that gave me the motivation to get through it (not that it's finished, yet!). I look forward to seeing it in person and going for the first ride.
K
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

K, your signature line had me literally laughing out loud first thing this morning!

NM Lowlight wrote:
Now that The Lizard is home I have been spending a little time each day just looking at it (Bernie style - RIP).

Looks like BC's final move was getting you and K in Karmann Ghias. Just took a short drive to breakfast to hook you both.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NM Lowlight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

I've gone through your thread from start to finish. The finished car looks wonderful! Paint prep and application is something I'll be asking questions about in the future.

Last edited by NM Lowlight on Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
NM Lowlight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Thread - August of '56 Coupe Reply with quote

I've been trying to do small things for The Lizard each day. This week I got around to installing the door latch mechanisms and handles so I could stop using the ratchet strap to hold them closed. I also installed the checks so the doors could stay open when needed.

While digging around through the fastener collection I cam across this bolt:

That's the original Lizard Green paint showing through from beneath the darker green repaint. I used that bolt to replace one of those missing from the hood hinges. Little stuff like this is satisfying.

And here's another view of original paint and the darker green repaint:

The doors sag to the rear thanks in large part to slop in the hinges. When installing the latches and striker plates I set the strikers so they hold the doors up where they should be in relation to the quarter. Now I see issues with the body as shown by the door gaps.

It looks like the rear end of the car sits a little high in relation to the front. Someone replaced the outer skins along the rockers and bottoms of the rear quarters but a lot of what's inside of that was not replaced. And in the process of this work little attention was paid to maintaining side panel alignment.

Am I seeing this right?

And here's a little preview of coming attractions:

Last edited by NM Lowlight on Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:21 am; edited 15 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: