Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
One thing to watch with any coupler

Make sure you understand where the bolts/nut come under tension, that is, what are they hitting as you reach final torque. A rubber parts will relax and give up its tension which will let a conventional bolt nut get loose.

If you think it’s tensioned on a rubber part...

Loctite
Castellation/split pins
Locknuts
Other

...and always an acute engineering solution of steering situational awareness

Perhaps a 3 month inspection Interval?

The fasteners should torque against the spacers in this application and against shoulders in similar ones.
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

bvolks wrote:
I have one of these coming on Friday. Hopefully, it's one of the good ones.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D211%2D415%2D417%2DGR

I just got it and it isn't exactly like the one pictured in the ad, but it seems quite "solid".
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
vw nutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

For anybody interested i have 5x NOS new old stock original VW steering couplings for sale.
$100 each ink shipping world wide.

See my for sale add in the classifieds

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

https://www.bus-ok.de/Steering-Column-Coupling-for-T2-867-779-OEMnr-211-415-417 30EU from Jeff at Bus-Ok.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
https://www.bus-ok.de/Steering-Column-Coupling-for-T2-867-779-OEMnr-211-415-417 30EU from Jeff at Bus-Ok.

That looks to be identical to this coupler which is available from many vendor on this side of the pond for way less:

https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/coupler-steering-shaft-211-415-417/

Both have the term "Premium Quality" embossed on them.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:

That looks to be identical to this coupler which is available from many vendor on this side of the pond for way less:

Thanks Mike. Airhead states that SGF makes them for VW but they are out. CIP1 has the SGF ones, and they are also mentioned earlier in this thread. $23 https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-211-415-417-GR
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Thanks Mike. Airhead states that SGF makes them for VW but they are out. CIP1 has the SGF ones, and they are also mentioned earlier in this thread. $23 https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-211-415-417-GR

The cheaper of the ones CIP1 sells says "Premium Quality" on the coupler while the more expensive one carries the VW symbol (but is it authentic VW?)

Maybe what we need is for someone to take one of these into their local NAPA and match it up to something on the shelf, say a Ford part and then go out and buy the actually factory Ford part and let people know if it is high quality and a good fit.
vw nutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

The "premium Quality" ones are total TRASH!! junk, find out for your self
I tested almost everyone rubber coupling on the market, there all junk!
None of them are any good compared to original VW/ SGF/Hartig ones.

Don't be fooled by cheap pricing and knock off copies.
The couplings are manufactured in a special way according to the original
manufacturer.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

The more expensive coupler from CIP1, one should probably call before ordering and verify that what they have on the shelf is the same as what they show.

https://www2.cip1.com/v/vspfiles/photos/VWC-211-415-417-GR-2.jpg?v-cache=1553085655
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I have experience with the "Premium Quality" one in a Type 3, not a Bus, so it's a different coupler but presumably same manufacturer. It is indeed junk. Folds up like a soft taco. It would flex/fold enough to allow adjacent bolts at the coupler flange to contact each other, causing the horn to sound during times of heavy load, like parallel parking.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

The cheaper of the ones CIP1 sells says "Premium Quality" on the coupler while the more expensive one carries the VW symbol (but is it authentic VW?)

If it has the VW logo you can be reasonably assured that it is a genuine VW part otherwise VW would have sued the maker into oblivion by now.

Generally when the OEM manufacturer makes the same part for aftermarket sales the VW logo is ground off but otherwise the part is identical.

In my case the one I replaced the "premium quality" coupler with was one made by SGF, an OEM. SGF is a major OEM (original equipment manufacturer) of these kinds of flexible couplings for VW and other carmakers. https://www.sgf.de/en/

In my case it was made for aftermarket sales because the VW logo had been ground off but otherwise all the markings were the same including the SGF logo. It is properly stiff and has been perfect - no unwanted horn sounding due to coupler flex.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

When I am out of stock of the OE ones, I also sell them at 13.95

(famous Bagel joke)
Richard Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D211%2D415%2D417%2DGR

$23.99 In stock Free Shipping Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

If it has the VW logo you can be reasonably assured that it is a genuine VW part otherwise VW would have sued the maker into oblivion by now.

Generally when the OEM manufacturer makes the same part for aftermarket sales the VW logo is ground off but otherwise the part is identical.

In my case it was made for aftermarket sales because the VW logo had been ground off but otherwise all the markings were the same including the SGF logo. It is properly stiff and has been perfect - no unwanted horn sounding due to coupler flex.

To be accurate....not actually for aftermarket sales. Its usually a production overrun or dealer overstock that is liquidated or a phased out NOS part.

For example TON of the parts for WC cars that come from ECS tuning are current dealer stock VW parts...come in the dealer bags with all the dealer decals...usually at about 10-15% discount. I just bought new original VW rear shocks last week for my Golf. They came in full on dealer bags with all VW logos. They are still current stock.

However....the upper shock mounts....which are VW parts....as you note...came with the VW logo ground off.

My point is that they are not made as aftermarket parts. They were 100% destined for VW but are usually unneeded stock.
But if they are not going to be bought or sold through a VW agent (like the shocks...which are just a volume buy through VW of America...so logos and packaging are allowed to stay on) .....they logo comes off. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fairmounter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Someone did. Suzuki Samurai, take a look back on page 18.

Wildthings wrote:

Maybe what we need is for someone to take one of these into their local NAPA and match it up to something on the shelf, say a Ford part and then go out and buy the actually factory Ford part and let people know if it is high quality and a good fit.

dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

So, after reading all this I ordered the VW coupler from Cip1 and got OEM! I'm kind of annoyed! Should I be??
Ordered this...

Got this...

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

it looks like the same mold and quality. Personally I would not worry about it unless you are doing a perfect 100 point $75,000 restoration.
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
it looks like the same mold and quality. Personally I would not worry about it unless you are doing a perfect 100 point $75,000 restoration.

My restoration is more of a 10 point $750 version!! Laughing
If the quality is good and it's safe I don't care but they really should change the picture if they're not sending one with the VW logo on it.

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

That’s the dilemma of wanting to pay online volume prices and expecting brick and mortar service.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That’s the dilemma of wanting to pay online volume prices and expecting brick and mortar service.

nah. See it in brick and mortar too. There is no such thing as service anymore in 90% of businesses. It's more like wadda you want this time?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 31

Jump to: