Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

ray....

if you can taco that coupler by hand, it's junk. I have had VEWIB ones, impossible to bend like that....but they will bend a tiny bit.

for the layman, it's a good test. the floppy dick ones twist under torque....badly. so when you crank the wheel sitting still the coupler twists quite a bit before the wheels do.

the problem with this is it stretches/tears the steel bushings in the coupler. if you're lucky...you'll feel it before it totally lets loose....if you're unlucky...well...

seeing the steering shaft and lower coupler are 90* from each other, there is NO mechanical connection between the 2....it's only the coupler.

they need to have some give in them as the steering column and box are not 100% in line. look at a coupler spin, it's more elliptical than concentric.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
ray....

if you can taco that coupler by hand, it's junk. I have had VEWIB ones, impossible to bend like that....but they will bend a tiny bit.

for the layman, it's a good test. the floppy dick ones twist under torque....badly. so when you crank the wheel sitting still the coupler twists quite a bit before the wheels do.

the problem with this is it stretches/tears the steel bushings in the coupler. if you're lucky...you'll feel it before it totally lets loose....if you're unlucky...well...

seeing the steering shaft and lower coupler are 90* from each other, there is NO mechanical connection between the 2....it's only the coupler.

they need to have some give in them as the steering column and box are not 100% in line. look at a coupler spin, it's more elliptical than concentric.

Yes.....if they are "floppy" and fold in half.... thats too soft. I get that YOU have tried these...fitted them in place and observed them to see that if they twist or not.
Thats what I am suggesting others do when they find a part that has not been reviewed by someone who has "tested" the part....like you would.

My point is that just trying to bend it...with some people being apes...and others being wimps Laughing ....is not an ideal test by any means.

The problem is that these "should" have a reinforcing scrim of either cotton or glass mat cast inside them between the layers. Its this layer that makes them stronger laterally in the "stretch" direction than it will in the "fold" direction.

Its this layer that someone even found a while back...I think back a few pages in this thread...that used nice...strong...steel reinforcing threads... Laughing Rolling Eyes ..making it conduct between the ferrules/bushings.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixty9fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
sixty9fasty wrote:
Also... just ordered this from notch1500 on eBay.... maybe good🤞🏻

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any update on the quality of this part?

It's the best of what I've received. I can bend it nearly on its self, but it takes a lot more effort than the bbtvw coupling. To the point where my wife can bend the bbtvw one easily, yet struggles to bend this one at all.
I'll be using it.

I also received one from a seller on eBay that goes by oe4vanagon. It was completely unlabeled, though advertised as vewib, and pictured with a vewib bag. When i received it I was sorely disappointed to see that the bag was labeled for a rear hatch seal.. it's stiffness is somewhere between the notch1500 coupling and the bbtvw coupling. He swore it was oem...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWSunny72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I’m due for a new one as well...I’m curious if anyone has tried the one sold by Just Kampers? It says it’s manufactured by JK directly and it’s a bit pricey, but I’ve found their stuff to usually be quality. This one isn’t currently being sold by BD. Any thoughts?

https://www.justkampers.com/211-415-417-steering-column-coupling-vw-t2-bay-1967-1979.html
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Go to the JK US website and put in Steering column coupling. It shows it in stock for 46 dollar. Which sounds about right. Don’t buy it from England you will get bent over on the exchange rate and shipping. If you don’t like it it will not be worth returning. They would have brass balls charging 46 dollars for the current junk couplers. So for under 10 bucks in shipping I would say it’s well worth taking a chance on it. Try calling them and asking them to check the flexibility.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Bughaus is showing this one in stock. I found it to be a close second to the OE.
https://www.bughaus.com/Steering_Coupler_-_211415417.htm

Good luck
Tcash
VWSunny72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Hey TCash do you know if that BugHaus link is the corded VEWIB that other’s have mentioned that they have had good success with?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

VWSunny72 wrote:
Hey TCash do you know if that BugHaus link is the corded VEWIB that other’s have mentioned that they have had good success with?

Not the Vewib. It is the following one pictured.
Steering Coupling Disc 211 415 417 (coupler) T2
VWSunny72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. You must have sold a few with your last post because they are now showing out of stock!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

get on the phone Tuesday and call Erik. Ask him what he sells there at the bughaus. He has never let me down or been anything but stellar with me.
VWSunny72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Kent, don’t worry about me...just get home safely. I’m gearing up for a family trip to Denver from SF in a few weeks. Stocking up on some parts that look a bit shoddy.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

My coupler was in need of replacement.

I purchased two from oevanagon on ebay. They were in small ziploc kitchen sandwich bags with vewib tape wrapped around them. The couplers didn't fit in the bags and now the listing says manufactured by FORST.

I also purchased the version from notch1500 in the UK.

Ultimately, I opted for the UK version given its strength and German labelling and the fact that the vewib ones did not match the quality of the vewib version of old. I don't have pics of the vewib ones as I returned them. The seller promptly refunded my money.

The job is much easier with two people. One working from above and one working from below.

Here are some pics:

BEFORE:

OLD vs NEW:

AFTER:

(sold - but not forgotten)
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Pretty sure you have that wrong. I just removed one on a 78 and the big thick washers were under the column shaft acting as spacers. I put it back the way I found it. Again, the one I did was original to the bus

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Assembly Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

^^^^^
Yep...that's the right way

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I just looked at several of these on ebay, and only one had the VW logo in the photo, from BugHaus. The others looked like unlabeled suspect junk.

I bought one of these a few years back,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-TYPE-1-3-PORSCHE-356-B...Sw8d5ZVC-r
but was suspicious seeing that the logos, apparently in the photo, had been ground or filed off. I sent it back for a a refund.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD

Last edited by jtauxe on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Pretty sure you have that wrong. I just removed one on a 78 and the big thick washers were under the column shaft acting as spacers. I put it back the way I found it. Again, the one I did was original to the bus

Good eye. Yes you are correct.

I guess I know what I am doing after work today.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I sent an email to an old connection of mine. He was without question “The Guru” of all things rubber in the VW world. I explained to him all of the current issues with these new “OEM” coupling discs. If anyone can source the quality ones he can. He still has his old contacts in Germany. I will let everyone know what he finds out.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:

Good eye. Yes you are correct.

I guess I know what I am doing after work today.

Thanks to skills and his keen eye and his willingness to share feedback, here is the corrected install:

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Today I received the new steering coupling disc from my old contact. As I stated this gentleman was THE go to guy for all things rubber in the VW world. The steering disc looks and feels identical to the ones that he use to sell years ago which were genuine German VW. This disc does flex but not easily. It does not have the mesh web in it. But neither did the ones he sold ten years ago. There are no markings on it at all. His contacts told him these are new production discs from Classic VW Parts in Germany. It came in a Classic VW Parts bag. If anyone would like to see pics of it PM me and I will send you pics of it. You can then post them on here for others to see. He did not give me a price on them and he will make them available for sale on here not me. Based on all of the bootleg garbage out there I have seen. It appears that there is finally a great quality steering coupling disc available.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 31

Jump to: