Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

77_Bus_Girl wrote:
well then, glad I never ordered one! And it seemed like a good deal!

So, if not that one, is there a bus version that is quality that won't run me $72 plus shipping and tax like at German Supply? Seems crazy to pay upwards of $100 for that

Yea, these are legit, will run about $40 bucks, and still available:

riverside66 wrote:
Seller Notch1500 on ebay has some OEM SGF couplers left:

In this listing here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201787113196?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-OEM-Bay-window-van-stee...SwA3dYf18j

More info on SGF: https://www.sgf.de/en/sgf-sueddeutsche-gelenkschei...pling.html

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Deleted picture of wrong part.
Tcash

I got mine yesterday, having responded to this ad:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122153686890

and it looks just like this. The logo has been ground off. But the one in the photo on the site has the logo. they even include an extra photo emphasizing the logo:
http://www.vwispwest.com/cm/251419417-3.jpg

So, first off, that is suspicious as hell. Why would they remove the logo?

Second, grinding off the logo has changed the properties of the part, and I would no longer trust it to do its job. Those little microabrasions are now points of weakness from which cracking could start.

I am returning mine since it was not ad advertised, and in my view it has been damaged.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

So, first off, that is suspicious as hell. Why would they remove the logo?

Second, grinding off the logo has changed the properties of the part, and I would no longer trust it to do its job. Those little microabrasions are now points of weakness from which cracking could start.

I am returning mine since it was not ad advertised, and in my view it has been damaged.

Keep it, it's fine.

Grinding off the logo is very common in the aftermarket parts industry. The mold for making the part includes the logo but if the part is not sold through the VW/Audi parts department it cannot have the VW/Audi logo even though it's the same part made by the same manufacturer on the same equipment.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Keep it, it's fine.

Grinding off the logo is very common in the aftermarket parts industry. The mold for making the part includes the logo but if the part is not sold through the VW/Audi parts department it cannot have the VW/Audi logo even though it's the same part made by the same manufacturer on the same equipment.

If that's the case then the seller should say so, and not draw attention to the logo that he then removes. Rolling Eyes
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I doubt it was the seller. My bet is that it was VW, what with their aggressive brand protection.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Either way. The seller should show photographs of what he is selling, though.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Seller stated what models it fits. Bay wasn't included. Tristessa was going by part number. It's not sellers fault. I dunno

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Finally got around to swapping out my "premium quality" disc for the OEM one I pickup from CIP1 awhile back. The new one is as below
static wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Before installing it I thought it would be nice to have a simple way of testing the stiffness of one disk to another. That way if you don't have a "good" one to compare to you could use this test to get an idea of how your disc compares.
This is by no means any kind of certified ASTM or EN rubber deformation test or anything. Just something that seemed like a good idea to me.
So here is the setup

I tested both of my discs this way and found that with the 15lb weight there was 15mm of flex in the OE one. That's nice as you get a 1:1 weight: bend ratio. The "premium quality" disc gave 19mm of bend with the same weight. So this one bends 1:1.27 or if you like it's 79% as stiff as the OE disc. Test was conducted at 25C if you are worried about temperature effect.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Well....thats not actually a very accurate method at all.

When testing rubber or any elastomer there are more measurements than just hardness...and your measurement is not one used for hardness.

Elasticity or rebound under load is actually what you seem to be trying to measure. While durometer and elasticity have their arms "interlinked".....one can increase or decrease without an exact linear affect on the other.

This is especially so with a "composite" part like the steering coupler with reinforcing strands cast into it. You will never know if what you measure is an affect from the tensile strength and elasticity of the reinforcing cords, how and if they are woven...or from the rubber itself.

The other problem here is that this type of rubber (and most for that matter)...harden with age...ALWAYS.
So if you are comparing to an original disc or an NOS disc.....the original or NOS disc will ALWAYS be harder than an identically made new one of the same material....and at this late date....decades down the line....you will have no idea of what durometer and elasticity the manufacturers actually intended it to be unless you find a blueprint with the state specification.

If you like a stiffer coupler disc...and have one that you like that is not OLD in your hand....drop into any plastics or rubber supply and have them use their durometer tester and pull tester on it to give you a durometer and elasticity/force #....then use that to compare new build discs for quality level. That takes about five minutes tops.

I think your test has some usefulness for an elasticity comparison...but not for actual hardness.

If you lived close by I could test the durometer for you. I have local connections that could test the elasticity for you....but again...if the part you are comparing it to is more than 7-10 years old....you are comparing apples to oranges. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

The coupler pulled from my dad’s 79 Transporter.

Note the maker’s mark, different from the elephant I’ve seen.
Also to note, my boys at Bus Depot DO NOT have a good coupler, I was very disappointed.
The biggest improvement I noticed from changing mine out was a “smoothness” making turns, and completing the cycle back to center of the wheel.
Edit: I located a good stiff, “Brazilian” coupler from a guy out west, you can see it as shown, this is NOT the one from BD.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

If you want to discuss feedback please post it in the appropriate thread. So anyone researching feedback can find it.

Buyer and Seller Feedback

Thank You
Tcash
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Here's a great way to waste your time and money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S27LszXg0O8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Here's a great way to waste your time and money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S27LszXg0O8

Well that sucks! Laughing

Are they reinforcing that with metal (like a steel-belted tire) rather than the proper fiber?
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Are they reinforcing that with metal (like a steel-belted tire) rather than the proper fiber?

Apparently so. Also,
kreemoweet wrote:
Just remember that those conductive couplers are fine for use in late bays that have a different horn circuit arrangement.

... so maybe these are not meant for the early Baywindow. But when ordering, they show all years application. I am thinking about a work-around insulating set of additional hardware, and will report back.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Good on you for finding it; I read your post in the your other thread about how you found it. I would never have even though to check the coupler itself for continuity. I'd probably still be trying to figure out WTF was touching ground! Laughing
Sage79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

So I bought three of the good ones a while back. On my '79 and '77 it was a piece of cake. Then I went to do the '73 and that's a whole different game.

How much of the steering assembly needs to come loose or be removed in order to access the bolts through the floor? The late cover just slides up the tube, the earlier one I can't tell how it's held on. There were some earlier references in this thread but I'm still not clear and the Bentley doesn't cover just this operation.
'77 delux 2.0FI 090Auto - now my son's
Sage79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Nobody wants to help me out here? The bus is now my daughter's so it's not at my house and I want to get the procedure and tools figured out before I try again. Thanks,
'77 delux 2.0FI 090Auto - now my son's
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

You can replace the coupling disc without taking any of the steering column apart. In fact the Bentley has you remove the coupling bolts before removing the steering column on page 28 of the Front Axle section.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

The early bay (68-74) steering column and cover plate were connected by means of a plastic bushing. It has been reported here by many that
separating the two without destroying the bushing is quite difficult, and in any case will invoke strong language and sometimes bloodshed. Given
that, you will probably want to work from below on your '73.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

If you do destroy the plastic collar they are available repopped. Can't remember where maybe WCM?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 31

Jump to: