Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Let’s see

1k with 12 volts across it loads 10 milliamperes

That’s non conductive as far as horn supply goes. I’m guessing Ray is right, that the carbon is the source of conductivity, but someone really technical can clarify maybe.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Let’s see

1k with 12 volts across it loads 10 milliamperes

That’s non conductive as far as horn supply goes. I’m guessing Ray is right, that the carbon is the source of conductivity, but someone really technical can clarify maybe.

Yep....this could be more made to act conductive....if there were more volts/amps applied.....but then at that point there would/could be some level of inductive heating.

We still just do not know anything ....really....about the original specification of this part until someone digs up some production documentation....like a blue print. Like what we find for the fuel injection connectors from AMP.....which specifies materials and tolerances.

How hard/durometer was it supposed to be? What material? Static dissipating material?......we just dont know.

Actually it would make sense.....and not just for this part but a few others.....that an engineer "might" specify static dissipation rubber.

And.....if that rubber were poorly formulated in some third world country .....you could easily get rubber that is conductive at a wholesale level like some of the re-pop parts have been found to be.

It also "could" simply be a layer on the surface crom the molding process or even have been caused from some mold release compound.

While I carry a lot of instruments......one of the few that I could really use that I have not yet invested in.....is a meter that measures volume resistivity. If the contract I was working for the past 6 months .....had not ended last week......had it continued say for another month....that tool would have been next on the list 😭.

Oh well.....it did last long enough/generate enough spare $ to get a new microscope, new durometer gauge, new dyne pins, new PH meter, new temp probes .....among other things.

A volume resistivity check would tell the tale on one of these couplers....whether its a design feature of the rubber or just a surface effect. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I measured 128ohm resistance across this German made coupler I bought for my KG. Made the horn blow all the time

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Found a good Japanese made one from a Suzuki Jimmy that was perfect.

I wonder if the 71 on bus couplers were designed to be conductive and that’s what is being sold for other applications as well.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Fairmounter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
I measured 128ohm resistance across this German made coupler I bought for my KG. Made the horn blow all the time

I wonder if the 71 on bus couplers were designed to be conductive and that’s what is being sold for other applications as well.

If Jimney couplers work, that could be very useful. Is this the one?
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuki-off-road-parts/samurai/steering/steering-rag-joint.html
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

bnam wrote:

The 68-74(? not sure of exact year) couplers should have all been NON-conductive, and after that, it just doesn't matter. Evidently VW changed the spec
when they changed the horn circuit on later bays, but failed to change the part number at the same time. As it stands now, all 71-79 busses can use the
the same coupler, with the same part number, but early bays will suffer if the coupler is conductive. The conductivity seems to be a random thing between
manufacturers. The measured resistance of a coupler in hand could be very misleading, as the resistance can drop dramatically when the coupler is
installed, and again when the coupler has stress applied to it, as it would in a hard turn.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Fairmounter wrote:
bnam wrote:

If Jimney couplers work, that could be very useful. Is this the one?
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuki-off-road-parts/samurai/steering/steering-rag-joint.html

That looks like the one. I have a part number I can look up in a few days
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
bnam wrote:

The 68-74(? not sure of exact year) couplers should have all been NON-conductive, and after that, it just doesn't matter. Evidently VW changed the spec
when they changed the horn circuit on later bays, but failed to change the part number at the same time. As it stands now, all 71-79 busses can use the
the same coupler, with the same part number, but early bays will suffer if the coupler is conductive. The conductivity seems to be a random thing between
manufacturers. The measured resistance of a coupler in hand could be very misleading, as the resistance can drop dramatically when the coupler is
installed, and again when the coupler has stress applied to it, as it would in a hard turn.

My 71 Bay uses a grounded column and can use a conductive coupler. With the 128ohm surface resistance, I had a constant horn.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
My 71 Bay uses a grounded column and can use a conductive coupler. With the 128ohm surface resistance, I had a constant horn.

Hmm, trying to figure what that might mean. The stock 71-74? horn circuit had a HOT steering column and column tube. That's why a conductive coupling
will cause the horn to sound in those vehicles: it allows current to flow from steering column to (grounded) steering box flange. The later busses had a GROUNDED column
and column tube, and had a wire jumper from the column to the steering box flange. Are you saying you have a late bay steering column/tube installed
in your '71? If so, whether the coupling is conductive or not would not matter a bit, and would not cause the horn to sound. Please explain.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
bnam wrote:

Hmm, trying to figure what that might mean. The stock 71-74? horn circuit had a HOT steering column and column tube. That's why a conductive coupling
will cause the horn to sound in those vehicles: it allows current to flow from steering column to (grounded) steering box flange. The later busses had a GROUNDED column
and column tube, and had a wire jumper from the column to the steering box flange. Are you saying you have a late bay steering column/tube installed
in your '71? If so, whether the coupling is conductive or not would not matter a bit, and would not cause the horn to sound. Please explain.

Poor writing on my part. The conductive part caused the horn to constantly blow on my 65 Ghia.

On my 71 bus, the column is NOT hot BUT that’s because PO installed 77 setup. I forget that little fact sometimes.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Fairmounter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

bnam wrote:

That looks like the one. I have a part number I can look up in a few days

Thanks. Correct parts are hard to get here and shipping from the US is not practical. But we have lots of Jimneys.

Do you recall what year Jimney it was from? The link I found is actually for a Samurai, though the parts stores here will likely have Jimney parts.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

1952 Citroen TA 11BL
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

How, on earth, did you ever figure this out?

Did you have to sort through hundreds of different steering couplers from various makes and models of cars in order to find the right one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fairmounter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

bnam wrote:

it looks like it doesn't have the metal sleeves where the bolts go through, would that be an issue?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Yes, but easily solved
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Yes, but easily solved

If one buys the kit from Suzuki it comes with new bushings.

https://suzukipartsusa.com/shop/steering-component...rai-86-95/
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

static wrote:
How, on earth, did you ever figure this out?

Did you have to sort through hundreds of different steering couplers from various makes and models of cars in order to find the right one?

Auto parts stores here are used to trying to match a used part to one that they have in stock. I posted on a local group and someone told me that this part was a match. So, I went to local Maruti-Suzuki parts distributor, looked up their parts book for the part number and bought the coupling and the matching bushings.

Byas
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

And.....I noted this several years ago....if you look closely at that Suzuki coupler...its made of reinforced sheet goods....which is just fine.

These do NOT have to be molded parts.

You can go to virtually any large hose and rubber shop, pick out reinforced material just like that and as long as its teh right thickness and does not conduct...they can punch out a coupler just like that in minutes. Those holes are all done with hollow core drills or single bevel die punches.

Those who live n Dallas or Houston have access to a fabulous company called Texas Rubber supply. They have miles of sheet goods of all type, are a hydraulic hose mfg....you name it. They have an entire rubber department with thousands of dies for making parts just like that and also have the punch and core drill presses and waterjets and shears....to make them custom.

There are many places in the US that do this type of work. You just have to look for them. Ray
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

One thing to watch with any coupler

Make sure you understand where the bolts/nut come under tension, that is, what are they hitting as you reach final torque. A rubber parts will relax and give up its tension which will let a conventional bolt nut get loose.

If you think it’s tensioned on a rubber part...

Loctite
Castellation/split pins
Locknuts
Other

...and always an acute engineering solution of steering situational awareness

Perhaps a 3 month inspection Interval?
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Make sure you understand where the bolts/nut come under tension, that is, what are they hitting as you reach final torque. A rubber parts will relax and give up its tension which will let a conventional bolt nut get loose.

Loctite
Castellation/split pins
Locknuts
Other

castellated nut/ cotter pin with the bolt oriented downward for the win!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Loctite
Castellation/split pins
Locknuts
Other

castellated nut/ cotter pin with the bolt oriented downward for the win!

FOR THE WIN!!!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 31

Jump to: