Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
either you have a kung fu grip, or that is made of play-dough. the real deal ones don't flex like that

x2

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

So...is Vewib a good one?

rayroc, you bought one recently, what's your feedbacK?

Looks like there are some still available through a seller on eBay.
Tiernay TT10 APU gas turbine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

hometurbine wrote:
So...is Vewib a good one?

rayroc, you bought one recently, what's your feedbacK?

Looks like there are some still available through a seller on eBay.

Yea, looking into buying one as well. How much flex does it have compared the the other ones mentioned on this thread?
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Cip1, of all places, has a German coupler on sale right now. Of course, this will only help if you’re reading this prior to March 31, 2018.

Steering Coupler
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I haven't read every post so apologies if it's been said already.
The cheapy bendy ones will eventually tear right off. I had a customer drive from France to UK with his torn off and somehow wrapped around the brake pedal. 180 degrees of free play at the steering wheel but the bolts dangling from the column caught on the steering box part due to the nuts on the end and the spacers that had been part of the coupling. If he'd pulled up on the wheel they wouldn't have. Customer hadn't even looked underneath, he just wanted to get home. A French mechanic had advised him to "take it steady and he'd be ok". The French aren't too fond of Brits!
sixty9fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Well, count Cip1 "German OEM" out. They are now shipping garbage from bbtvw.com. it's marked Germany, but floppy like a soft taco... for $33 plus shipping, I'm pissed. Off to try again somewhere...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Great! Another piece of shit with that fabulous word Germany on it like that is supposed to imply quality. Laughing

FWIW, the steering coupler I mentioned in the link I posted in the previous page of this thread is holding up great. I put the nylon sleeves in it so my horn circuit would work properly.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

sixty9fasty wrote:
Well, count Cip1 "German OEM" out. They are now shipping garbage from bbtvw.com. it's marked Germany, but floppy like a soft taco... for $33 plus shipping, I'm pissed. Off to try again somewhere...

Damn. I ordered a pair from them thinking it was the real deal.

Did you contact them and process a return?
(sold - but not forgotten)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

what is most important is:

the compression of the puck
longevity
electrical conductivity

Someone with a couple of these could rig a system of testing to see how different ones compress when being turned - how many inch pounds are needed to compress it a set distance.

A nut welded to other side of these will provide someplace to attach a torque wrench. This one was set up for adjusting steering boxes so the nut is on the wrong side.

Once that is done, different brands can be tested. How much they bend is not a realistic test. You want them to twist if you get thrown into the steering wheel, but you don't want them to compress when they are being turned. (I have no idea whether the one here marked OEM is any good or not. Fortunately I bought a bunch of real VW ones when they were still around but they are all sold now so I can guess what it would feel like to have one make sloppy steering.)

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

You guys may as well give up with these. Unless they are NOS forget it. And those are long gone.Germany is not a proprietary name. These “OEM Germany” ones are being sold everywhere in the world. Some company is turning them out as fast as they can. The only good one that I have found is being sold by Bughaus. You can see what it looks like on page 6 of this thread. It’s very well made and has several layers of the webbing or mesh molded into the rubber so that it won’t tear. It does bend slightly but but not much. Just checked their site and it says out of stock. Perhaps try calling and see if he’s getting more in.
sixty9fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
sixty9fasty wrote:

Damn. I ordered a pair from them thinking it was the real deal.

Did you contact them and process a return?

Not yet... not sure if be worth the $15 back to them shipping, since it was $30...
sixty9fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Also... just ordered this from notch1500 on eBay.... maybe good🤞🏻

BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Thanks. Let me know how it is.

I ordered a pair from CIP1 so I will initiate a return for sure. Send them an email so they know it's a bad part fron bbtvw and not as good as their previous inventory from vewib.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:

I ordered a pair from CIP1 so I will initiate a return for sure. Send them an email so they know it's a bad part fron bbtvw and not as good as their previous inventory from vewib.

yes, the VEWIB's were great. as hoody stated you could barely bend them. iirc they had the vw emblem ground off of them

I can't believe these fucking vendors can't get such a crucial part right. oh wait...yes I can

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
sixty9fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:

Sent them feedback on their floppy taco of a steering coupler... deaf ears I'm sure
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
You guys may as well give up with these. Unless they are NOS forget it. And those are long gone.

The real NOS couplers are out there. I found four at a VW swap meet by chance. And too everyone's point, they are very rigid and don't flex much.

P.S., I kept one for me and the other three were sold to VW bus friends already.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

sixty9fasty wrote:
Also... just ordered this from notch1500 on eBay.... maybe good🤞🏻

Any update on the quality of this part?
Esher127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

sixty9fasty wrote:

I also ordered one of these thinking it was German OEM and got the same bbtvw part you did.

I went ahead and installed it. My old factory coupling was so shot that it's still a huge improvement in steering feel and the horn works fine. I'm satisfied with it.... I guess.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

The word "OEM" actually on the product or it's packaging is a dead giveaway that you're getting third-world crap.
Sometimes the word is used in a product description just to indicate that the part comes from some company/brand that
used to supply the part to VW back in the day. Even there, it's just marketing BS, because company and brand names
live on long after the original concern that used them is gone, and even if there's some continuity in the company,
there is no reason to assume that the product is even close to meeting the specs or quality control that the item met when it was being
supplied to VW.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I'm still just marveling.....that far too many times.....people are judging the quality of one of theze parts....by comparing its "bend-ability". Rolling Eyes

While this part should not be floppy......what are you comparing it to? An ancient NOS part?

You DO realize....that these are made from Buna-N for the most part right?....and that Buna-N has a listed shelf life in "hardness" critical parts of 3-5 years right?
While this part is not what I would call hardness CRITICAL.....they list 3-5 years because at room temp....this rubber starts to show considerable hardness increase within that period.

With that same rubber type 15 years is the max shelf life for o-rings and sheet gasket because tbrough natural oxidization they become to hard to properly flex and seal.

Typical hardness increase after 15 years is between 15-20 durometer. With starting durometer of 45-55.....an original coupling made 25 years ago can be close to 75-80 durometer.....which is just about the same as the average NEW urethane control arm bushing.

Think about that hardness comparison for a moment.

Also....molded rubber parts...eapecially reinforced layered rubber parts.....do not have the same strength in all directions. Folding/bending one in half....is not a test of its torsional strength.

If a part is poor and fails quickly....thats one key thing. If one bends one in an axis its never designed to be strong in....and compares its hardness with a 25 year old sample....and then deems it a poor or failed part with no other testing.....thats kind of shortsighted. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 31

Jump to: