Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
If you do destroy the plastic collar they are available repopped. Can't remember where maybe WCM?

I would LOVE to know where this is sold. A friend of mine is completely missing it on his '72 bus and the column just wiggles around down there...

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

yes, please share the source if you can find it..

mine isn't missing but pretty dang brittle. was barely able to salvage it when I changed the coupler
71 Deluxe Bay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Found. Please see this topic for bushing discussion.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8576444#8576444

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I just bought this on ebay and only afterwards noticed there are no markings on it but the add says and shows the German manufacturer so just wanted to confirm and/or get your thoughts if it is in fact oem and maybe why no markings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-German-VW-Bus-Steerin...2749.l2649
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

It could be OEM and have no markings, but that is not usually the case. Is it stiff and hard to bend or does it fold like a tortilla?

Aloha
tp
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Did it come in vewib bag? The vewib ones I got last year had markings and are as hard as a hockey puck. Very hard to bend.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I just bought it today so don't have it hand yet but saw this thread afterwards with pics of OEM with markings that this one doesn't have so just wondering. Their description seems like they know wjat their talking about so I guess I wait and see. Fingers crossed it was almost double most others.
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

the ebay picture shows the bag and brand so most likely it's the correct one just a picture of the back side or something but I just saw this one one ebay for a type 1 that also says OEM but with the cloth type center which I thought after reading this thread that the cloth type was inferior I realize its for a type 1 which I need for a speedster replica.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Steering-Coupler-Factory-Cl...mp;vxp=mtr
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

the seller of the vevib says this showing a picture of the corded style now I'm confused Surprised Confused

"You DO NOT want to use one of these cord filled pieces of junk on your bus."
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

rayroc wrote:
the seller of the vevib says this showing a picture of the corded style now I'm confused Surprised Confused

"You DO NOT want to use one of these cord filled pieces of junk on your bus."

That coupler in picture 7 is junk. OEM and good couplers do have cord.

Aloha
tp
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

But isn't picture #7 one that's corded?

The one they're selling as OEM vewib is not corded
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

rayroc wrote:
But isn't picture #7 one that's corded?

The one they're selling as OEM vewib is not corded

Yes they say #7 is corded and they say it is junk, but it is not the cord that makes it junk. OEM are corded. I assume the cord holds it together if the rubber cracks and fails. #7 also does not have the steel inserts flush with the rubber surface. You get what you pay for and if it's a tortilla sold as OEM, it's a waste of time, effort, and money.

Aloha
tp
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

ok gotcha didn't even notice that they only mentioned it as junk referring to it being corded but I see what you mean now
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I was in fixing my horn and noticed the steering coupler was in rough shape. So I ordered one online and swapped it out. Then read this thread. Looks like I got the 'premium quality' one. bends somewhat easily in the hand (can't taco it but it bends). Very noticeably sloppy once installed, wheel springs back and forth and the steering feels much less solid.

I have ordered a new part from Custom and Commercial in the UK, they were the only one with any stock after checking through all the links in this thread.

I cut open the old one to see what was inside, hence the chunk.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

All of the originals were...."corded". Its reinforced rubber. There are many varieties of it. You can buy it by the sheet.

It was very interesting to see the conductive one a few months back. Yes....you can buy rubber that has metallic reinforcement...much like steel belted tires.

Whoever spec'd or made that re-pop part obviously had no idea how it was actually used. Laughing
Ray
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
All of the originals were...."corded". Its reinforced rubber. There are many varieties of it. You can buy it by the sheet.

It was very interesting to see the conductive one a few months back. Yes....you can buy rubber that has metallic reinforcement...much like steel belted tires.

Whoever spec'd or made that re-pop part obviously had no idea how it was actually used. Laughing
Ray

Yeah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S27LszXg0O8
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

Yeah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S27LszXg0O8

maybe carbon. Carbon conducts. Lampblack is also a coloring agent. Too much carbon (lampblack) in the rubber.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

This version seems to be reinforced with wire mesh. I made it work by substituting the steel bushings with nylon and added nylon washers on both ends of the bolts.
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Thought I'd share a pic of the C & C part I just got. It seemed like the best option after looking through all the prior links in this thread. All others suggested as best options are sold out.

C and C feels like it bends about as much as the 'premium quality' one. Maybe its a little stiffer, didn't do side to side comparison. The latter one is still installed, I'm getting used to it and running it for now, I had a buddy check from below to make sure it wasn't flexing too much while cranking on the wheel (seems OK). Have the new C & C one as a spare, or will swap out next time I need to go back in there.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

either you have a kung fu grip, or that is made of play-dough. the real deal ones don't flex like that

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 31

Jump to: